ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Moog Rogue Repair  (Read 4749 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
OT - Moog Rogue Repair
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »

Just slightly OT, but one of the local bands I've been helping found a dead Moog Rogue keyboard in their garage that's been laying there for 10 years or more. It was no-op when they fired it up, so they gave it to me. Yippee!!! I'm downloading schematics and will take it into school for my studio maintenance class in a few weeks. My music students really love fixing retro 70's gear.

I'm a keyboard bass player, so this will be a lot of fun to fix and play. It's basically the guts of the Moog Taurus Bass Pedals with an extra octave of range, so I have high hopes for what this sounds like. If we find anything interesting during the repair I'll post it here.

Mike Sokol

Re: OT - Moog Rogue Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:46:14 AM »

It's basically the guts of the Moog Taurus Bass Pedals with an extra octave of range, so I have high hopes for what this sounds like.

I looked on the schematic and see this has external keyboard and trigger inputs. That suggests that I could build a set of bass pedals with a simple 1-volt per octave output and play either key or pedal bass at will. All analog baby, with none of that MIDI digital stuff either. Now to get that SVT bass head running.

One bass keyboard to rule them all....

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:52:39 PM »

I played a Mini-Moog and a Micro-Moog back in the 80's. Love the sound of those old monophonic Analogs. They weren't great on staying in tune, though!

There's a TONTO on display where I live. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but it looks like a beast. This is the way synthesizers SHOULD look, methinks!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »

I played a Mini-Moog and a Micro-Moog back in the 80's. Love the sound of those old monophonic Analogs. They weren't great on staying in tune, though!

There's a TONTO on display where I live. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but it looks like a beast. This is the way synthesizers SHOULD look, methinks!

Very cool. I still have my Mini Moog, but need to repair the power supply. Yes, tuning is a challenge, but they do sound great. I'll use the Moog Rogue for my left-hand bass, and the Mini Moog for my right-hand/leads. BTW: Some 30 years ago I installed a 1:1 isolation transformer inside the Mini with a floated phone jack to get rid of the ground loop hum.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »

The Moog Rogue is being delivered tomorrow, so I'll finally get a look inside at what's wrong. I see from the schematic that it needs a 24-VAC wall wart to operate, and somebody in the band said it probably had a 12-volt DC supply plugged into it. Hmmmmmm..... That could be the entire fail. As long as it's not an over-voltage then it shouldn't have caused any component damage. So perhaps a new power supply and through contact cleaning should get it up and running. Then it's a calibration/tuning thing which is pretty involved but not impossible. I've calibrated and tuned my Mini-Moog many times, so this should be fun.

Now for the bass pedal thing. Found something that could work once I add the 1-volt/octave circuitry and connecting cables. If I can get the price down from $300, then it could be a go.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:17:24 PM by Mike Sokol »

Mike Sokol

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:06:24 AM »

My woodworking buddy found a full set of plans to build a new case for my Mini-Moog synth which I cut in half as soon as I bought it back in 1976 or so. Remember Gary Wright and Dream Weaver? As soon as I saw a cut Mini in concert I had to have one, so it was accomplished with a sabre saw and some mult-connectors.

The new case could be Cherry with a matt-flat finish. We'll be hand selecting the wood in a few weeks from a cabinet shop. Should be a beautiful rebuild.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:06:24 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.