ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: bassist must have energy  (Read 8800 times)

David Parker

bassist must have energy
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:17:02 AM »

Had a gig Saturday, one of my regular bands playing in a Hotel in Galveston, a pre-mardi gras party. Average age at the party was about 50. Small room, maybe 60 in there. Band goes on and the complaints are almost immediate, too loud. I have to address the band, because the majority of the volume is coming off the stage. This band has two members who switch off on bass guitar. I got the one bassist calmed down, nice level, fitting in the mix. then they do the swap, and the other bassist "has to have energy". Hmmm! That energy is just about to get us all kicked out! He was using an 8-10 cab and standing right in front of it. Whew! I wish there was some way to let these type musicians experience what they put me through! And how their failure to listen to me ruins the band's sound.

Mike Maly

Re: bassist must have energy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:52:58 PM »

Good luck buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Maly Sound:
Hear the difference

Sammy Barr

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 03:57:57 PM »

Good luck buddy!

To much rig for the gig.  A 2 x 10 would have been too much. Let them decide if they want to gig or just play loud in their basements. And as stated.  good luck.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 04:47:21 PM »

Good luck buddy!

To much rig for the gig.  A 2 x 10 would have been too much. Let them decide if they want to gig or just play loud in their basements. And as stated.  good luck.

THIS.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Parker

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:10:48 PM »

Good luck buddy!

This band plays all the time and has for several years, but mostly in places where they like it loud. A lot of great places in Houston to play where the volume has to be under control. I've worked in several of them with bands a little more compliant Some folks you just can't convince.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:52:35 PM »

This band plays all the time and has for several years, but mostly in places where they like it loud. A lot of great places in Houston to play where the volume has to be under control. I've worked in several of them with bands a little more compliant Some folks you just can't convince.
I play with a 1X12" 400w bass amp combo (direct feed to PA) with very little stage volume.. !!   Having been on both sides of the stage, I'm probably far more aware of it than most I have played on stage with over the yrs.. not all.. but most.  Cranking it is what the PA is for..  :)

One of the guitar players (the one next to me on stage) has the same problem as ur bass player, and also insists on being cranked in the single wedge in front us both..  How much "ME" does he need???   I NEED to hear the other guitar player plus vocals (I do backing in this band), and I can hear him plenty on stage..  He gets pretty loud.. to the point of having put an amp shield up in front of his Doc Z. It's not too bad in the larger venues we play, but in club/bars we play it's very annoying. Plus, the band mixes from stage (other guitar manages mix) in those venues to reduce overhead!

David.. I feel for ya.. really!

David Parker

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »

I play with a 1X12" 400w bass amp combo (direct feed to PA) with very little stage volume.. !!   Having been on both sides of the stage, I'm probably far more aware of it than most I have played on stage with over the yrs.. not all.. but most.  Cranking it is what the PA is for..  :)

One of the guitar players (the one next to me on stage) has the same problem as ur bass player, and also insists on being cranked in the single wedge in front us both..  How much "ME" does he need???   I NEED to hear the other guitar player plus vocals (I do backing in this band), and I can hear him plenty on stage..  He gets pretty loud.. to the point of having put an amp shield up in front of his Doc Z. It's not too bad in the larger venues we play, but in club/bars we play it's very annoying. Plus, the band mixes from stage (other guitar manages mix) in those venues to reduce overhead!

David.. I feel for ya.. really!

the bad thing is they are a really good band. The bassist in question gets a wedge with his own mix, and in addition, has inears with another mix. Glad he didn't ask for bass in his wedge. He's done that before. Another thing, with the 8-10 cab, he doesn't need it that loud to hear it. It's a solid wall of sound directly behind him.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 08:09:01 PM »

Had a gig Saturday, one of my regular bands playing in a Hotel in Galveston, a pre-mardi gras party. Average age at the party was about 50. Small room, maybe 60 in there. Band goes on and the complaints are almost immediate, too loud. I have to address the band, because the majority of the volume is coming off the stage. This band has two members who switch off on bass guitar. I got the one bassist calmed down, nice level, fitting in the mix. then they do the swap, and the other bassist "has to have energy". Hmmm! That energy is just about to get us all kicked out! He was using an 8-10 cab and standing right in front of it. Whew! I wish there was some way to let these type musicians experience what they put me through! And how their failure to listen to me ruins the band's sound.

I gave up a while back trying to get the band to turn down. They get pissed off at you and cop an attitude......5 minutes later they turn it back up any way.

Nobody wins.

David Parker

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 08:11:16 PM »

I gave up a while back trying to get the band to turn down. They get pissed off at you and cop an attitude......5 minutes later they turn it back up.
that's quite often the case. My last resort is to ask them to turn down, because of what you say. Usually it's right back where it was in no time. I've been with this band about 5 years, and consider them friends. It was a tiny room and they needed to help me out. I had no trouble with the guitar players.

duane massey

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »

Houston and surrounding areas have a lot of talented musicians, but also a lot of truly ignorant musicians as well. I played a gig in Kemah Friday with a band that is pretty much typical for "throwdown" bands. Good drummer, but had a snare that would rip your ears off 50ft away (and he was bragging about it). Guitar player had a Twin Reverb and put the amp as far from himself as possible and cranked it up. Said it was too loud if he set it next to him. They had 2 12" monitors (used to be Yamaha at some point, but the duct tape was all that was holding them together) that did nothing but squeal all night. I carry my own small rig so I didn't have to worry about my keys in their monitors, but I heard very little other than drums and guitar all night. Fortunately the clients were happy (and drunk).
David, there is a bass player here in town that boasts about the fact that he drives sound guys crazy because his rig is so powerful that he drowns out most PA's. Sound familiar?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.