ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pairing Sub with Mains  (Read 2172 times)

Leo Martin

Pairing Sub with Mains
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »

Hello,
I am looking at getting an EV ELX118P subwoofer to accompany my 2 Alto TS115A top cabs. I have heard better things about the EV vs the TSSUBs, but the EV doesn't have a low-pass filter or L/R channel seperation. I want to separate the lows from mids and highs to allow me to push my top cabs more. My mixer has left and right XLR outputs, and now I am sending both of those to there respective speakers. On the TSSUB it has left and right inputs and outputs to separate the sound that way.

If you know a way to add a filter and/or keep the channels separated, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Leo Martin

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Pairing Sub with Mains
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:33:20 PM »

If you know a way to add a filter and/or keep the channels separated, that would be greatly appreciated!

You need a device known as an electronic crossover, it goes between the mix and speakers. A basic unit like the Rane AC22S or DBX223XL will do the trick and also give you a mono sum output for the sub.

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »

And because you are mixing brands you will want to be certain that the polarities are correct between the two.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Leo Martin

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 09:48:15 PM »

And because you are mixing brands you will want to be certain that the polarities are correct between the two.
Thanks for the responses, I will be picking up a crossover. Also, thanks for the polarity warning.

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:08:43 PM »

Before purchasing the crossover, try this:
Send the left main out to the subs only.
Send the right main out to the tops only.
Now you can dial in how much sub or top each channel gets by using the pan control. Your kick drum and bass will likely be straight up (50/50), whereas your vocals and guitar channels would be panned full right to the tops only.

Of course each speaker will still get a full range signal, but removing the higher frequency instruments from the subs will clean things up.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:08:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.