ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone use this type of liftgate?  (Read 12926 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Anyone use this type of liftgate?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »

where in this area are you looking rob?? My reference would be more towards a single axle 5x8 which I've seen a number of times for just around 2K.

The rig I haul weighs 4000-5000 lbs. Not gonna happen with a single axel :-)

One thing I see often is that guys don't know what their gear weighs so they end up with overloaded trailers and often without trailer brakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 10:33:24 PM »

FWIW. I would rather use a ramp than a lift gate. For me, lift gates are too slow and have too many moving parts that can break. Not to mention the battery thing.

Yup.  Ramp.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »

where in this area are you looking rob?? My reference would be more towards a single axle 5x8 which I've seen a number of times for just around 2K.

A single axle may work however, the trailer would probably need to be longer than 8' long.  I "sampled" a 5 x 8 last year; it did well, but I felt it was at its limits on weight and cargo volume.  The width was good (at 5'), but 8' may not be along enough.  A full sound/lighting show weighs close to 4000 lbs (90% of this is sound related).  Although, I could still carry some of this weight in my cargo van (to spread the load).

David Parker

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 11:52:15 AM »

A single axle may work however, the trailer would probably need to be longer than 8' long.  I "sampled" a 5 x 8 last year; it did well, but I felt it was at its limits on weight and cargo volume.  The width was good (at 5'), but 8' may not be along enough.  A full sound/lighting show weighs close to 4000 lbs (90% of this is sound related).  Although, I could still carry some of this weight in my cargo van (to spread the load).
I built all of my trailers. I'm on my third and last. The first one was 4x8. I built it that size because I built the box out of wood, and wanted the top to be one piece of plywood. My biggest surprise when it went into service was how heavy the load was.I had used springs that I had that were rated for more than I thought I would need, but when I got the trailer loaded down, it wasn't overkill at all. I see 6x12 single axle trailers around, and I know they wouldn't handle a full load of sound equipment. They'd handle a smallish rig with some lightweight lighting equipment, but not a full load of speakers and amp racks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 11:52:15 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.