ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cubase or Logic or Reason or What?  (Read 3663 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Cubase or Logic or Reason or What?
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »

Hi, I'm the moderator on the AC Power & Grounding forum on PSW, but have some non-AC related questions. If I'm in the wrong forum, please guide me to the correct one. Here's the overview.

Well, it's finally happened. After running and teaching live sound to everyone else for the last several decades (has it been that long?) I've gotten the bug to start playing on stage for limited gigs. Now, I was the keyboard player and singer in a bunch of large rock bands from the 70's thru the 80's. But my favorite gig was 2-piece thing I did with my guitarist Karl back in the early 80's. By adding a MXR drum machine and me playing key bass, Mini-Moog, DX7 and other keys, we were able to pull off everything from Springstein to Zeppelin. And it was hard to do this technically back then since the MXR drum machine would only hold about a dozen songs in memory with a cassette tape dirve for backup/restore. So we had to pick sets far in advance and do patter for the 3 minutes it would take to reload the next set of drum loops. Yikes!!!

My vision now is a MacBook Pro as the main backing track player which would include drum tracks as well as MIDI control for LED lighting and a digital mixer with scene changes. It would also hold samples I could access with a MIDI keyboard. The rest of the music would be old-school since I still have my Mini-Moog Synth and Rogue Moog for bass, plus I have my eye on a Hammond B-3 keyboard emulator.

So here's the question. Assume I have access to all the hardware needed (Firewire interface, MIDI control, lots of amps, speakers, IEM's, etc...) what would any of you use for the main editing/sequencing program running this entire mess?  I have the latest Cubase or Nuendo, but can also get Logic. And I taught a recording class last semester which used PropellerHead Reason, and the sample ability was very cool, but the learning curve seemed a bit steep. I also have world-class teacher of each of these programs available as a private tutor, but of course each of them claims their own program is best. Or I'll explore anything else you suggest might work. For instance, I taught classes on MOTO Digital Performer a long time ago, but haven't touched it on 10 years, at least.

This is mainly going to be a drum computer program running internal drum samples as well as sending MIDI to my Alesis D5 plus doing lighting cues and playing back string and voice samples from a MIDI keyboard. It needs a way to build a basic EDL for song lists, start/stop drum tracks with a remote foot switch, and jump around in the song list or restart in the middle if need be. Having song lyrics on screen for reference would be great (my memory ain't what it used to be) and maybe showing chord charts and/or score so Karl and I don't get lost in the drum sequences.

So any thoughts or suggestions on which program would be the most user friendly for this? I'll be my own engineer as well as playing keys, bass and singing in this gig, so it's got to be simple and robust.

Thanks for any ideas you can offer.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:20:20 AM by Mike Sokol »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Cubase or Logic or Reason or What?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »

PM will be sent.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 01:54:37 PM »

Hi, I'm the moderator on the AC Power & Grounding forum on PSW, but have some non-AC related questions. If I'm in the wrong forum, please guide me to the correct one. Here's the overview.

Well, it's finally happened. After running and teaching live sound to everyone else for the last several decades (has it been that long?) I've gotten the bug to start playing on stage for limited gigs. Now, I was the keyboard player and singer in a bunch of large rock bands from the 70's thru the 80's. But my favorite gig was 2-piece thing I did with my guitarist Karl back in the early 80's. By adding a MXR drum machine and me playing key bass, Mini-Moog, DX7 and other keys, we were able to pull off everything from Springstein to Zeppelin. And it was hard to do this technically back then since the MXR drum machine would only hold about a dozen songs in memory with a cassette tape dirve for backup/restore. So we had to pick sets far in advance and do patter for the 3 minutes it would take to reload the next set of drum loops. Yikes!!!

My vision now is a MacBook Pro as the main backing track player which would include drum tracks as well as MIDI control for LED lighting and a digital mixer with scene changes. It would also hold samples I could access with a MIDI keyboard. The rest of the music would be old-school since I still have my Mini-Moog Synth and Rogue Moog for bass, plus I have my eye on a Hammond B-3 keyboard emulator.

So here's the question. Assume I have access to all the hardware needed (Firewire interface, MIDI control, lots of amps, speakers, IEM's, etc...) what would any of you use for the main editing/sequencing program running this entire mess?  I have the latest Cubase or Nuendo, but can also get Logic. And I taught a recording class last semester which used PropellerHead Reason, and the sample ability was very cool, but the learning curve seemed a bit steep. I also have world-class teacher of each of these programs available as a private tutor, but of course each of them claims their own program is best. Or I'll explore anything else you suggest might work. For instance, I taught classes on MOTO Digital Performer a long time ago, but haven't touched it on 10 years, at least.

This is mainly going to be a drum computer program running internal drum samples as well as sending MIDI to my Alesis D5 plus doing lighting cues and playing back string and voice samples from a MIDI keyboard. It needs a way to build a basic EDL for song lists, start/stop drum tracks with a remote foot switch, and jump around in the song list or restart in the middle if need be. Having song lyrics on screen for reference would be great (my memory ain't what it used to be) and maybe showing chord charts and/or score so Karl and I don't get lost in the drum sequences.

So any thoughts or suggestions on which program would be the most user friendly for this? I'll be my own engineer as well as playing keys, bass and singing in this gig, so it's got to be simple and robust.

Logic then stems into Mainstage works very well and seems to be well integrated had that at a gig on Friday and sounded great. On this track all the backing came from a Macbook some was played live from a keyboard the rest from Mainstage G

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90034943/remember.mp3
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:43:26 PM by gordonmcgregor »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »

PM sent
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »

Ableton Live….Very reliable and easy to use.

An amazing program.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.