ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Mackie System? And book recommendation  (Read 3477 times)

Doug Wolfe

Powered Mackie System? And book recommendation
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »

Hey all-

I'm looking at a used powered Mackie system and wanted some opinions on it and the price.  It would be for medium sized venues (200-300) and to run the whole band through.

All cabs are manufactured Pre-China
(2) SWA 1801 18" subs
(2) SR 1530 3 ways
(2) SRM 450s
(1) Mackie VLZ Pro 1604

He is asking 3500 for everything.

Also- I'm looking for recommendations on a good beginners book to explain sound, frequencies, waves, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Doug Wolfe

Richard Turner

Re: Powered Mackie System? And book recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »

price might be in the right ballpark, was it just bare speakers or were there cases/covers/cables  in on the deal, is it pristine or rode hard put away wet?

You likely will not get a straight up answer to a simple what is it worth question on here, its up to you to decide on value for yourself. Bookvalue, and blue book have insurance adjusted values and current value on the open market price information available for a fee you can get a login for money or talk friendly to an insurance adjuster you know, pawnshop buy counter worker etc, search ebay closed listings etc

I've used the SA1232/SWA1801z quite a few times and it all works well if you don't ask it to do more than it is able to.

Its got a bit of age so you have to ask is this what your clients will accept, there's plenty out there that would just not book your serviced based on the name badge of those speakers.

Search the forum, there are several threads on beginners reading and how to materials.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »

My OPINION is for $3,500 I am certain I could put together a better sounding, more highly regarded used system with JBL or EAW or other equipment. I think all that stuff is OLD DESIGN equipment and "the wrong gear at the right price is still the wrong gear." I would NEVER make that deal.

Just one guy's opinion.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »

Hey all-

I'm looking at a used powered Mackie system and wanted some opinions on it and the price.  It would be for medium sized venues (200-300) and to run the whole band through.

All cabs are manufactured Pre-China
(2) SWA 1801 18" subs
(2) SR 1530 3 ways
(2) SRM 450s
(1) Mackie VLZ Pro 1604

He is asking 3500 for everything.

Also- I'm looking for recommendations on a good beginners book to explain sound, frequencies, waves, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Doug Wolfe

Their asking price is a bit high.  More like $2500 would probably be acceptable (assuming all gear is in good condition - i.e. everything works as designed and is not cosmetically trashed).

Here's the defacto standard book on sound.  It's a little dated, but does very well explaining physics of sound... I would imagine most people on this forum have this book in their collection:
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinforcement-Handbook-Gary-Davis/dp/0881889008

Othmane Alaoui

• Produkson - Sound & Lights
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »

Their asking price is a bit high.  More like $2500 would probably be acceptable (assuming all gear is in good condition - i.e. everything works as designed and is not cosmetically trashed).

Here's the defacto standard book on sound.  It's a little dated, but does very well explaining physics of sound... I would imagine most people on this forum have this book in their collection:
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinforcement-Handbook-Gary-Davis/dp/0881889008

I agree !
you can find some nice HPR from QSC and a good 01V original for that amount !

Nathan Grater

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 05:38:28 PM »

I would not do it. For 5k I got a used JBL PRX 612m / JBL PRX61XLF system. This included all the cabling (power and 25 xlr), a 16x4 Whirlwind Medusa, Allen Heath Mixwiz 16 version three, Sennheiser/Shure mic kit for drums, guitar, and vocals, a couple of Radial JDI, stands (all K&M), bags for the speakers and rolling road cases for the speakers an stands. You can do much better than 3500 for that older equipment. Shop around a bit and don't be afraid to haggle. Systems like this are hard to sell and you can easily work the price down a bit. I talked the guy down 2k.
Nathan Grater

Thomas Le

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »

Better see it in person and see if they can let you test the equipment yourself. Without knowing the condition of said equipment, the asking price is too high.

As others have suggested, the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Book & DVD are a staple for knowing live sound, albeit dated (book was written in the 80's, DVD early 2000's).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.