ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley TH 115 settings??  (Read 9824 times)

Gene Flynn

Danley TH 115 settings??
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:31:51 PM »

I currently have 4 TH 115s set at 30 and 105.  Just curious what others have set theirs at??  And why??  I may try and go 30 and 60-70?  Im looking for that hard punch!!!
Thanks

John Chiara

Re: Danley TH 115 settings??
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 11:19:28 PM »

I currently have 4 TH 115s set at 30 and 105.  Just curious what others have set theirs at??  And why??  I may try and go 30 and 60-70?  Im looking for that hard punch!!!
Thanks

I used to run mine 30-70. What do you mean by 'hard punch?'
On what instrument? I get scared when someone describes what they want in a way that makes me think I  might want to stay at the show for about 10 minutes until the pummeling drives me away! When I listen in the studio some local recordings punch hard but are not HIFI sounding.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 07:34:57 AM »

Thanks
It really depends on the rest of your system-how you run it setup wise and so forth.

What are your main?  How low do they REALLY go?

Are you running the subs on an aux or just crossed over into the mains with the same signal.

How well aligned are the Th115s to the mains?  That can make a HUGE difference in the punch/slam/impact of the system. 

The "punch" is in the upper range of the bass area-give or take 80-120Hz.

I have crossed over out of the TH115s (lowpass) anywhere from 60 to 120Hz.  It just depends on the particular situation-what the other cabinets are and so forth.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Gene Flynn

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »

This is strictly play back no instruments.  The mains are 2 pair Klipsch laScala's and soon to be a pair of SH 110Bs.  The subs are run from 2 Crown XTI 6002- both pairs.  LS have there own amps.. run in stereo.  not sure what you mean by aligned? (im still pretty new to this so excuse my arrogance). 
I have the 4 Danleys together in the middle, i 21 active CV sub on both sides and the LS (stacked) next to that.  The wall is 18' and it takes it all up.  Not sure where im going to put the 100Bs??
Thanks
It really depends on the rest of your system-how you run it setup wise and so forth.

What are your main?  How low do they REALLY go?

Are you running the subs on an aux or just crossed over into the mains with the same signal.

How well aligned are the Th115s to the mains?  That can make a HUGE difference in the punch/slam/impact of the system. 

The "punch" is in the upper range of the bass area-give or take 80-120Hz.

I have crossed over out of the TH115s (lowpass) anywhere from 60 to 120Hz.  It just depends on the particular situation-what the other cabinets are and so forth.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »

This is strictly play back no instruments.  The mains are 2 pair Klipsch laScala's and soon to be a pair of SH 110Bs.  The subs are run from 2 Crown XTI 6002- both pairs.  LS have there own amps.. run in stereo.  not sure what you mean by aligned? (im still pretty new to this so excuse my arrogance). 
I have the 4 Danleys together in the middle, i 21 active CV sub on both sides and the LS (stacked) next to that.  The wall is 18' and it takes it all up.  Not sure where im going to put the 100Bs??
Thanks
It is NOT a good idea to simply pile speakers up-especially different model numbers.

Yes it will get louder-but you will also make it sound worse since the different speakers will be working against each other at certain freq.

Since you already have subs-I would suggest the SM100F instead of the SM100B.

It is less expensive-does not go as low (you need the low freq) but is louder and the same physical size

By aligning-I mean the delay-crossover-eq applied to the various cabinets so that the amplitude and most importantly the phase response is well behaved.

With a "mis match" of cabinets" the actual response could be all over the place and there is no way anybody can suggest something (without measuring) that would likely be of much help.

What I would do is to simply "play" with the crossover settings until you get something you are happy with.

Also remember to use different styles/artists etc when listening.  You may find a setting that works for one song-but is worse for another.  This is a good indicator that something is not properly lined up.

Using different model subs is almost never a good idea-because of the different phase and amplitude response.  But sometimes people get "lucky"
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Gene Flynn

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:46:57 PM »

I understand Ivan..  This is quite a learning phase!!  It makes sense..  I wish I could have somebody like you come out and tell me exactly what i need.  This trial and error is more costly then just having you guys come out..  But, it is also fun and im learning..  Thank you for your time!!
It is NOT a good idea to simply pile speakers up-especially different model numbers.

Yes it will get louder-but you will also make it sound worse since the different speakers will be working against each other at certain freq.

It is less expensive-does not go as low (you need the low freq) but is louder and the same physical size

By aligning-I mean the delay-crossover-eq applied to the various cabinets so that the amplitude and most importantly the phase response is well behaved.

With a "mis match" of cabinets" the actual response could be all over the place and there is no way anybody can suggest something (without measuring) that would likely be of much help.

What I would do is to simply "play" with the crossover settings until you get something you are happy with.

Also remember to use different styles/artists etc when listening.  You may find a setting that works for one song-but is worse for another.  This is a good indicator that something is not properly lined up.

Using different model subs is almost never a good idea-because of the different phase and amplitude response.  But sometimes people get "lucky"

Gene Flynn

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »

Ivan, can you explain more why the 100F would be preferable over the 100B??
 author=Ivan Beaver link=topic=148414.msg1363336#msg1363336 date=1392833527]

[/quote]

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:28:14 PM »

Ivan, can you explain more why the 100F would be preferable over the 100B??
 author=Ivan Beaver link=topic=148414.msg1363336#msg1363336 date=1392833527]

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Gene Flynn

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 02:37:31 PM »

I know, I just thought I had enough low freq. with the subs??  Thats

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 02:59:03 PM »

I know, I just thought I had enough low freq. with the subs??  Thats

I think Ivan left something out...  with subs, you have enough LF.  The 100F was designed to do what is suggested.  The 100B goes lower, as it was intended to be used as a full range (ish) speaker.  You don't need some of what it does...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 02:59:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.