ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley TH 115 settings??  (Read 9903 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Danley TH 115 settings??
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »

I know, I just thought I had enough low freq. with the subs??  Thats
Which is why you don't need another set of low frequency devices contained in the SM100 B (for bass) mucking up the already murky stew.

Considering the variety of phase response in your pile of bass stuff, you may be much better off spreading them around the room to even out modal response.

Gene Flynn

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »

Yes sir, now that makes sense...  Thank you..
I think Ivan left something out...  with subs, you have enough LF.  The 100F was designed to do what is suggested.  The 100B goes lower, as it was intended to be used as a full range (ish) speaker.  You don't need some of what it does...

Gene Flynn

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »

Yes Art, was thinking of moving some things around and see what happens!!  Now the 115s are 4 in a row in the center.  i think i will put 2 on each side and have a listen..  Thanks
Which is why you don't need another set of low frequency devices contained in the SM100 B (for bass) mucking up the already murky stew.

Considering the variety of phase response in your pile of bass stuff, you may be much better off spreading them around the room to even out modal response.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »

I currently have 4 TH 115s set at 30 and 105.  Just curious what others have set theirs at??  And why??  I may try and go 30 and 60-70?  Im looking for that hard punch!!!
Thanks

What kind of venue is this?

Mac

Gene Flynn

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »

Mac this is my private gym..  800 sq. ft. just music playback..  I am trying to create that live raw sound!!  Like in a live venue..  I know over kill but thats me.. :o
What kind of venue is this?

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 06:19:52 PM »

I know, I just thought I had enough low freq. with the subs??  Thats
Maybe to put it another way.  The SM100B offers a nice deep bass response in a full range cabinet.

The SM100F uses the same horn-but a stronger coax driver and a single 15" woofer instead of the 4x8" of the SM100B.

The sensitivity of the SM100F is higher-but the response does not go as low.  You already have subs to cover the low freq-so going any lower has no advantage-but the greater output can come in handy.

If you were asking for home stereo mains-then the Sm100B would be a better choice.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Gene Flynn

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »

I have decided to go with the SM 100F's....  I will give a report when i get them..  So Ivan how would you then set the xover??  Say subs from 30 to 60 and the F's from 60 up??
Thanks
Maybe to put it another way.  The SM100B offers a nice deep bass response in a full range cabinet.

The SM100F uses the same horn-but a stronger coax driver and a single 15" woofer instead of the 4x8" of the SM100B.

The sensitivity of the SM100F is higher-but the response does not go as low.  You already have subs to cover the low freq-so going any lower has no advantage-but the greater output can come in handy.

If you were asking for home stereo mains-then the Sm100B would be a better choice.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 07:13:42 PM »

I have decided to go with the SM 100F's....  I will give a report when i get them..  So Ivan how would you then set the xover??  Say subs from 30 to 60 and the F's from 60 up??
Thanks
It depends on whether you are talking electrical (which most people do) or acoustical crossover-(the IMPORTANT one).

Since the subs are often run much hotter than the mains (typically 15dB to as much as 25dB) the acoustical crossover is higher than the electrical settings.

It is for this reason that the sub low pass and main highpass are not the same freq.

Often there is a "apparent gap" in the freq response-but in reality there is not-due to the subs being run hotter.

For a TH115/Sm100F combo-I would run the subs up to around 70-80Hz (electrically) and high pass the Sm100F around 100hz.  Those are just quick "off the cuff" suggestions.

Of course it also depends on what type of crossover you have and what it is capable of.

We do not have "official" settings for that combo yet.

It also depends on the power available for each of the freq bands.  If one band is "running out" then it can be narrowed to remove some of the "strain" since there is a good bit of overlap between the boxes.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Gene Flynn

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »

Yes Sir, following so far..  I am using the 2- Crown XTI 6002 (stereo) for the subs and I just got another for the 100F also run full.  The xovers are built in and set via computer to amp with the Harman HiQnet Band Manager and System Architect software..  I use the 24db butterworth for the subs.. im sure the same would go for the 100F?
Thanks
It depends on whether you are talking electrical (which most people do) or acoustical crossover-(the IMPORTANT one).

Since the subs are often run much hotter than the mains (typically 15dB to as much as 25dB) the acoustical crossover is higher than the electrical settings.

It is for this reason that the sub low pass and main highpass are not the same freq.

Often there is a "apparent gap" in the freq response-but in reality there is not-due to the subs being run hotter.

For a TH115/Sm100F combo-I would run the subs up to around 70-80Hz (electrically) and high pass the Sm100F around 100hz.  Those are just quick "off the cuff" suggestions.

Of course it also depends on what type of crossover you have and what it is capable of.

We do not have "official" settings for that combo yet.

It also depends on the power available for each of the freq bands.  If one band is "running out" then it can be narrowed to remove some of the "strain" since there is a good bit of overlap between the boxes.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.