ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Woodstock 69: A Deep Look into the PA and Recording Systems NOW Myths De-Mythed  (Read 3125 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico

"Hanley tri-amped the Altecs with crossovers set at 50Hz and 8kHz..."

50Hz and 8kHz crossovers? Maybe 50Hz high pass, but there was nothing below 50Hz.
On June 22, 2022, Bill was ambiguous about crossover frequencies, so...

Dan,

In the January 1989 issue of Recording Engineer/Producer magazine, Barry McKinnon quoted Bill Hanley:

“In 1965 or 1966, we began bi-amping because we started to use so much power that we blew up the capacitors in the passive networks. They’d begin making some real strange sounds, then – Bang! – nothing….
We had done a lot of tests and had a lot of failures with JBLs on the high frequencies, and they wanted a fortune to re-diaphragm them for us. We got into the 290s because they would stay together longer… I wasn’t into speaker design.”

Active (“bi-amp”) crossovers in those days were were wired with specific filters.

The 3” phenolic diaphragm Altec 290 drivers used for all the high frequency at Woodstock were very robust- rated for 100 watts down to 300 Hz with only a 6dB per octave crossover, but top out at 8kHz.

So highly unlikely the crossover points would have been 50 and 8kHz, sounds like a typographic error.

The lower deck 4x15” JBL D140 (75 watt bass guitar speaker) horn loaded cabinets likely were crossed at 500Hz to the relatively “short throw” 10 cell Altec horns.

The upper deck using 8x15” front loaded (JBL D130 ?) drivers likely were crossed at 800Hz into the “long throw” 2 cell horns.

Is the 6/22/22 Zoom show available to see for those of us who missed it?

Art
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 07:30:17 PM by Art Welter »

Dan Mortensen

Thanks, Art.

I need to edit the video first, and need to have five or so continuous hours to get going on it. I'm hoping that can be soon.

I promise to post ITT when it's online.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.