ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: eaw fr153e crossovers  (Read 9595 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: eaw fr153e crossovers
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »

Post of a pic of the crossover as well. Are any of the drivers damaged when the caps blow?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »

What value are the caps that are blowing?
[/quote
Last caps I replaced were bought from eaw, so I'm assuming all the values were correct for that crossover. I will check the values as soon as I pull the x-overs out this time. Thanks for your time and input. I normally run all my amps with any onboard limiting disengaged, relying on input level to keep stuff in a safe range. I will check those switches though. You know, because shit happens.

Skip, is there anything different about the shows you do leading up to the caps blowing?

It sounds like the rig is being run near the edge of its capability, and if there is nothing special or different about the gigs where the failure occurs, it's probably a cumulative fail.  Every 5 years doesn't sound too bad, actually, but I know it's embarrassing and repairs are no fun...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 02:19:34 PM »

Why would over-powering lead to the crossover failing rather than the driver itself?
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

skip grumblis

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »

Post of a pic of the crossover as well. Are any of the drivers damaged when the caps blow?
the first time it happened there was no apparent damage to the drivers. i replaced the caps and used the cabinets until this last outage. i threw a wedge on top and got thru the show. only the 7" driver and tweet shut down. the 15" wasn't affected either time. it's been too cold to dig them out of the truck and dig into them. I'll post a picture of the crossover when i get them opened up.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:59:02 PM by skip grumblis »

skip grumblis

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »

Skip, is there anything different about the shows you do leading up to the caps blowing?

It sounds like the rig is being run near the edge of its capability, and if there is nothing special or different about the gigs where the failure occurs, it's probably a cumulative fail.  Every 5 years doesn't sound too bad, actually, but I know it's embarrassing and repairs are no fun...
yea i hate looking bad. this was a rock show, as compared to the country i've been doing lately. but i'm not real loud, believing that a band can sound big and fat without being loud. these cabinets have been modified before i got them and by modified i mean screwed up. tweeter attenuator and fuse no longer wired in. i can't find a schematic to restore the wiring to factory and eaw's a little stingy when it comes to schematics. a link to a schematic would be helpful. i'm not really much of a technician, but a big oozing cap is not hard to diagnose. i'm running these as top boxes over a pair of sb180's on each side so it's not like i'm trying to get these boxes to thump a little. i have two mccauley 622-2 i could use, but kinda like the smaller footprint and ease of handling of the fr153's in smaller rooms
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:32:27 PM by skip grumblis »

skip grumblis

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »

Why would over-powering lead to the crossover failing rather than the driver itself?
just guessing but the crossover is next in line after the amps, before the drivers. weakest link kinda thing.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 05:20:41 PM »

these cabinets have been modified before i got them and by modified i mean screwed up. tweeter attenuator and fuse no longer wired in.

That is telling. I found these things on ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EAW-FR153E-HI-Frequency-Crossover-Network-/271218639817, does that look like what's inside your cabs? To me that looks pretty shade tree for a production cab but who knows.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 05:45:44 PM »

That is telling. I found these things on ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EAW-FR153E-HI-Frequency-Crossover-Network-/271218639817, does that look like what's inside your cabs? To me that looks pretty shade tree for a production cab but who knows.
That looks like an EAW crossover to me-at least the ones I've seen.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

skip grumblis

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »

Bingo. that's it exactly. it's on a 3/4 in piece of plwood. at least it's easy to solder
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:27:32 PM by skip grumblis »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »

Bingo. that's it exactly. it's on a 3/4 in piece of plwood. at least it's easy to solder

OK.. So what caps are blowing and what parts are missing. If your copies are in bad shape then jump on these and snap them up. Oh.. nevermind looks like these are long gone.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:01:27 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.