ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: audio input to iPad  (Read 6335 times)

Mark McFarlane

audio input to iPad
« on: February 06, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »

I want to hang my iPad off the PAFL output of my console to display an RTA. I've tried 2 different TRRS cables on first and third gen iPads with poor results, the audio  cuts in and out periodically.  (yes, I know the TRRS pinouts,...)

I have an external preamp that works reliably (through a USB input using the camera connector to the iPad), but that is a PITA, needs power (or drains the iPad really fast), is bulky,...

All I really want is a simple 12" long cable that I can patch from a console output to the analog 1/8" TRRS input on my iPad.

Anyone have success doing this?
Mark McFarlane

Jerome Malsack

Re: audio input to iPad
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:22:07 PM »

With the cable you will need to also pad the mixing output down to mic level because the TRRS is expecting a mic input, the cables that I have seen for the iphone is TRS  with mic and speaker.

The TRRS cables that I have usually are the yellow jack for video out. 

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:19:52 PM »

For $36, I am very happy with this for similar issue and needs.

http://amzn.to/1lEbc2A

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:48:08 PM »

For $36, I am very happy with this for similar issue and needs.

http://amzn.to/1lEbc2A

Anyone else have an analog solution?  Maybe a simple digital interface that doesn't require external power and doesn't suck down the iPad battery?
Mark McFarlane

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 05:09:34 PM »

Anyone else have an analog solution?  Maybe a simple digital interface that doesn't require external power and doesn't suck down the iPad battery?

Mark,

I haven't used it but you might try the Amplitube iRig guitar interface; it's passive unlike their Mic interface linked above. I'm not sure what impedance problems you might run into.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 03:06:00 AM »

I think you have to present the appropriate resistance between mic and ground for the iFad to detect the mic.  I tried TRS/XLR adapter to XLR-Pad to XLR-to-iPadMic cable with my resistor-free cable and it didn't work.  I'll keep hunting for my other XLR/iPad cable with the resistor so I can try it again.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 11:07:02 PM »

I think you have to present the appropriate resistance between mic and ground for the iFad to detect the mic.  I tried TRS/XLR adapter to XLR-Pad to XLR-to-iPadMic cable with my resistor-free cable and it didn't work.  I'll keep hunting for my other XLR/iPad cable with the resistor so I can try it again.

Sorry, haven't found that cable yet.  It's bright green so it should stand out...  but it hasn't  Too many cables here.  Maybe someone borrowed it.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 12:52:55 AM »

What about the Apple camera kit?

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 01:07:32 AM »

What about the Apple camera kit?

Thanks Tim.  I have one, its works with class compliant USB devices, but the two USB interfaces I have suck down the iPad battery within an hour or so.  It's a big, bulky solution with a lot of cables,...  I am happy to use the Camera Kit if I can find a USB interface that is tiny-small (fist sized or less) and low power.
Mark McFarlane

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 01:17:31 AM »

I've found this cable: http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-iphone-3rca-a22.htm?CartID=2 (RCA) or this one http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-iphone-micx-a22.htm (XLR).  I have RCA outs on my GLD that I can patch to the PFL bus, and I won't likely use them for anything else.

Which looks like it will do exactly what I want.  My concern is I already have 2 similar cables from old video cameras (without the pad resistors) and they don't work reliably. They work for a second, then the signal drops off for a second, then they work for a second...

Maybe the resistors, as Lyle suggested, are the key to reliability.

I should probably just hack up one of my existing cables, and add the XLR and a resistor inside the shell.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:23:58 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 01:17:31 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.