ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone share wid me how to get tis type of low end?  (Read 10036 times)

Dennis Goh

Can someone share wid me how to get tis type of low end?
« on: February 15, 2014, 06:43:36 PM »

Hi all,

Once again, "lost" greenhorn need help...Not a troll, just want to find ways to get that sound which i can't get it.

Previously i started a thread >>>http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,141741.msg1312329.html#msg1312329

Regarding finding dual 18 tat go low...below in red

The reason with dual 18" is because i only hear that particular low feq or feeling of music (with main) on dual 18" sub. From sho, jbl, l"accoustic,turbosound.
Seriously, i have never hear that in single 18" cabs.

**Originally, i thought was dual 18" is only the +3db as place together...so i get more single 18" cab place them together.. in fact four of them.. still do not have that sound. I guess is the sub box? driver itself? or i am missing out on decent single 18" cabs.

Edited again: In some disco/clubs during playback of music from tiesto, armin van buuren etc, there will be hard hitting higher feq bass.(This i can get it).THEN, there is also that pants/jeans rumbling effect to the music / sound, like the air around you is shaking, stand in front of the sub, one will hard breathing.

Apologies if i am long winded just to ask some simple qus / might have been touch before or starting again, English is not my first subject.
Just wanted to include more infos if it is needed.

Now, i found a video tat roughly show what i meant in what i want...In the video, they are using l"accoustic, again is dual 18 sub but many of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW2JOVkXulE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW2JOVkXulE

Do listen with sub the above video, i also did record it with my iphone but it do no justice to what i hear LIVE.
The above video has the closest sound to what i heard LIVE ; of which i can find on youtube.
Except during LIVE, the whole surrounding air is just shaking along with the sound the sub is producing.
I just want to make that "sub sound" that appear in the video to appear on my subs. Is it possible?

How the people get that/tuning/settings for sub to produce that type of lows?
I have tried playing with setting for only a few years (during rental/ in pub) but had never been able to get it.

*I understand i am not able to make that SPL in open space as my eqs are unable to support.
I want it for my home; thus not so much SPL is needed i guess, but just want that "sound" to appear.
Reason being, if 2 piece single 18" is almost equal to 1 dual 18" cab in spl (same make & series/model); for my case using at home ,i dun need very high SPL.

Erm.....can some kind person please share or teach me what setting can i use in order to get that sound to appear ? As i strongly believes that you guys roughly knows what setting can produce that sound just by listening to that above video."PM me also can..."

In my noobish point of view, what comes from source, go into sub, is what comes out. Of cos, if the issue is with the items i used then i will have to live with it for the time being; but i think is that i do not know what settings to use in 260, what feq to boost in peq & stuffs for the subs.

Stuffs i use now->
Source: 3.5mm out from computer with sound blaster soundcard or Marantz CD player or iphone.
Plug into : soundcraft efx12 or behringer djm 700 or xenyx 1832FX.
Tuning: driverack 260, ultragraph pro FBQ 1502, composer pro xl-mdx2600.
Amp: nuke 6000dsp (2 pc), hd-5000 (1 pc).
Spk: kempton gt12(4 pc),qsc k12 (2 pc),wharfedale evp x15p(2 pc).
Sub: jbl prx 618 xlf (2 pc), wharfedale delta18b(8 pc).

Thanks In Advance.
Dennis

Edited: Using earphone can hear it clearly..Thx
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:49:29 PM by Dennis Goh »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Can someone share wid me how to get tis type of low end?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »

Hi all,

Once again, "lost" greenhorn need help...Not a troll, just want to find ways to get that sound which i can't get it.

Previously i started a thread >>>http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,141741.msg1312329.html#msg1312329

Apologies if i am long winded just to ask some simple qus / might have been touch before or starting again, English is not my first subject.

Now, i found a video tat roughly show what i meant in what i want...In the video, they are using l"accoustic, again is dual 18 sub but many of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW2JOVkXulE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW2JOVkXulE

Do listen with sub the above video, i also did record it with my iphone but it do no justice to what i hear LIVE.
The above video has the closest sound to what i heard LIVE ; of which i can find on youtube.
Except during LIVE, the whole surrounding air is just shaking along with the sound the sub is producing.
I just want to make that "sub sound" that appear in the video to appear on my subs. Is it possible?

I have tried playing with setting for only a few years (during rental/ in pub) but had never been able to get it.

*I understand i am not able to make that SPL in open space as my eqs are unable to support.
I want it for my home; thus not so much SPL is needed i guess, but just want that "sound" to appear.
Reason being, if 2 piece single 18" is almost equal to 1 dual 18" cab in spl (same make & series/model); for my case using at home ,i dun need very high SPL.

Erm.....can some kind person please share or teach me what setting can i use in order to get that sound to appear ? As i strongly believes that you guys roughly knows what setting can produce that sound just by listening to that above video."PM me also can..."

In my noobish point of view, what comes from source, go into sub, is what comes out. Of cos, if the issue is with the items i used then i will have to live with it for the time being; but i think is that i do not know what settings to use in 260, what feq to boost in peq & stuffs for the subs.

Stuffs i use now->
Source: 3.5mm out from computer with sound blaster soundcard or Marantz CD player or iphone.

Thanks In Advance.
Dennis

You could take the subs you have and add 50 more of them and not come even close to the L'Acoustics subs you mentioned.

Can't be done.  If you want that sound, you'll have to have those L'Acoustics subs.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 07:42:49 PM »

Hi all,

Stuffs i use now->

Thanks In Advance.
Dennis

There is reality...and then there is reality.
Lots of money =  big sound

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »

You need to start with real subs that go low.

