ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epic rigging fails  (Read 2195 times)

John Fruits

Epic rigging fails
« on: February 28, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »

I just saw this flickr album posted at lightnetwork.com and thought of the post here in the lounge about portable staging.   So even the supposed BigBoys of the biz have issues.  The only thing I don't like is the lack of who, what, when, where and WHY of the photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64285153@N00/sets/72157625081046483
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Epic rigging fails
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:47:32 AM »

I just saw this flickr album posted at lightnetwork.com and thought of the post here in the lounge about portable staging.   So even the supposed BigBoys of the biz have issues.  The only thing I don't like is the lack of who, what, when, where and WHY of the photos.

The very first pic is of Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, from the Justin Timberlake/Christine Aguilera show.  The main grid came down because of human failure to follow instructions regarding the loading and operation of the grid.  That's about all I can say because the folks involved had to sign NDAs.

Most of the other pics involve similar issues - overloading, improper location of loading points, use of grids to raise production elements, or insufficient engineering for the weather.  Note that most of the pics involve "stick-built" roof systems, but the big trailer-based stages are not immune (ask Cheap Trick).

These failures all have the same primary cause:  humans not following the engineering instructions or making up their own rules as they go along.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 11:00:34 AM »

The only thing I don't like is the lack of who, what, when, where and WHY of the photos.
Sorta like when people post electrical snafus... there's always a lot of detail involved in any of these investigations (reference Tim's post yesterday about the Indiana State Fair collapse--- the website he linked to had many hundreds of megabytes of files representing the technical findings from the investigation) -- not only do we not have the time and resources here to rehash those investigative findings, it would actually be nearly impossible to go into sufficient detail to ensure that the data presented doesn't give someone else the wrong idea and think that they can do rigging/structures without the proper training.

NDAs aren't out of line here, and we should certainly respect those. But, Tim nailed it on the head regarding the primary cause.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Al Rettich

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »

One of the biggest problems is that we don't speak up. I had a PM Kit Blanchard, who use to tell the local crew if you see something that looks unsafe, and you don't speak up, your just as guilty.. I agreed with that.. If I see something that looks "not right", hell yeah I'm going to say something..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.