ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: bassist must have energy  (Read 8906 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: bassist must have energy
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 07:07:49 PM »

The last band I was with, the bassist used in ears and stood on a buttkicker plate. Worked great, and he hauled around half the gear that your guy does. Nice bass, preamp, iems, an amp and kicker plate.

He stated it was the best bass sound he has ever had, and he is used to some high-end gear...
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

duane massey

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »

Played for several years with a corporate/wedding band. We used 2 EV 15" 2-ways on sticks, mic'd only vocals and keys. Bass player used a small rig (1 15"), guitar player used a small combo amp, only 2 small monitors, you get the picture. We played in ballrooms, restaurants, private halls, etc, and never had a request to turn down, and ALWAYS had people dancing when it was time to dance. It's not the volume, it's the music and the musicianship.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Rob Gow

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 05:46:17 AM »

I gave up a while back trying to get the band to turn down. They get pissed off at you and cop an attitude......5 minutes later they turn it back up any way.

Nobody wins.

True enough. This weekend the one bass player in the band was soooo loud. I asked him to turn down a couple times and he did, but he was still too loud.

A lot of the venues the bands I get, have vocals only PA's, SOS kinds of setups, so they are used to feeding the crowd their instruments from the stage. The drummers hit way too hard for the room, so I build the mix around the snare, which is often the loudest instrument. Guitars are too loud, they turn down some, and its still quite loud. I just do what I can. I remember one person standing in front of the bass amp said the bass was too loud. I showed him my iPad, and that the bass channel was right off, then I muted it, no change of course, but he realized it was coming from the stage.

http://youtu.be/OQ-o1svRahU

The next band was a bit better. Still pretty loud, ah what can you do. Some bands are easier to work with than others. Great guys, always a lot of fun.  I do my best to keep things under control. I don't want to be the total killjoy, so I let them run a little hotter than I prefer, at least it's a bit quieter than it was when they started. The second band was better,  the drummer doesn't hit as hard, and a good time was had by all. Just another day in the trenches.

;)

http://youtu.be/57Wr0bD3VY4

To my credit, the second band told me it was the best the first band had ever sounded, so that's a good compliment to hear! Like I said, it is what it is, if I can bring them down a bit then it's all good. I get a decent mix with no feedback, that works for me!

This could well be one of those situations where your association with this band is causing your business more harm than good. I have taken the step to "Blackball" bands from my list of clients due to such behavior.

I usually do this when it becomes apparent that a venue/event owner is about to do the same to me because of the band. So often it all gets blamed on the soundman..............not gonna let that happen.

I'm fortunate to basically be the "House Sound" at a few venues. They like what I do, I let them know if they feel its too loud, don't even think twice about asking me to turn it down, it's not a problem at all. They know its live music, and it's going to be loud. If a band is out of control, they are familiar enough with what I do to know its them, and not me.

We get the odd ridiculous act. I try to get them to turn down, and I'm not going to build my mix so that it hurts people in the room. Sometimes my 5000W FOH ends up being little more than vocals and a bit of kick, with the rest being stage bleed. Not ideal but again, it is what it is, and we make it through the night. If at the end of the day we weren't really able to work together well, they are simply not asked back.

It doesn't happen very often, thank goodness.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:04:11 AM by Rob Gow »

David Parker

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 08:02:24 AM »

Played for several years with a corporate/wedding band. We used 2 EV 15" 2-ways on sticks, mic'd only vocals and keys. Bass player used a small rig (1 15"), guitar player used a small combo amp, only 2 small monitors, you get the picture. We played in ballrooms, restaurants, private halls, etc, and never had a request to turn down, and ALWAYS had people dancing when it was time to dance. It's not the volume, it's the music and the musicianship.
Exactly! The two other bands I work for have no problem filling the dance floor with minimal volume. The band I'm having trouble with wants to move on up to better paying gigs like corporate events, but I know they are not going to be able to cut it in that world unless they get a handle on the volume. They used to start all their gigs with "Separate Ways" and the leader had the drummer hammer the toms on that song. I hated it because that was their loudest song, and you never want to start a gig with your loudest song. If there's going to be a complaint about volume, you don't want to start the night that way. I have to turn the tom mikes off when they play that song or it pegs all my meters. Insane.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »

I get bands coming into my little place.  Before they start, I give them the facts of life
- the room is small, hard walls and lots of windows.  The room gets loud fast.
- I let them know that we like to have some conversation at the bar without shouting.  That sets the a tangible level that most can understand.
- I also let them know I'm here for them to sound as good as they can - as I say,  not get in the way of the music, just make it louder.
- I point out that amps placed a certain way creates problems, and these alternatives help.
- I will tell them up front that I will work with them to get them balanced.  My version is to tell them I balance to the softest acoustic instrument on the stage - mostly the drum kit. 
- I tell the drummer that HE is controlling the overall loudness of the band, and reiterate the room is small and hard, and oh by the way, can you use your lighter sticks?  and watch the rim shots? (as we all know, those hard cracks can increase the perceived loudness)

Mostly, the bands respond well to my proactive "I'm here to help you" schpiel...  If no action is needed by me, then between sets, I'll give them my report - and to ask them to watch the volume creep, and start a bit lower on the next set. 

Yeah, I get the deaf musicians with the amps pointed at their ankles.  Folks that won't listen.    If a band insists on not playing as an ensemble, or just blowing the audience out the back door, there's just so much I can do.  Management usually does not invite those folks back.

Bottom line, in my little universe, the pre-show layout of expectations in a non-authoritative manner usually carries the day - and their groupies will tell them they sounded good, and they could actually hear and understand the vocals.  Positive reinforcement.   

Again, small club with folks whose egos may be a bit inflated, but not out of control.  YMMV.

frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.