ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Smokin' JBL  (Read 5474 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Smokin' JBL
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »

I didn't go to this show, but a friend snapped some pics of Big Business playing The Mohawk in Austin last night (2/13). His caption: They were jamming so hard a speaker started to smoke!
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Re: Smokin' JBL
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »

zooming out:
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

James A. Griffin

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:45:46 PM »

I didn't go to this show, but a friend snapped some pics of Big Business playing The Mohawk in Austin last night (2/13). His caption: They were jamming so hard a speaker started to smoke!

If they'd point the speaker toward the audience instead of the ceiling, maybe they wouldn't have to run it so "hot".

I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Ted Christensen

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »

Serves them right! Its big business.  I love that band. They need more pa! What was the venue thinking?
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »

If they'd point the speaker toward the audience instead of the ceiling, maybe they wouldn't have to run it so "hot".

Naw.  I suspect it's either the guitar tech or the monitor guy firing up a phatty.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Fruits

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »

If it were a new age band it would probably just be incense. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »

I have smoked many a JBL-and EV-and McCauley-and Fane and and and in my many years.

It is well into the hundreds.  That is exactly what got me into speaker reconing-to same me money on my own repairs--------------

You learn a lot from speaker failures-IF you pay attention.  But it still happens.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »

But it has little to do with what the band was actually doing on stage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »

I have smoked many a JBL-and EV-and McCauley-and Fane and and and in my many years.

It is well into the hundreds.  That is exactly what got me into speaker reconing-to same me money on my own repairs--------------

You learn a lot from speaker failures-IF you pay attention.  But it still happens.

In all my years I've blown maybe 5-6 drivers. I guess you weren't paying too much attention. Shame on you Ivan, my respect-O-meter just dipped 1/2 point.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »

In all my years I've blown maybe 5-6 drivers. I guess you weren't paying too much attention. Shame on you Ivan, my respect-O-meter just dipped 1/2 point.
I "cut my teeth" doing metal and punk back in the 80's.

I was sending out 4 systems a night, with my guys and other guys operating them.

Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between the "music" and distortion of the loudspeakers.

Of course there were some rap shows that also took out drivers.  It was my introduction into what happens when you use big power and sinewaves into drivers :(

Also back then drivers were not as robust as today.

If it makes you feel any better-it has been years since I have roasted a driver.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.