ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Everything is hum. Or is it?  (Read 11438 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Everything is hum. Or is it?
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 02:13:28 PM »

When dealing with many mechanical noise issues I will often have them turn off or cut off power to the AHU or other offending equipment and when that stops the noise I then sometimes claim that it is an obviously a matter of their having 'noisy power'.  It's interesting to see how people respond.

That's GREAT!!!  ;)

I'm going to try that next time and see if it works....  :o

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »

That's GREAT!!!  ;)

I'm going to try that next time and see if it works....  :o

Not to veer too far off topic, but even "quiet" HVAC contributes a lot of SPL.  Found out how much when I went in to physically measure our PAC's Concert Hall one night.  Air handling was off, and when I was measuring the width of the orchestra rear seating (under the balcony) I was surprised by the flutter echo that I'd never heard before.  This was the first time I'd been in the auditorium w/o HVAC running.  The noise was effectively masking the hard edges of the flutter, but the incoherency it created was still there.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »

This general ignorance about technology can cause us problems trying to negotiate consumer oriented service support.  A few years ago I had an intermittent DSL problem due to a faulty telephone line...

A few years ago, the Comcrap cable service that supplied our TV/phone/internet at home would go intermittent, mainly on the internet/phone service. Mot during the rain, but a day after the rain was over and only at night when the outdoor temps dropped.

The problem with customer service -- at least first line customer service -- is that they are trained that ALL problems are of a configuration nature in the customer equipment, and that it's impossible for there to be a hardware failure or configuration anywhere outside of the customer's equipment, because, after all, they have monitoring systems for all their own equipment that tell them when there's a problem and it's not telling them that there is a problem.

The DSL connection at a church I support wouldn't achieve advertised speeds and the error counts were through the roof. No amount of dealing with customer service resolved the issue. Finally, I identified a poor termination in the DMARC -- on the phone company's side. Some of the wire insulation was under the head of the screw, resulting in a high-resistance connection, but not high enough to affect voice service or completely bring down the DSL. After I repaired that connection, we were able to get the speed we were paying for, and the error counts went back to near zero.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »

There is a concert hall where our Meyer wedges with the VEAM cabling/hub system gets a little buzzy, and I can never reproduce it in the shop. So maybe it is dirty power, with a lot of harmonics (dimmer noise?). 

Next time we're there I'm going to have a little test rig so that I can look directly at it.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 11:35:58 PM »

Finally, We were nailed with a big snow storm that downed many trees in our town, several on my street. Power, phone, and cable were out for days until they replaced all the lines and busted poles. Problem fixed.

Why wait til a storm? Chain saw would have escalated a resolution quicker... :D

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 11:18:09 PM »

they had summed the Left audio channel and the digital S/PDIF output together.

I keep thinking I've seen it all when it comes to consumer mis-use but then this 'board never fails to deliver!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mike Sokol

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 12:39:08 PM »

I keep thinking I've seen it all when it comes to consumer mis-use but then this 'board never fails to deliver!

Yup.... No matter how well we idiot-proof things, they keep building better idiots.  ???

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 02:19:14 PM »

Yup.... No matter how well we idiot-proof things, they keep building better idiots.  ???
All we can ever hope for is idiot resistant:-[

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 02:28:19 PM »

All we can ever hope for is idiot resistant:-[

There is a cost to society for thwarting natural selection,,,,

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »

There is a cost to society for thwarting natural selection,,,,

JR

I believe you're referring to the Darwin Awards: http://www.darwinawards.com/  ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.