ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDCP Issues & Help  (Read 3775 times)

Jordan Wolf

HDCP Issues & Help
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:26:42 AM »

Hey All,

I'm having issues with a setup that normally works very reliably.  I'm using a set of Monoprice HDMI extenders to run signal from laptops equipped with the connection.  We're using 200ft. of solid CAT6 STP cable with one coupler inline.  The extenders are HDCP-compliant, and we don't normally have issues with black screens/hash, but some of the newer ultrabooks have been giving us problems.  We are running directly into the HDMI input of the projector (wish it was DVI, but...I ain't looking a gift horse in the mouth).

Would an EDID emulator/spoofer be something that could help ease our issues?  It would need to be HDCP-compliant.  If there are different types of spoofers out there, it would be cool to know how they differ in functionality.

I'm still testing the signal chain; it COULD be our projectors...but I haven't confirmed that yet.

Thanks!
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
Re: HDCP Issues &amp; Help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:37:11 AM »

Does the HDMI input also take DVI with the adapter cable?

- Tony Williams

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »

Does the HDMI input also take DVI with the adapter cable?

- Tony Williams
If memory serves me right, yes.  We have used it that way in the past with no issues.

I'm going to troubleshoot this week to see which combos of devices and cabling are effective and which ones cause issues.  I'll have some time with setup tomorrow to experiment and eliminate variables.

I'm hoping it's not the projector(s).  They are NEC PA550Ws, and they normally work fine.  In fact, I've got a Macbook Pro connected to each one right now - straight to the HDMI input of the projector via the extenders with about 200ft. of cable.  I am using a Mini-Displayport adapter, and the Mac model is a few years old, but there were no issues connecting or with staying that way.  I'll have to get my hands on one of the new models with the native HDMI port to see if there are issues.

Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: HDCP Issues & Help
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »

Hey All,

I'm having issues with a setup that normally works very reliably.  I'm using a set of Monoprice HDMI extenders to run signal from laptops equipped with the connection.  We're using 200ft. of solid CAT6 STP cable with one coupler inline.  The extenders are HDCP-compliant, and we don't normally have issues with black screens/hash, but some of the newer ultrabooks have been giving us problems.
So is the problem limited to newer Ultrabooks while it works fine with other devices?

I don't know if it is relevant but many Ultrabooks are native 1366x768 resolution and a note in the PA550W manual notes that 1366x768 resolution sources to the HDMI input may not display properly if the "ASPECT RATIO" selection is set to the factory default "AUTO" setting and that it may need to instead be set to "16:9" for those signals to display properly.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:12:12 PM »

I typically keep the output set to Native, or as close to unscaled-by-the-projector as possible.

However, since I'm not using a switcher, I did have the settings tweaked for the particular source.

This situation is less-than-ideal and stems from a very budget-conscious client.  I just wanted some input, but I still need test things.
Jordan Wolf
<><

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »

If the client is very budget conscious, my opinion won't matter. But, I would do a Black Magic DVI extender over SDI.

- Tony Williams

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 26 queries.