ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound System Design Help  (Read 18261 times)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Sound System Design Help
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »

With a central cluster behind the performers, the precedence (Haas) effect will still make the individual locations of sound (each live acoustic performer) easily located, while the usual setup in front of the performers smears location detection ability, ruining the natural sound stage.
That's one reason why I find some of the setups discussed interesting, they seem more intended to allow creating an artificial 'soundstage' for the reinforced sound than they are trying to support the natural acoustic soundstage.

We wouldn't necessarily need 4 mains, it's just a setup that I've seen that seems to work well. I'm not sure what the ensemble's thinking behind it is. I was just going with the school of though, the more mains the higher the overall SPL. I'm probably way off with that idea and as you stated it'd probably be best achieved by going with fewer, higher quality, greater sensitivity mains.
Using two speakers to reproduce the same content at the same level and to the same listeners will result in a net 3dB increase in output compared to one speaker, which represents a just readily noticeable difference in perceived volume.  However, depending on the two speakers' locations relative to each listener that 3dB net increase may not apply equally to all frequencies and at any location in the listener area the two signals arriving at different times due to the relative distances from the speakers may result in some frequencies being boosted by up to 6dB while other frequencies may be completely cancelled.  That's one reason why getting more level by increasing the output from a single source is generally preferred to using multiple sources.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2014, 03:57:07 AM »

Jason, I believe I comprehend the goals of you project. I am thinking of it as performance art.

My suggestion is powered QSC speakers.  4 KW181  and 4 KW153. 

This will give you a high quality high reliability , efficient system, capable of rock levels at indoor venues.

Of course if you push it too hard it will blow the single 20A breaker.... but the same will be pretty much true for whatever you get provided it can produce enough sound to keep up with the drummers.

The key here is  the 4 subs will provide a stable bass for the tops.  The 4 tops are arrayable (75 degrees each).

Current prices are about $1400 per speaker.

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »

Strongly consider horn loaded designs that use the physical horn as an amplifier thus requiring far less electrical power to achieve the same spl. High sensitivity drivers in a horn enclosure gives you even more advantage.

I disagree with using powered speakers based on your setup flow and time constraints.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2014, 10:26:02 PM »

I disagree with using powered speakers based on your setup flow and time constraints.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2

I agree why make one connection when 2 will do.  If you have a rolling rack with mixer and amps and have a sub and top on a Cart (x2). You run two nl4, one to each cart. Build your carts so a cable bin is included, you just grab an end and run to your amp/mixer rack.  Keep your power cable in bottom of amp rack. 

As for the best system design... I'm staying out of that one..  Many good points above, and some that might be thinking about it too hard.

Regardless power will be the limiting factor.  I do think one sub location will provide more predictable bass with less of a risk of the judges being in a null - so perhaps 3 carts? L/r/sub?

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »

I've  watched a lot of drum line and marching band competitions, I have also ran sound for a performing drum line.  From my perspective the goal of the competitors is to win.  The best sound systems that I have seen/heard were based on a single ground base line array.  On a single pull cart was sub with the line array mounted on top which projects upward.  This configuration is easy to pull into position, plug in, and has the needed projection to the judging seating area.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.