ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone share wid me how to get tis type of low end?  (Read 10037 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Can someone share wid me how to get tis type of low end?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »

Ok, thanks Ivan & all other that chime in.

Think i am stuck with my stuffs unless they go poof...

Really appreciated.

Dennis....

There are quite a few threads discussing sub-woofers.  Some are about the gear, some are about the application (what gear for what purpose).  If you can take the time to do some Forum searches and read as much as possible of what has been posted on this subject over the past several years, you'll probably get a lot of your questions answered...and probably have a few more!!!

Welcome to the PSW and good luck.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »

Dennis,

i wen to test the single srx 718 but it failed, however the sound appear when srx 728 comes into play..
i also try couple two piece srx 718 together to VS one piece 728 at the at the distrobutor...sounded different.

So, why is the dual 18 cab go lower then using two 18 cab?
coupling is +3db(extra driver) & +3(voltage to them)...assume they are hung in mid-air.
The SRX 718 is tuned higher than the SRX 728, about 40 Hz Fb (box tuning) vs 35 Hz.
The extra box volume of the 728 (more than double the size of two 718) allows a lower Fb with similar output level.

Ported boxes just don't do much below Fb (box tuning) other than flap.
Few PA boxes are tuned much lower than 35 Hz, as the size vs output  ratio goes down steeply.

Room size, shape, and sub position and listening position also can make a huge difference in low bass sound.
My home stereo uses a sealed dual 12", it rolls off at 12 dB per octave below 40 Hz, in room at the listening position is flat to below 20 Hz, but only around 100 dB.

If you really want sub 35 Hz at very loud levels (125 dB or more at a one meter equivalent), you will have to do it yourself, or pay big bucks for the few manufacturers that actually do make things that go that low, DSL being on the short list.

Art

Dennis Goh

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 10:20:07 PM »

Dennis, Where are you located?

I am in Singapore.

Dennis Goh

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 10:51:17 PM »

The SRX 718 is tuned higher than the SRX 728, about 40 Hz Fb (box tuning) vs 35 Hz.
The extra box volume of the 728 (more than double the size of two 718) allows a lower Fb with similar output level.

Ported boxes just don't do much below Fb (box tuning) other than flap.
Few PA boxes are tuned much lower than 35 Hz, as the size vs output  ratio goes down steeply.

Room size, shape, and sub position and listening position also can make a huge difference in low bass sound.
My home stereo uses a sealed dual 12", it rolls off at 12 dB per octave below 40 Hz, in room at the listening position is flat to below 20 Hz, but only around 100 dB.

If you really want sub 35 Hz at very loud levels (125 dB or more at a one meter equivalent), you will have to do it yourself, or pay big bucks for the few manufacturers that actually do make things that go that low, DSL being on the short list.

Art

Ahh  Fb, no wonder .. kind of getting into home theater sub..guess physic is still physics.
Well, there are friends telling me to get multiple sub such as SVS & call it a day.(Place them at my pub & home, then the rest of my stuffs just use for rental)

Dennis....

There are quite a few threads discussing sub-woofers.  Some are about the gear, some are about the application (what gear for what purpose).  If you can take the time to do some Forum searches and read as much as possible of what has been posted on this subject over the past several years, you'll probably get a lot of your questions answered...and probably have a few more!!!

Welcome to the PSW and good luck.
I guess i must have not been searching enough or do not know the exact term to type into search bar.

* As most threads ends with 1) How good is this product. 2) How does it fair. 3) This item vs that item. 4) etc
Which i cannot comprehend over the net as its just base on reading; and diff ppl have diff expectation.

Example: I read 618 xlf is kind of all rounder from various source, seen youtube videos which also seems promising, i ordered 2 piece, then noticed is only overall slightly better which i can make do with other stuffs.
It could be the limitations of some single sound rein enforcement cabs, Qts/Fb/Fs/V those stuffs of sub & some trade-off, maybe i expect too much due to the price i pay as i am a miser.  :-[ Or always trying to achieve something with lower price spent, which i guess in reality, cannot be really done.

Just like when playing cars. ;D

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »

, maybe i expect too much due to the price i pay as i am a miser.  :-[ Or always trying to achieve something with lower price spent, which i guess in reality, cannot be really done.

Just like when playing cars. ;D
You cannot simply compare driver size and "wattage"-even though that is ALL that most people compare :(

For VALUE you have to look at all the issues-freq response-sensitivity-wattage-distortion-physical size-amp requirements and so forth.

When you do that-you will find that the "cheap products" are not so cheap anymore-as compared to real products.

Yes they may be cheaper-but they won't compete-no matter how many you buy.

You may get louder with more cheap gear-but it will never sound as good as the real gear.

So it all depends on what you are really after-sonic quality-loud noise or a cheap price tag.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

chuck clark

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 12:26:42 AM »

Too bad you feel you have to stick w/ single 18 cabs. What Mr Art Welter said about the SRX 718's and 728's is true also for the Wharfedales delta 118b and 218b.  The double 18 box is tuned lower. As the 218b is down only 3 db at 30hz you might have your dealer demo a pair for you and see if it gets you there?  The Fb is one of the least fibbed about specs and it is an 18mm plywood box.  I know from personal use that it is a quite solid design and holds up better than many other "cheap" boxes under high SPL duress. Maybe you'll just have to do like the rest of us and double your subs for this EDM stuff! Lol. I'm STILL making payments, but as a dyed in the wool bass freq. enthusiast I feel your pain. Find a box you really like the sound of and then buy as many as you can afford. That way at least you don't end up with a huge pile of stuff you still dont like. Best of luck to you. (although luck rarely has much to do w/ it)

Dennis Goh

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 03:49:14 PM »

For VALUE you have to look at all the issues-freq response-sensitivity-wattage-distortion-physical size-amp requirements and so forth.
When you do that-you will find that the "cheap products" are not so cheap anymore-as compared to real products.
You may get louder with more cheap gear-but it will never sound as good as the real gear.
Yup, i understand.
my stuffs still DO NOT have the sound quality :( but i am lucky that my customers they are not really into the lows..

Too bad you feel you have to stick w/ single 18 cabs. What Mr Art Welter said about the SRX 718's and 728's is true also for the Wharfedales delta 118b and 218b.  The double 18 box is tuned lower. As the 218b is down only 3 db at 30hz you might have your dealer demo a pair for you and see if it gets you there?
Yup, did ask distro to demo those dual 18 cabs from wharfedale ; such as "sho 2800 & 218b", all those dual 18 cab do produce lower feq better.
It also happens with 728/718 when i was purchasing 618 xlf ; "abuse" two 718 vs single 728 with same setting... ;D

As my country have this COE system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_Entitlement  So transportation will be my problem if i go dual 18 cabs, might have a need to own 2 veh & prices are high.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 03:49:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 26 queries.