ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tannoy VQ series compression driver  (Read 16397 times)

Kevin McDonough

Re: Tannoy VQ series compression driver
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »

+1.

Hey

Yeah as far as I'm aware also, the Tannoy VQ cabinets use the BMS coax drivers.  I have heard them set up to sound stunning, and also use a pair of the same coax drivers in a set of my own DIY cabs and there is definetly no lack of HF.

So assuming as Gordon McGreggor says the cabs you are discussing are effectively the same components then it's almost certainly a blown driver or set up problem.

k

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »

According to the product manual, among the the recommend processing for the VQ series speakers is a 24dB/octave, Linkwitz-Riley high pass filter at 400Hz or greater for the VQ DF boxes and a 48dB/octave, Linkwitz-Riley low pass filter at 500 Hz for the VQ MB.  So there should definitely be a crossover around 500Hz between the two boxes.

The VQ 85DF in passive mode is rated at 8 Ohms and 200W Continuous/400W Program with a 110dB at 1W/1m sensitivity.  The VQ MD is rated at 4 Ohms and 1,000W Continuous/2,000W Program with a 105dB at 1W/1m sensitivity.  The C 28:4 is rated at 700W into 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms.  I guess you could use the selectable Voltage Peak Limiter to limit the outputs for the DF channels but unless they don't need the full output of the VQ MB that seems to be a somewhat unusual amp choice for either box.

Is there any system drawings or documentation?  If not then it sounds like it might be a good time to create some.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 01:09:37 PM »

According to the product manual, among the the recommend processing for the VQ series speakers is a 24dB/octave, Linkwitz-Riley high pass filter at 400Hz or greater for the VQ DF boxes and a 48dB/octave, Linkwitz-Riley low pass filter at 500 Hz for the VQ MB.  So there should definitely be a crossover around 500Hz between the two boxes.

The VQ 85DF in passive mode is rated at 8 Ohms and 200W Continuous/400W Program with a 110dB at 1W/1m sensitivity.  The VQ MD is rated at 4 Ohms and 1,000W Continuous/2,000W Program with a 105dB at 1W/1m sensitivity.  The C 28:4 is rated at 700W into 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms.  I guess you could use the selectable Voltage Peak Limiter to limit the outputs for the DF channels but unless they don't need the full output of the VQ MB that seems to be a somewhat unusual amp choice for either box.

Is there any system drawings or documentation?  If not then it sounds like it might be a good time to create some.
Brad unless the place is massive I doubt they'll need the full power of the system so yes the amp is a bit low  and they now probably don't have enough amp channels to bi-amp the system correctly, so I suspect some more amps and a crossover are going to be appearing soon or else the rig'll sit there and do nothing which would be a shame

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »

Brad unless the place is massive I doubt they'll need the full power of the system so yes the amp is a bit low  and they now probably don't have enough amp channels to bi-amp the system correctly, so I suspect some more amps and a crossover are going to be appearing soon or else the rig'll sit there and do nothing which would be a shame
I understand in terms of using a C 28:4 to drive the the VQ MB boxes, but if the VQ 85DF boxes were powered by channels of a C 28:4 then I'd be concerned that the associated VPL DIP switches on the amplifier should be set to properly limit the potential amplifier output for those channels.  If they have to get an an additional amplifier it may make sense to get a C 16:4 for the VQ 85DF boxes.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 07:10:07 PM »

I understand in terms of using a C 28:4 to drive the the VQ MB boxes, but if the VQ 85DF boxes were powered by channels of a C 28:4 then I'd be concerned that the associated VPL DIP switches on the amplifier should be set to properly limit the potential amplifier output for those channels.  If they have to get an an additional amplifier it may make sense to get a C 16:4 for the VQ 85DF boxes.
yes I agree with you completely, Adrian didn't say where this is but I suspect a community theatre which has either run out of money during the fit out, the spec was wrong or the contractor hasn't completed the job for some reason probably money or time related. I wouldn't be suprised if a thorough search of the tech rooms and store rooms won't throw up all the equipment required waiting to be either patched in or actually installed.
 Unfortunately this happens all too often  there's one near me where the amateur companies who raised the money for it can't use it due to the costs and the tech fit out ( which is unfinished as well) is not suitable for volunteer usage so they have to pay for professional techs which bumps the cost up again so only the biggest groups can use it and only just break even if at all. G

paul bell

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 11:40:17 PM »

This is all interesting

I'm working on a job with custom (read: home made) three way boxes with ribbons, 6" mids and 12" lows. ALL drivers of TWO cabinets are connected to a single amp channel running full range.

And NL4 plugs without the the latch shell on them-just twisted into the amps.

Not bad looking boxes tho, I think they'll sound somewhat decent after I make it all proper.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 04:21:54 AM »

This is all interesting

I'm working on a job with custom (read: home made) three way boxes with ribbons, 6" mids and 12" lows. ALL drivers of TWO cabinets are connected to a single amp channel running full range.

And NL4 plugs without the the latch shell on them-just twisted into the amps.

Not bad looking boxes tho, I think they'll sound somewhat decent after I make it all proper.

So should this lot as well, which is the worst part of the whole thing. I've used some of the VQs and for theatre or church use they are very good, easy to hang and in my experience do what the specs say, they may lack a bit in low mid for some people but you can rein in the horn and add a bit of eq and then it's usually fine.

Aaron Smithski

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »

I have only seen the inside of 1 VQ cabinet and the driver was not the BMS4592.

It was a large ceramic coax driver that did not look anything like the BMS.

After reading Ivan's post I had to investigate further and pop out one of the amps from the pair of VQ 60 NET LIVE boxes here and sure enough, it isn't a 4592 (as I thought it was as well). Perhaps Tannoy had a running change or something, but my boxes were assembled in January of 2010 and use the 4590 instead of the 4592. That's kind of a bummer as obviously it would be better to have the neo magnet...although I have other 4590 and 4592 drivers here and can't tell a difference in SQ. It would be nice to have the 15 lbs. shaved off the fat pig cabs though...  :)

Has anybody that has used/installed these actually confirmed if a 4592 was in place?

Also, regarding the amp, I had assumed they would be Lab Gruppen pieces, but in actuality are Xpod dsp all-in-one assemblies from Linea Research.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 05:30:08 PM »

After reading Ivan's post I had to investigate further and pop out one of the amps from the pair of VQ 60 NET LIVE boxes here and sure enough, it isn't a 4592 (as I thought it was as well). Perhaps Tannoy had a running change or something, but my boxes were assembled in January of 2010 and use the 4590 instead of the 4592.
Has anybody that has used/installed these actually confirmed if a 4592 was in place?

Thanks for confirming that.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Aaron Smithski

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 05:48:07 PM »

Thanks for confirming that.

Glad to help out.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 05:48:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 23 queries.