ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mandatory tipping of a bus driver.  (Read 15173 times)

Al Rettich

Mandatory tipping of a bus driver.
« on: March 01, 2014, 12:11:16 PM »

I've been touring for a long time, and never heard of tipping a driver out. It was explained to me that they didn't have to "straighten" the bus up, or change our sheets. I've always been told they get paid to change sheets. So why tip them? I don't get tipped?

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Mandatory tipping of a bus driver.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »

I've been touring for a long time, and never heard of tipping a driver out. It was explained to me that they didn't have to "straighten" the bus up, or change our sheets. I've always been told they get paid to change sheets. So why tip them? I don't get tipped?

Tipping the driver helps to keep the bus between the ditches.  :o

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 01:48:38 PM »

The driver is not a porter.  I think it courteous and good business to offer a gratuity for services I receive beyond getting me to the next gig safely and on time.

A long, long time ago I saw a little plaque in a front lounge: "Your mother does not have a bunk, kindly pick up after yourself."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 05:39:55 PM »

Cab drivers get paid to drive you, waiters get paid to wait on you. yet it is customary to tip them.
It seems to just go by whatever the custom is.

Jason

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 06:24:42 PM »

Hey Al;
When you finally get a good driver after you've had a run of terrible drivers and consequently no sleep, a dirty/smelly bus, and so on, buying the good driver a drink on a non-drive night once in a while and throwing him $20 at the end of the tour is a small price to pay and I'd happily do it even if it wasn't "the norm". That being said, I wouldn't tip a bad driver, and it should never be mandatory.
All good drivers also clean the bus every day, change the sheets regularly, work as a shuttle driver, and let you know if you left something on the bus when the tour's over!
If you haven't had good drivers in the past, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you're out with us. ;-)
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Al Rettich

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 07:02:39 PM »

Andy,
Agreed on 99% of everything you just said. And I do buy them drinks, meals, etc. on days off.. But when you see a bus driver get $1,800 for overdrives, then being told from mgmt, that you have to tip the driver out $50 that's not cool.. Now, if it's a great bus (decent mattress, can catch up on news in the morning, good coffee maker), and the driver is smooth, ok I can see throwing him a bone.. But when he's making more money than I, I have a issue with tipping.. This particular run, there were four show days in a row where we were over a hour late to load in. Granted it was due to weather, but no one tipped the crew for working their asses off to get it up and done. And why not tip the truck driver who loads and unloads everyday? She should be tipped yes?

See you soon Andy..

Hey Al;
When you finally get a good driver after you've had a run of terrible drivers and consequently no sleep, a dirty/smelly bus, and so on, buying the good driver a drink on a non-drive night once in a while and throwing him $20 at the end of the tour is a small price to pay and I'd happily do it even if it wasn't "the norm". That being said, I wouldn't tip a bad driver, and it should never be mandatory.
All good drivers also clean the bus every day, change the sheets regularly, work as a shuttle driver, and let you know if you left something on the bus when the tour's over!
If you haven't had good drivers in the past, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you're out with us. ;-)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 07:15:45 PM »

I would disagree with mgmt on that one, but I guess it all depends on whether or not you need to play along to keep the peace. I've never seen it be mandatory before.
WRT truck drivers, there are good and bad there. A good one can cut your load-out time in half, by knowing the pack, organizing the gear on the dock, keeping the loaders working, calling the right cases and having no damaged gear at the end of the tour. I'd tip those drivers.
Cash tips for the crew are rare, but free meals, drinks, special events on days off happen from time to time. Sounds like we'll have some interesting discussions - see you soon.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »

In my touring days the bus and lead truck drivers were tipped by the production manager. They saw it as part of the expense of touring and did so out of petty cash. Good drivers were tipped more than bad drivers but it was never something the regular crew had to worry about. 

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »

I've heard of cow tipping... :-)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »

I've heard of cow tipping... :-)

JR

It's udderly necessary.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.