ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: NOW I understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 7441 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: NOW I understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »

I can't tell you ('cuz I haven't counted) how many iDevice sync cables I've seen "broken in." People plug them into the front of their computers (which are sitting on the floor), then massage them with the wheels of their desk chair. This gives the conductors extra pliability which allows the music to get from the iTunes app to the iPod/iPhone without undue stress that would distort the digital bits -- something you might experience with a factory-new cable that's too stiff. It's best if the outer jacket is worn to the point where the inner conductors appear; that lets the bits get through easier, kind of like how a dirt road widens around a big pothole. At some point, the cord will fray at the plug and you'll have to patch it with scotch tape. This prevents the weak bits from getting through, ensuring that you only get the strong, reliable bits into your iPod/iPhone. Use only scotch tape, not black tape, as that will allow sunlight to more effectively cure the data.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 08:09:21 AM »

Dear Cable Manufacturer,

I broke in my cables as recommended but to my horror just realized that they were connected in the wrong direction during the break-in.  Can I turn them around and break them in for a longer period in the correct orientation or are they beyond hope?

Sincerely,

A consumer with more money then brains

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 12:10:26 PM »

Dear Cable Manufacturer,

I broke in my cables as recommended but to my horror just realized that they were connected in the wrong direction during the break-in.  Can I turn them around and break them in for a longer period in the correct orientation or are they beyond hope?

Sincerely,

A consumer with more money then brains
NOW you've done it.  You have gotten the electrons ALL KINDA CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!

It will probably take a lot longer than you think to get them all lined up so they know which direction to go.

Brad-I really thought you were smarter than to hook a cable up backwards-----------

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »

NOW you've done it.  You have gotten the electrons ALL KINDA CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!

It will probably take a lot longer than you think to get them all lined up so they know which direction to go.

Brad-I really thought you were smarter than to hook a cable up backwards-----------
It was dark, and reaching around the back of the rack he confused an innie for an outie.. ;D
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Chris Clark

• Jack of many trades, Master of few.
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 07:29:11 PM »

I think you're also supposed to "break-out" the cables after you've used up all their electrons. That way they can be properly disposed of without releasing harmful ions into the environment.

...kind of like how a dirt road widens around a big pothole
Where was THAT dirt road when I was growing up?  ;D If anything the potholes just widened to fill the road, at which point it ceased to be a pothole and became a ditch crossing the road.

Come to think of it, I think the road was literally just one big ditch.
Technical Services Coordinator
Entertainment System Designer
Darien Lake Theme Park, Darien Center NY

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »

How long should I break in my cables?

About an hour longer than the warranty period

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 08:49:26 AM »

Why knock them?  A third party, discount, break in service could utilize your gear when it is in the shop-let it collect money for you not dust! Why should they get all the easy money?
Steve Swaffer

Doug Hammel

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »

This explains why rental systems are not very consistent------------------

From a cable manufacturer:

"Cables require a total of 400 to 500 hours to completely break in. If you ordered our 2 day cable break-in service, your cables will arrive with the equivalent of 96 hours on them. If you ordered the extended 5 day breakin, the equivalent of 240 hours will be on them.

The "difficult stage" of the breakin, where the cables might be hard to listen to is between 50 to 100 hours. There can be brief periods however past this point. If you have an evening where they are hard to listen to, do not fret, this will quickly go away. All should be well the next day. When full breakin is reached, there will be no more changes with the sound.

Our cables are meant to be hooked up and left alone. If you later move your cables, 1 to 2 days might be required for them to "settle" into their new positions. If you notice a change in the sound, all will return after the 1 to 2 days. Again, do not fret!

All cable products require a break-in time for the sound quality to reach the maximum potential for that product. It can be a sonic roller coaster ride during break-in."

What is even worse is the people that actually believe that stuff. Maybe that is why we like looong load ins so our cables will "settle down". I wonder if this applies to lighting cables.  (sarc)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:17:48 PM by Doug Hammel »

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 12:34:30 PM »

What is even worse is the people that actually believe that stuff. Maybe that is why we like looong load ins so our cables will "settle down". I wonder if this applies to lighting cables.

[sarc]
Yes.  Dimming is more predictable.  Light is more flattering.  Flickering completely eliminated after 100 hours.  Longer bulb life.
[/sarc]

Corrected per JR suggestion
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:44:54 PM by frank kayser »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »

Unfortunately some fraction of the many people reading this thread may not get when people are joking about this so take some some sarcastic posts literally. Especially when not accompanied by emoticons denoting humorous intent. 

Just to be crystal clear this is nonsense. Cables do not need to be broken in.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.