ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Portable Staging  (Read 7629 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Small Portable Staging
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies all.  No, it's not a glorious market, but for the small stuff I do, having the staging will help get the gig and make the clients happy.  Plus, once I get to the bigger stages, I will just get the fold-out trailer stages for those.  As for anchoring the stage, I do plan on getting anchors to dig into the ground, but 99% of the time the stage won't be up if there is to be high winds, regardless though I will do everything to make sure it is done correctly and as safely as possible.

Then go, right now, and find the Thornton-Tomasetti report.  Then read the Witt Associates report on the command and communications failures that led to nothing beneficial being done prior to the incident.  They saw the train wreck coming and nothing got done because there was no clear command and control structure for *impending* threats, although the Fair had a decent plan for what to do AFTER a disaster.

I bring this up twice because it's vitally important.  People die, get badly injured, and the only folks that come out ahead are the attorneys.  Everyone else looses.

Mike, read that until you can say it in your sleep.  Stages, roofs... any temporary, demountable entertainment structure represents a hazard.  Until you know enough to recognize the potential hazards and have the materials, procedures and personnel to mitigate those hazards, you're just asking for eventual trouble.

edit ps.  http://www.in.gov/sfc/2343.htm
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:09:30 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 02:04:13 PM »

but 99% of the time the stage won't be up if there is to be high winds, regardless though I will do everything to make sure it is done correctly and as safely as possible.

99% of the time, poorly rigged stages make it through the event.  It's that 1% that kills people.

If you're rigging anything overhead, you MUST rig it for consideration of any unexpected events.  Outdoor rigging must take into consideration sudden changes in weather.  It happens when you least expect it.
Brian Jojade

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »

99% of the time, poorly rigged stages make it through the event.  It's that 1% that kills people.

If you're rigging anything overhead, you MUST rig it for consideration of any unexpected events.  Outdoor rigging must take into consideration sudden changes in weather.  It happens when you least expect it.

Ai yi yi, it's like a broken record.  I know this, that's why I said if I do it, I'm going to do it correctly.  Better it be a correctly designed roof structure than one of the junk flimsy tents I see elsewhere..
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.