ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop-Up Audio  (Read 3869 times)

Brent Venter

Pop-Up Audio
« on: February 26, 2014, 06:44:06 AM »

Hi Guys

I have a problem with a cable docking station in a boardroom where the audio has inherent buzz when the VGA and audio flylead is connected to the laptop. Most times it is the laptop power supply when plugged in that creates this issue, however this time it is not the case. We have tried different notebooks and flyleads etc.

Would a small isolation transformer near the docking station be a solution to "cure" this issue and if so how do I implement it?

Thanks for the help!
Shake & Bake

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Pop-Up Audio
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »

I have a problem with a cable docking station in a boardroom where the audio has inherent buzz when the VGA and audio flylead is connected to the laptop. Most times it is the laptop power supply when plugged in that creates this issue, however this time it is not the case. We have tried different notebooks and flyleads etc.
So are you saying that the buzz occurs even if the laptop is run off its battery?  If so then that seems to eliminate it being a ground loop related to the AC power.

Do you get the buzz if you connect just the audio and not the VGA video?

Brent Venter

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:11:13 PM »

So are you saying that the buzz occurs even if the laptop is run off its battery?  If so then that seems to eliminate it being a ground loop related to the AC power.

Do you get the buzz if you connect just the audio and not the VGA video?

Hi Brad, yes when the VGA is connected it just exacerbates the problem when just the audio is connected. Maybe an issue where grounds are connected to the pop-up chassis?
Shake & Bake

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »

Hi Guys

Would a small isolation transformer near the docking station be a solution to "cure" this issue and if so how do I implement it?

Thanks for the help!

What audio connection out of the laptop?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brent Venter

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »

What audio connection out of the laptop?

Unbalanced stereo on 1/8" TRS jack
Shake & Bake

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »

Unbalanced stereo on 1/8" TRS jack

http://www.fullcompass.com/search.php?parent=471&search_simple=true&txtAll=Peavey+USB-p

This has solved all such problems for me.  Does not require any driver to be installed.  Windows XP has recognized it every time and I assum 7 and 8 will also.  On Mac you go to preferences and tick the box next to it to select it for your audio output.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »

Still a ground loop and the laptop is the connection between the two.  Amp is grounded and projector is grounded.   They are seeing a difference.   Using isolation transformers on the two audio L/R should correct the problem.  When adding the laptop power you may still see ground loop as horizontal bars moving in the video.  Laptop power is in wall into one breaker and the power to the projector is on another breaker.  The cables have different lengths / corrosion / joints.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.