ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on iem's  (Read 27154 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Advice on iem's
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2014, 09:53:43 AM »

I think Mark's question was a little different - for example, with the Presonus I can have an IPad  doing all mixing, but the interface also allows performers hook into the mixer with IPhones )or IPads)  to control their own mix - part of the presonus  package.  The interface has permission controls so as to keep the FOH mix firmly in your hands.  Other folks mix FOH on one ipad, and monitors by another person on a separate IPad.

Mark was asking whether the QU also had that functionality. 

As far as I've read, the QU currently only supports one Ipad period.

Sorry....I responded quickly without even thinking ....... I understand.
Yes, unfortunately the QU16 does NOT support anymore than the one iPad. However, in all fairness, even if it did, I couldn't see the band members springing for iPads (don't believe they already own any) . They are - how should I put this??? -VERY budget conscious.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »

Sorry....I responded quickly without even thinking ....... I understand.
Yes, unfortunately the QU16 does NOT support anymore than the one iPad. However, in all fairness, even if it did, I couldn't see the band members springing for iPads (don't believe they already own any) . They are - how should I put this??? -VERY budget conscious.....
Uhhh... musicians are like artists - starving - generally don't have two nickles to rub together. I'll doubt you'll find one without a smartphone - and if that happens to be Apple, well, they're all set for Presonus world.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »

Uhhh... musicians are like artists - starving - generally don't have two nickles to rub together. I'll doubt you'll find one without a smartphone - and if that happens to be Apple, well, they're all set for Presonus world.

He he - yeah that's true, I am sure they have i somethings. .....well no ipad/iphone solution for me then !......Back to hardware options I suppose.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2014, 01:11:09 PM »

I think Mark's question was a little different - for example, with the Presonus I can have an IPad  doing all mixing, but the interface also allows performers hook into the mixer with IPhones )or IPads)  to control their own mix - part of the presonus  package.  The interface has permission controls so as to keep the FOH mix firmly in your hands.  Other folks mix FOH on one ipad, and monitors by another person on a separate IPad.

Mark was asking whether the QU also had that functionality. 

As far as I've read, the QU currently only supports one Ipad period.

Yep, that's what Mark was alluding to. If the Qu doesn't support multiple iPad/iphone connections to control monitor mixes, they probably will in a future update.  This is a basic 'required feature' of entry level digital consoles in today's market.
Mark McFarlane

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »

Yep, that's what Mark was alluding to. If the Qu doesn't support multiple iPad/iphone connections to control monitor mixes, they probably will in a future update.  This is a basic 'required feature' of entry level digital consoles in today's market.

I wasn't sure if this was capable with a firmware update but it did occur to me that it would be very good news if it was !!!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2014, 01:22:11 AM »

Ok, so I am very late to this party.  Sigh...

Debbie, grats on the iem systems.

From way back in Feb, why can't the guitar player hear himself ? Earplugs? Even with loud wedges?

Where is his amp pointed? Is he a mutant with ears in his calfs?

/rant
I don't understand guitar amps on the floor aimed at the audience turned up so it drowns out everything else.
\end rant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 12:25:29 AM »

Ok, so I am very late to this party.  Sigh...

Debbie, grats on the iem systems.

From way back in Feb, why can't the guitar player hear himself ? Earplugs? Even with loud wedges?

Where is his amp pointed? Is he a mutant with ears in his calfs?

/rant
I don't understand guitar amps on the floor aimed at the audience turned up so it drowns out everything else.
\end rant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No..I agree 100%..The direction of his amp is definitely a BIG part of the problem.
I have absolutely no idea why suddenly he decided to use ear plugs. I have a feeling he took the advice of one of the sound guys who he used on one of the gigs I couldn't do for him. All it did was take a situation where his knees are deafened during his performance and causes him to turn up and make it worse.
I understand to a certain extent why the singer may have thought she needed to use them - she got worried about her hearing and doesn't know much about how to combat a poor sound on stage....although she never complains when I control the monitor sound.
Maybe the other sound guy used cheap nasty monitors and tried to overcome the crappy sound quality with volume and blasted the singers ears. Who knows?

BTW...LOVING the iems.....thanks
Got the transmitters installed in my old 12 u rack with my Furman, 2 stereo compressors (for limiting), patchbays and my new 24 channel snake which goes in the bottom ..
The new snake is only 25ft which is all I need when I can use the iPad to mix. I can leave my 100ft in the van. AND 1 rack replaces 4 wedges.. WIN.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 10:24:29 AM »

Debbie,
Not that I'm trying to spend your money on "your band", but in the interest of sound control, you may think about investing in one or two of these.

http://www.standback.net/

Gotta keep those knees and ankles from going deaf!

You can use them on any of your jobs - folds down to almost nothing.

frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »

Debbie,
Not that I'm trying to spend your money on "your band", but in the interest of sound control, you may think about investing in one or two of these.

http://www.standback.net/

Gotta keep those knees and ankles from going deaf!

You can use them on any of your jobs - folds down to almost nothing.

frank

Very cool idea and so lightweight - love it.

Might be worth the investment.
However, in this case, Mr. guitar player uses a separate amp on a 2x12 cab - not a combo. The amp would be unstable at any angle other than upright.

I have a nice 20x20x20 SKB box on wheels that I use for cables. Last gig I let the bass player use it as a stand for his combo - he has the same problem with volume. Maybe I could let the guitar player use my box and use one of the standback style stands for the bass player .....mmm

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »

Very cool idea and so lightweight - love it.

Might be worth the investment.
However, in this case, Mr. guitar player uses a separate amp on a 2x12 cab - not a combo. The amp would be unstable at any angle other than upright.

I have a nice 20x20x20 SKB box on wheels that I use for cables. Last gig I let the bass player use it as a stand for his combo - he has the same problem with volume. Maybe I could let the guitar player use my box and use one of the standback style stands for the bass player .....mmm
A 2x12 shouldn't be too unstable to tilt back; my band's guitar player has a 2x12 Crate combo amp and we've tilted it back in a myriad of creative ways(folding chairs, guitar stands, direct boxes, etc...). You may have to put the amp head somewhere other than on top of the speaker.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 24 queries.