ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mandatory tipping of a bus driver.  (Read 15185 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Mandatory tipping of a bus driver.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 11:27:20 PM »

It's udderly necessary.
Good thing this topic is already in the basement, otherwise I would insist it be mooooooovved here.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 01:22:52 AM »

Cab drivers get paid to drive you, waiters get paid to wait on you. yet it is customary to tip them.
It seems to just go by whatever the custom is

Whilst some people over here (UK) do tip cab drivers and waiters, it is a lot less common than it appears to be in the US.  It would seem to be that the US employers regard tipping as part of their employees pay and pay them less to compensate.

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 04:48:58 AM »

Whilst some people over here (UK) do tip cab drivers and waiters, it is a lot less common than it appears to be in the US.  It would seem to be that the US employers regard tipping as part of their employees pay and pay them less to compensate.

Steve.

That's a very polite way to put it...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 07:26:33 AM »

Good thing this topic is already in the basement, otherwise I would insist it be mooooooovved here.

-Ray

A nice bottle of good bourbon is always appreciated...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 08:55:59 AM »

Bus drivers don't get paid to make your bed, coffee, etc. They get paid to drive. You also can't compare their job to that of a waitress whose paycheck depends on tips. All that being said my days weren't spent on busses with todays features and living space, so anything the driver did above and beyond was appreciated. The driver can be your best friend, or your worst enemy. It helps to tip.

If the driver is an asshole then an appropriate tip might be, "Never look directly into the sun.", and let it go at that.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »

Gratuity:
1. (Commerce) a gift or reward, usually of money, for services rendered; tip
2. something given without claim or obligation

I regularly tip service workers for a job well done and 99% of them graciously accept the gift. Those 1 percenters that inform me that a tip is manditory get nothing if I'm in a polite mood and get told to go fuck themselves if I'm not.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 03:21:58 PM »

If it's mandatory it's not a tip, it's a fee.  Your employer just shifted part of their payroll load from themselves to their employees.  That is explicitly illegal as you have described it.  A tip for any sort of personal service is often a good idea but an entirely different thing when mandated by an employer.

Andy,
... being told from mgmt, that you have to tip the driver out $50 that's not cool…..

See you soon Andy..

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 04:26:18 PM »

Another truism along with the customer is always right, is that the customer pays all payrolls and all business taxes for that matter. Despite the political spin to couch everything in terms of imaginary class divisions. 

In the case of a tour bus driver, there may be a little confusion over who the actual customer is. While the end-end customer may be the meat in the seats listening to concerts, the immediate customers are the meat in the bunks, being driven around.

Tipping being mandated by the "evil" boss man sounds pretty wrong, but it seems if he has the power to mandate a $50 per-rider gratuity, he also has the power to just deduct that from the rider's pay and credit it to the driver's pay.

Depending on when and how the tips are delivered, it could improve relations dramatically between the riders and driver. At worst it becomes a bad socio-economic  experiment. 

The last time I worked directly in the service industry was as a young puke with a paper route. I would get tips from some customers, and others I would have to chase for weeks, just to get paid what I was owed.  :o  I delivered all of their papers either way, but the generous customers got a little better service. That is just human nature in response to the economic incentive ir quid pro quo connecting better service with getting paid more money.

It seems better service and more money are both good things, while the cause and effect of this is not linear or guaranteed.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »

I've been touring for a long time, and never heard of tipping a driver out. It was explained to me that they didn't have to "straighten" the bus up, or change our sheets. I've always been told they get paid to change sheets. So why tip them? I don't get tipped?

No easy answer to this topic.
I think the trick is that the whole system of tipping is based on nobody really realizing what the "correct" time and amount is supposed to be and nobody wanting to be the ass.
Peer pressure plays a large part in the whole thing.

It's the inconsistency that gets me:
For example you are expected to tip a bartender but why not a flight attendant with the drink cart?
You're expected to tip a cabdriver, but not a pilot, train engineer or public transit driver?

I've also lately discovered that out here in the boonies, people rarely tip so it definitely seems to be a city thing.
(the people around here are generous to a fault so I do feel they "tip" in other ways)

So I'll continue being oblivious and just try to gauge the average response by others to a service and follow-suit :-)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Al Rettich

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »

Let me add to this conversation, the tour was averaging 2-3 overdrives per week. Yes, he was doing light cleanup everyday, but mostly he was driving. Now, from previous PM work I've done, I have a pretty good idea of what the driver is making, and with the overdrives, well he was banking! I've had bus drivers leave notes on where the stage doors are, get things that were broken fixed, always found a way to get us satellite. For that i'd be happy to tip!

No easy answer to this topic.
I think the trick is that the whole system of tipping is based on nobody really realizing what the "correct" time and amount is supposed to be and nobody wanting to be the ass.
Peer pressure plays a large part in the whole thing.

It's the inconsistency that gets me:
For example you are expected to tip a bartender but why not a flight attendant with the drink cart?
You're expected to tip a cabdriver, but not a pilot, train engineer or public transit driver?

I've also lately discovered that out here in the boonies, people rarely tip so it definitely seems to be a city thing.
(the people around here are generous to a fault so I do feel they "tip" in other ways)

So I'll continue being oblivious and just try to gauge the average response by others to a service and follow-suit :-)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 24 queries.