ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mandatory tipping of a bus driver.  (Read 15174 times)

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA
Re: Mandatory tipping of a bus driver.
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 02:15:27 AM »

When I was TM'ing we would always buy the driver's dinner when we ate together on long hauls. If there was a particularly nasty weather-related overnight or insane long haul, we would sometimes all chip in $20-$40 per guy in a gift card envelope to tip out the driver at the end of the ordeal.
I have never had a driver or bus company agent request or demand a driver tip though.

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »

I really don't get this at all. Everyone is there to do a job for which they get paid. Sing lead vox, tune guitars, push faders, load boxes, drive the damn bus. What makes the driver's job so significantly different that tipping is in order ?.
(Actually I don't understand any aspect of tipping and think it is a loathesome practise)
M

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 09:11:08 PM »

I really don't get this at all. Everyone is there to do a job for which they get paid. Sing lead vox, tune guitars, push faders, load boxes, drive the damn bus. What makes the driver's job so significantly different that tipping is in order ?.
(Actually I don't understand any aspect of tipping and think it is a loathesome practise)
M
You make a good point. It's just so common in the US to show that extra bit of appreciation with some cash. Of course, everyone thinks about the waiter, making significantly less then minimum wage, and how a tip is needed to allow them to make a decent rate. What they don't think about is often, in a restaurant situation, the server has to also "tip-out" the host, the busser, the kitchen staff, the bartender-- my friend Kyle, serving, would sometimes end up "in the hole" for the day if he got screwed on tips as the "tip-out" is based on the recorded sales, not the actual amount of tips he received.

That being said, if someone has gone out of their way and above their job description, I would like to recognize it. I even use that in the position as a business owner-- if I get great response from a client, I'll pay my guys extra just to show MY appreciation!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 11:01:56 PM »

M

The answer is simple. After a few thousand miles the driver becomes more than a hired hand, and in many cases becomes one of the family. I don't care how much people make, treat me good and I'll treat you good.

Some 15 years ago my band was hired to do a wedding. Now I don't do weddings usually, but this was a request from a friend who wanted blues and soul for music, plus the wedding was top notch and the reception was held at the top of the State Street building in Boston. We arrived, had our own room, fully comped bar, food, etc., first class all the way.

About 3 hours into the gig, and just before the last set someone in the crowd decided they wanted us to play the "chicken" dance. I had the bartender bring me the largest glass they had, a huge goblet thing that could hold a quart, and told the guy that if he could fill the glass with $10 bills we could do the "chicken" dance, and the money would go to everyone else in the band. I never thought the glass would be filled, but it was. The band was tipped, and we did the song. We were paid over $3K for the gig, plus transportation costs and separate pay for the roadies to load in and out. The tip for playing a really stupid song for 300 drunks? Over $600. Proof positive that a tip can get you almost anything.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 01:52:45 AM »

I would have paid you more than that not to play it!

Steve.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 04:24:07 AM »

heres my tip > dont smoke in bed ! i worked as a waiter a few times. waiters make less than minimum wage. you do a great job serving and you "might" get a tip. i always did the best i could and never thought about getting a tip. i counted my tips at the end of the day. then the jerk off manager wanted the wait staff to tip the bussers,cooks,dish machine operator even though they made minimum wage and above. i refused and the managers told the bussers not to clean my tables. i cleaned my tables and eventially some regular customers complained that the bussers were ignoring me. the jerk off managers told the customer about me not tipping out the other employess. some of the customers got really irrate about that and told managers it was MY tip. some asked for the owners name and a few days later us wait staff were no longer required to tip the non wait staff from OUR tips. btw i make my own dam bed !

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »

The answer is simple. After a few thousand miles the driver becomes more than a hired hand, and in many cases becomes one of the family. I don't care how much people make, treat me good and I'll treat you good.

Some 15 years ago my band was hired to do a wedding. Now I don't do weddings usually, but this was a request from a friend who wanted blues and soul for music, plus the wedding was top notch and the reception was held at the top of the State Street building in Boston. We arrived, had our own room, fully comped bar, food, etc., first class all the way.

About 3 hours into the gig, and just before the last set someone in the crowd decided they wanted us to play the "chicken" dance. I had the bartender bring me the largest glass they had, a huge goblet thing that could hold a quart, and told the guy that if he could fill the glass with $10 bills we could do the "chicken" dance, and the money would go to everyone else in the band. I never thought the glass would be filled, but it was. The band was tipped, and we did the song. We were paid over $3K for the gig, plus transportation costs and separate pay for the roadies to load in and out. The tip for playing a really stupid song for 300 drunks? Over $600. Proof positive that a tip can get you almost anything.

It can make you a bunch of mothercluckers.  ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 08:23:34 PM »

I've been touring for a long time, and never heard of tipping a driver out. It was explained to me that they didn't have to "straighten" the bus up, or change our sheets. I've always been told they get paid to change sheets. So why tip them? I don't get tipped?

I don't know if it's been said already, but if it's mandatory, then it's not a tip..
and if it is a mandated amount that the driver is expecting then he has no incentive to do more than his contracted amount of work (which is exactly the opposite of the spirit of tipping for above-and-beyond performance)

Jason

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 09:42:57 PM »

Perhaps we can fix this with an amendment to the minimum wage legislation. Lets raise the minimum wage to $50 and hr, and force minimum wage workers to tip everybody else.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 12:38:00 AM »

Perhaps we can fix this with an amendment to the minimum wage legislation. Lets raise the minimum wage to $50 and hr, and force minimum wage workers to tip everybody else.

JR
Something else I don't understand about the US. I see mention of waiters getting below minimum wage and being dependent on tips to survive. Surely a minimum is a minimum and anyone paying below that would be subject to legal sanction - It certainly works that way over here.
M

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 12:38:00 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.