ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie need some advice from any Pro - live sound system  (Read 3516 times)

mat kontol

newbie need some advice from any Pro - live sound system
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:44:14 AM »

Hi there,

I want to buy a set of outdoor sound system (medium size).

I want 1000 watt/channel (left-right) on full range and 2000 watt/channel on subwoofer. Problem is i dont know what power amplifiers and speakers for that set.

If i want power amplifier from QSC and speakers from JBL, what series should i buy???

should i run in 8 ohms? 4 ohms? or 2 ohms? what about continus/peak power for that set?

Can some1 make a configuration for that set??

sorry for poor english, thnks

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: newbie need some advice from any Pro - live sound system
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:50:49 AM »

You won't get any help until you use your full real name as required
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »

Hi there,

I want 1000 watt/channel (left-right) on full range and 2000 watt/channel on subwoofer. Problem is i dont know what power amplifiers and speakers for that set.

If i want power amplifier from QSC and speakers from JBL, what series should i buy???

should i run in 8 ohms? 4 ohms? or 2 ohms? what about continus/peak power for that set?

Can some1 make a configuration for that set??

sorry for poor english, thnks
Mat, there are a LOT of variables to take into consideration here, and as always, the more information you can provide us, the better. For example, you have wattage specifications listed. Notwithstanding the fact that watts has little/nothing to do with volume, we cannot tell you if that is sufficient or not!

Things you should be prepared to share:

- Style of music
- Size of venue
- Number of people you expect at your events
- Whether this is going to be a one off event, or will you be doing this regularly

Basically, your initial post is asking us, "I need to drive from LA to New York. How large of an engine do I need in my car?"

So, let's find out a bit more about your needs... and most importantly:

What is your budget for this purchase??

And we'll see what we can do!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »

Along with the point Ray already made you may want to think about things like size and weight in terms of setup and transport.  If you have to setup the system alone or transport it in smaller vehicles then there may be some limits on the size and/or weight of some items.

You did not mention a system processor but you may want to include one along with a rack(s) for the processor and amplifiers.  Then there's all the little things like the related cables, perhaps some basic power distribution, cases for cables, speaker stands and so on.  All  those ancillary items start to add to the budget.

Just to expand on Ray's comment, the wattage does not define the system output or performance and is a poor way to look at what you need.  If you can better define the application then people may be able to better address what might serve your needs.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »

Mat,

In addition to what Ray and Brad have already pointed out, I would suggest you just look into powered speakers.  No offense intended, but based on the questions you've asked it's apparent that you don't have much experience or knowledge in pro audio gear or setup.  That's ok, we all started somewhere.  Using powered speakers will take a LOT of variables out of the equation (wattage, impedance, EQ, dynamics, crossover points, etc.) and allow you to get great sound out of your system right out of the box.

My two suggestions would be:

A pair of QSC K10's or K12's and a KW181 (or two if you can afford it)

or

A pair of JBL PRX710 or PRX712 and a PRX718XLF (or two)

Either system will sound great and last you for years.  Expect to spend about $3000 for either system.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 06:25:41 PM »

Medium size system?  Medium size venue?  Medium size crowd?   What is "medium" anyway?

Is there a reason why you've specified these wattage numbers?   
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Thomas Le

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 06:46:01 PM »

What's your budget?

Also, watts don't dictate loudness, it's the max SPL and sensitivity rating that counts.

chuck clark

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »

Hi Mat, since you specify an outdoor system, you should have a look at Community R series and Wet series. Truly wonderful sounding and unsurpassed at withstanding nasty weather.
   I am also having outstanding reliability from my Crest amps. I have an old CA-9 I have been dragging around for years, (it is growing a beard and can now legally drive-Lol) and it has never missed a beat and has delivered a respectable beating to whatever speaker I happen to hook it up to for some 20+ years now !
Good luck to you!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.