ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meyer JM-1  (Read 16867 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Meyer JM-1
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »

Based on my 30 years experience of mixing FOH at a comfortable level for me that usually works out to be about 106 dba measured with a Radio Shack meter set to slow response time, I would guess that it was about 106 dbA  JEEEZ. HE asked and I said I'm GUESSING....
....BUT, I made no claim other than it "sounded really good to me."
David,

You answered my question to the best of your abilities based on your observation of 6 Meyer JM-1 and two 700Hp subs at approximately 50 feet indoors producing around 106 dBA slow under humid conditions (about 10 dB louder than I find comfortable, but that is neither "hear" nor there).

Based on Meyer's claimed output level, a 106 dBA level at that distance with that array could be from 18 dB (or quite a bit more) under it's maximum level, the JM-1s would be loafing along at around 10 watts or less apiece.

I found the Meyers cabinets I commented about sounded fine at that level too.

Their HF just did not sound very good when driven anywhere near the rated SPL.
I'd chalk the reason they did not sound very good to HF diaphragm breakup and distortion, which are far more problematic in the low humidity conditions here, due to the added demands placed on HF drivers.

Thanks,

Art
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:15:39 PM by Art Welter »

DavidTurner

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »

:) comment removed by author
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:26:50 PM by DavidTurner »

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 04:17:12 AM »

Some well placed response bumps and grinds between drive units, coupled with critical spacing and horn wall design, permits extended pattern control.

After careful reading the patent, I came to the conclusion IMHO that it's a little bit more sophisticated. Basically the 2 drivers operate in concert from 400 Hz to 1,2 kHz, approx. 1,18 octaves, in combination with clever filtering to optimize the overlapping range in terms of relative magnitude and phase, extending vertical coverage towards lower frequencies. The majority of EQ is applied to optimize frequency response. The all-pass filters aren't novel, these have been used in many products in order to restore transient response and flatten phase response.

Sincerly,

Merlijn

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »

Part of this interview with John Meyer talks about the process of designing a speaker and amplifier, which may be relevant to this thread:

http://mixonline.com/john_meyer_a_lifetime_of_sound_science/

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »

Part of this interview with John Meyer talks about the process of designing a speaker and amplifier, which may be relevant to this thread:

Yes, he describes one of the problems associated with drivers covering very wide bandwidths:
"ON LINEARITY
But in loudspeakers, the minute the cone starts to move it starts to shift some of the frequencies, so you have frequency modulation. We can’t really build something perfectly linear because the nature of the motion itself would change it."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.