ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Apples to apples?  (Read 7097 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Apples to apples?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 10:26:01 AM »

Just curious-looking at your basic powered mixers for roughly the same money you can get a Peavey, Yamaha,or Behringer-but the Peavey and Yamaha's show roughly half the output power as the Behringers.  What gives?  Seems like the Behringers are overpowered for where his mixers are typically used anyway?

Back when I was engineering manager or product manager over powered mixers I could give you an answer from personal inspection. These days I do not have first hand experience with these models, nor do I really care.

I hope that the new Behringer is not inflating their wattage if they want to be taken seriously, and I do not expect that they are.

The obvious thing is to check the spec sheet and look for any fine print. Power amp companies have not been free to make up their own power metrics for years***. UL and agency testers will test the products based on their reported power output. Since the safety agencies do not read magazine ads, it is often important to look at power numbers and speaker load minimums, screened on to the back of the unit. These will be  real numbers.

Perhaps the Behringer does have twice the power of the Peavey and Yamaha. They are a low cost manufacturer, and there is a new trend in the industry for low cost power amps that should evolve down into powered heads.  I don't expect Behringer to be half the manufacturing cost of Yamaha or Peavey, but power amplifier cost is not linear, i.e. bigger amps are cheaper per watt than small amps.

When trying to compete against well established players you need to come up with a merchantable difference to win that contest. You can offer the same for significantly less cost, or more for the same cost. If the amp power is the most important feature to you, the Behringer sounds like your mixer. Good luck.

JR

*** there is an unwritten specification covering amplifier duty cycle, or how long it can play how loud without shutting down. Again I do not know if all three have similar long term duty cycle. Some of the new amp technologies are more efficient so should do better at this metric. While old school amp technology is time proven reliable by many users over several decades.

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »

For the record, when you view an item description, then B box lists as 900 watts, the Peavey as 400.  Specs actually list as: B box 2 X 160 watts into 8 ohms, Peavey 2 X 120 into 8 ohms.  A little closer-probably not really a meaningful difference.

I know these are cheap units-but no need to use a Sherman tank to kill a fly!  For what this is for it is the right tool, IMO.
Steve Swaffer

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »

How about that. The Peavey is rated 1/2 the output of the "B" box. Those little Peavey heads are built like a brick shithouse, will last forever, and the specs are honest. Buy the Peavey.

Purchase the Peavey! Agree with Bob totally.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 11:29:10 AM »

For the record, when you view an item description, then B box lists as 900 watts, the Peavey as 400.  Specs actually list as: B box 2 X 160 watts into 8 ohms, Peavey 2 X 120 into 8 ohms.  A little closer-probably not really a meaningful difference.

I know these are cheap units-but no need to use a Sherman tank to kill a fly!  For what this is for it is the right tool, IMO.

Based in those numbers that is 1.25 dB more power...  Other factors will likely be more significant than that...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 12:04:28 PM »

My band uses a Mackie 808S box mixer/amp mostly just for it's power amps though on simple gigs we'll use it as a mixer too. We normally run it in stereo with the L/R from our Mackie Onyx feeding L & R power amps. Here are some excepts from the spec sheet...

So essentially we get about 300 watts per speaker(600 Total) with our setup of one 8Ω cabinet per channel.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 05:55:20 PM »

Just curious-looking at your basic powered mixers for roughly the same money you can get a Peavey, Yamaha,or Behringer-but the Peavey and Yamaha's show roughly half the output power as the Behringers.  What gives?  Seems like the Behringers are overpowered for where his mixers are typically used anyway?

I'm not sure how other posters have figured out which models you are referring to since you did not state, but I would not buy anything until you've taken a look at Carvin powered mixers. After owning numerous small Yamaha and Peavey powered mixers that I really enjoyed, I still like the Carvin I have the best.  But you can't go wrong with a Yamaha or a Peavey for a basic mixer. The Yammies sound great and the Peaveys are built to last.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mark Mattocks

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 06:59:35 PM »

Here us the specs page for a "3000 Watt" amplifier.  How can anyone really figure out what they need to know when the specs are so exaggerated. 
http://geminisound.com/product/xga-3000

The most accurate part of this spec is listing the THD as 'Greater Than' .1% instead of <. 

Very nice.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 06:59:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.