ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TSA ready SMAART  (Read 7737 times)

Jim McKeveny

TSA ready SMAART
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:22:20 AM »

I do fly away dates. I do not check any bags, just take a rollaboard. Never get separated from your shit.

I do no not want to put a laptop on the belt. (I do not want to put my belt on the belt either. My little old Acer netbook does not need to come out I've been told. Go find the logic).

My question: I can always get a screen and keyboard at my destination. What is the smallest/lightest package of gear I need to take Smaart with me? An SSD brick and what outboard? Could a smartphone act as processor and keyboard?, and how do I get the info onscreen?

Josh Hana

Re: TSA ready SMAART
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:50:28 AM »

A Microsoft Surface Pro or Surface 2 (or any windows tablet running full Windows 8, not "RT") will run Smaart and any other windows application. Most of them have usb and hdmi for use with external keyboard/screen. I'm looking at getting one to run my system controller software.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »

Sounds close. How small could we get the total package - including preamps/mics - if all I wanted want is Transfer Function and Impulse Response?

Does it even need to be Smaart?

Josh Hana

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »

Depending on the types of gigs you're doing, it may be possible to spec out a measurement mic and even a laptop or tablet to meet you at the show. Before I dismantled our "FOH Aux" rack, we had the old Klark RTA unit with a mic going to every show. I've seen a few companies including an RTA mic in their standard packs, so just ask around.

A small 2 ch preamp and a mic or two should take up very little space in a carry-on.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »

Sounds close. How small could we get the total package - including preamps/mics - if all I wanted want is Transfer Function and Impulse Response?

Does it even need to be Smaart?

Why do you need to travel with preamps? Is there no console at the show?

Mac

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 04:12:19 PM »

Mac-

I was thinking USB Pre's for measurement. To further hone this question, I travel with a dozen Senni clip-ons for inner-circle strings in my messenger bag that stuffs under the seat ahead. This is really where I'd like my measurement rig.

On smaller regional flights I have been separated from my rollaboard (no overhead storage in the turboprop or bag somehow doesn't make flight. Grrrrr. With small toiletry kit from messenger bag I can do gig w/o offending anyone..... too badly ). It is these outlier markets that benefit most from a quick measurement heads-up.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:21:33 PM by Jim McKeveny »

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »

Why do you need to travel with preamps? Is there no console at the show?

Mac

X2,

I usually have plenty of room in my backpack for my macbook pro, Motu 4Pre, and a couple measurement mics. They really don't take up that much room.

Not sure what the issue is with sending your laptop through the belt, I travel about 200 day a year with probably 50-60 flights a year and have never had an issue.

On the other side as suggested, if I am out with a bigger act I just request it as part of the FOH drive package.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 04:17:36 PM »

How many mic preamps do you need?

What about something like a Mac Mini and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 04:22:30 PM »

I find my Smaart I/O and a pair of iSEMcon EMX7150 mics to be a very portable Smaart rig.  I take my laptop with me regardless, but don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on a Surface Pro.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 05:37:21 PM »

Mac-

I was thinking USB Pre's for measurement. To further hone this question, I travel with a dozen Senni clip-ons for inner-circle strings in my messenger bag that stuffs under the seat ahead. This is really where I'd like my measurement rig.

My computer has 2 analog inputs, if I don't want to bring my OctaCapture I can use a couple of channels of the console for preamps.

The laptop goes to every gig, and the other stuff is in my checked bag. I also check my Instant Replay.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 05:37:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.