Most subs are not tuned that low-they are more for punch than depth.

You should look for subs that go flat down to 30Hz or lower.  NOT just the simple numbers on the spec sheets.

look at the actual measured freq response to be sure.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Kidd

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »

There is reality...and then there is reality.
Lots of money =  big sound

+1

Dennis Goh

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:02:39 AM »

Awww...

So, tis is the sb28..
(-10) @ 25Hz
http://www.l-acoustics.com/products-sb28-subwoofer-44.html
SIze>>51.2 x21.7 x 27.6inch

For my case, i can only go single 18 due to potability (that is if i go get em.)
BUT, the single 18 is (-10) @ 32Hz...
http://www.l-acoustics.com/products-sb18m-subwoofer-118.html
Size> 29.9 x 21.4 x 28.2 inch.

Base on size alone, size of single 18 cab seems bigger then the dual 18 cab..so maybe size is not the factor here?
The single l accoustic sub also cannot produce that sound i want.
It jus appear on dual 18" cabs...

i wen to test the single srx 718 but it failed, however the sound appear when srx 728 comes into play..
i also try couple two piece srx 718 together to VS one piece 728 at the at the distrobutor...sounded different.

Then there were some hype bout the prx xlf, i got 2 piece of them, also dun really have that sound i wanted; and if i were to compare it to the srx 728.

Quote from:  link=topic=141741.msg1312318#msg1312318 date=1358085676
18" subs and small size aren't something that go together. A dual 18 will usually be at least 40" across the front and the cabinet size has to be a size that works with the driver. Many of us use single 18" cabinets. You can size the rig to the gig and they are much easier to handle.

First you need to qualify your needs more.

you said go lower-but what about total loudness (ACTUAL SPL).  How important is that-yeah yeah-everybody says they need to be loud-but HOW LOUD DO YOU need them to go?

Why dual 18" drivers?  Is there something magical about that configuration that you need?

So, why is the dual 18 cab go lower then using two 18 cab?
coupling is +3db(extra driver) & +3(voltage to them)...assume they are hung in mid-air.

** I never heard other good stuffs so i cannot compare them..so my experiance  is very limited.

Thanks.

chuck clark

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 02:05:20 AM »

As usual Mr Ivan Beaver is spot on. 

I was in this same situation back in the 80's when I had 6 Cerwin-Vega L-36's and some Crown Microtech 1200's and my church was doing a play that included a crucifixion scene and yes, they wanted to simulate an earthquake.
Luckily I had a tape with the soundtrack of the movie "earthquake" but in practice I was having the exact same problem you are now having.
Here's what I did:
#1. I set my old 18db per octave Ashley crossover as low as it would go=70hz
#2. Bumped 20 and 30hz +6db
#3. Bumped 40hz +3 db
#4. Left 50 hz alone
#5. Cut 60 hz -3db
#6. Cut 70 hz -6db
#7. Cut 80 hz -9db
#8. dropped 100 & 125 all the way (-12db)
#9. removed grill to watch for destructive excursion on 1 spkr.
#10. Bring up volume slowly until clip light winked on 1 of the amps.
Marked that level with tape across fader so it would go no higher!
Good luck. Hope you don't blow anything up. heh, heh.
Chuck

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 08:40:47 AM »

Awww...

So, tis is the sb28..
(-10) @ 25Hz
http://www.l-acoustics.com/products-sb28-subwoofer-44.html
SIze>>51.2 x21.7 x 27.6inch

For my case, i can only go single 18 due to potability (that is if i go get em.)
BUT, the single 18 is (-10) @ 32Hz...
http://www.l-acoustics.com/products-sb18m-subwoofer-118.html

To make up 10dB (the -10dB point) it takes TEN TIMES as much power-which the speaker cannot handle. 

So in this case 25 or 32Hz would require ten times as much power to be as loud as some other freq that we don't know (because there is no measurement to show it).

Even when comparing to -3dB there is a 7dB difference with is over 4 times as much power.

So if you really want to reproduce those freq at the same level as the higher freq- then you need to run the system WELL below max output and boost those freq.

Of course that means you will need more speakers/amps/power/cable and so forth.

Or use different speakers.

Of course as you go low with any loudspeaker-the sensitivity and max output goes down.  It is a trade off-extension vs output.

As a result all designs are a compromise.  If you don't need to go low-then you can go louder.

Not all systems need to go to 30hz (or lower)  many are happy going down to 50Hz.

There is a HUGE difference between 30 and 50hz.

Think of it like cars-it is pretty easy to go to 80mph.  Getting to 150 is quite another story.  And if you want 200mph-you are in a different class all around.

You are not going to get to 200mph with your Chevy Chevette-no matter how much you want to.

Real speakers-like real cars cost real money.

Don't expect the cheapest thing you can buy to perform like the "big boys" just because it has 4 tires and a steering wheel. 

It is not just the size of the woofers-but how they are used that makes the REAL difference.  There are some cabinets that use small drivers that go well below 20hz.

And cabinets that use 21" woofers that barely get down to 40hz.

Yes driver size is ONE indicator-but only one of MANY.  Size alone does not guarantee performance.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dennis Goh

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 08:52:19 AM »

Ok, thanks Ivan & all other that chime in.

Think i am stuck with my stuffs unless they go poof...

Really appreciated.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 12:34:45 PM »

Dennis, Where are you located?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 12:34:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.