ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IP Addresses & Routers - Help, I am an Audio Dummy  (Read 31649 times)

Nate Armstrong

Re: IP Addresses & Routers - Help, I am an Audio Dummy
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 09:50:27 AM »

I use the Airport express to setup a wireless network for my lighting rig at every venue I go to.   Download the Airpot Utility and have it on your machines you will be using, its just good to have in case of an emergency.  Log into the router via the utility and setup your router manually.

as others said 192.168.0.1 , 192.168.1.1 and at times 10.0.1.1 are the common router IP ranges.
I suggest this.

Router Settings

For wireless Security set it to WPA-2    (an easy thing to do is to set it as your 10 digit phone number so you can remember it.)

Wireless password: 8005551234

Change your Wireless Channel to #  2   on the 5ghz band

Also change your SSID to something easy for you. I would think about it not being something tempting for audience members to want to try to join.

SSID: nonworking   

Change you Router IP address to

192.168.2.1  as your Router IP
192.168.2.2  as your DHCP server starting address
192.168.2.19 as your DHCP server ending address

On all your mobile devices set the wireless card to "Obtain Automatically "    So your first wireless device will be given the IP 192.168.2.2 , next will be 192.168.2.3  and so on. this will give you up to 17 devices (192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.19 )   

For devices that wont accept DHCP or you need to have the same IP address for it every time ( known as a static ip ) it seems this may be the case for your x32

on the wireless network card  set it to static ip  ( you use the number 192.168.2.20 because it is past the DHCP ip number range)
First device

192.168.2.20    Ip address
255.255.255.0  Subnet mask
192.168.2.1     Default gateway ( router ip )

The next device would be

192.168.2.21    Ip address

With these settings, you should just have to plug in your Airport express and not have to do anything else.

You will not have any Internet access with this setup.

**possible problem**

I have a free app on my phone that scans all wireless channels both 2.4ghz and 5ghz  it tells you which channels are being used, there signal strength and the SSID name

So with the above setting the main problem that could arise is a venue router is also on the same un common channel of #2  if this is the case , log into the router with the Airport Utility and change wireless channel to a open channel.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 12:59:07 PM »

Generally speaking, letting the Airport auto select its channel is a better choice.  It's going to pick the best one it can find, and that will vary from site to site.  Rarely will this give you an issue.

By manually selecting a channel, if something isn't right in that RF spectrum, you've got to fix it manually.
Brian Jojade

Rufus Crowder

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »

I use the Airport express to setup a wireless network for my lighting rig at every venue I go to.   Download the Airpot Utility and have it on your machines you will be using, its just good to have in case of an emergency.  Log into the router via the utility and setup your router manually.

as others said 192.168.0.1 , 192.168.1.1 and at times 10.0.1.1 are the common router IP ranges.
I suggest this.

Router Settings

For wireless Security set it to WPA-2    (an easy thing to do is to set it as your 10 digit phone number so you can remember it.)

Wireless password: 8005551234

Change your Wireless Channel to #  2   on the 5ghz band

Also change your SSID to something easy for you. I would think about it not being something tempting for audience members to want to try to join.

SSID: nonworking   

Change you Router IP address to

192.168.2.1  as your Router IP
192.168.2.2  as your DHCP server starting address
192.168.2.19 as your DHCP server ending address

On all your mobile devices set the wireless card to "Obtain Automatically "    So your first wireless device will be given the IP 192.168.2.2 , next will be 192.168.2.3  and so on. this will give you up to 17 devices (192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.19 )   

For devices that wont accept DHCP or you need to have the same IP address for it every time ( known as a static ip ) it seems this may be the case for your x32

on the wireless network card  set it to static ip  ( you use the number 192.168.2.20 because it is past the DHCP ip number range)
First device

192.168.2.20    Ip address

The next device would be

192.168.2.21    Ip address

With these settings, you should just have to plug in your Airport express and not have to do anything else.

You will not have any Internet access with this setup.

**possible problem**

I have a free app on my phone that scans all wireless channels both 2.4ghz and 5ghz  it tells you which channels are being used, there signal strength and the SSID name

So with the above setting the main problem that could arise is a venue router is also on the same un common channel of #2  if this is the case , log into the router with the Airport Utility and change wireless channel to a open channel.
Nate,

What is the app that you use to scan all wireless channels?

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 08:49:22 AM »

I have android, Its  " Wifi Channel Analyzer (Free) "  in the app store.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »

On a Mac you are looking for " Wireless Diagnostics" in your user Library in the Core Services folder.  This is one of those things that Apple has chosen to hide as it dumbs down the OSX user experience.  I made an alias on the desktop as I use it constantly.  Fair warning, it will make your hair stand on end when you use it in a heavily congested WiFi environment.   ::)

Nate,

What is the app that you use to scan all wireless channels?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »

On a Mac you are looking for " Wireless Diagnostics" in your user Library in the Core Services folder.  This is one of those things that Apple has chosen to hide as it dumbs down the OSX user experience.  I made an alias on the desktop as I use it constantly.  Fair warning, it will make your hair stand on end when you use it in a heavily congested WiFi environment.   ::)

You can also access the app by holding down the option key and clicking on the wifi icon in the menu bar.  Easier than making an alias.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.