ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recommendations for powered front fill boxes  (Read 5154 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
recommendations for powered front fill boxes
« on: February 11, 2014, 08:49:27 AM »

I currently use one or two QSC K8s as front fills for my little shows: good form factor, decent sound, very reliable, and can also be pole mounted for small events.  I'd like to take a step or two up from those, in the $2 - $2.5K per box range.  As front fills, it/they would be used with Fulcrum Acoustic FA12acs (over Fulcrum Acoustics' TS215ac powered subs, hopefully very soon).  What have you used and recommend for powered boxes that would be used primarily as front fills but also for SOS?  Strong preference for Powercon in and through, locking XLR in and through.  Preference for coaxial HF.

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
Re: recommendations for powered front fill boxes
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:19:09 AM »

My favorite Front Fill/SOS/FOH Monitor are L-Acoustics 108P.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:35:23 AM »

I currently use one or two QSC K8s as front fills for my little shows: good form factor, decent sound, very reliable, and can also be pole mounted for small events.  I'd like to take a step or two up from those, in the $2 - $2.5K per box range.  As front fills, it/they would be used with Fulcrum Acoustic FA12acs (over Fulcrum Acoustics' TS215ac powered subs, hopefully very soon).  What have you used and recommend for powered boxes that would be used primarily as front fills but also for SOS?  Strong preference for Powercon in and through, locking XLR in and through.  Preference for coaxial HF.

I second the recommendation for the L'Acoustics 108P. Great sounding box and within your price range.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

David Shriver

• Rockport Music
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:33:10 AM »

Hey Kirby

I was recently in the search for front fills for my venue.  The L'acoustics 108 were my 2nd choice.  We are an all d&b house here so I ended up going with d&b E6 boxes and a D6 amp, but if I hadn't had the desire to stay with a single brand of PA I would have gone with the 108.  I demo'ed a pair here and they were fantastic.

-d

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »

Why not Fulcrum FA28AC with rotated horns? 

Or if you want to save a little money you could do FA28 powered by and amp on Level 2 processing like a Powersoft M20D.  That still sounds better than most of what's out there.

There's also CX986 or FX896.

Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »

I use RCF NX10SMA or NX12SMAs as a center fill.  I wish I had TT08s instead for the form factor or for when I need all of my NX's as monitors.  http://www.rcf.it/products/touring-and-theatre/tt08-a.  They use powercon.  Street price seems to be around $2K but you can get them cheaper, I had a quote last year for around 1,200 if I remember right  I haven't heard the other recommended boxes, and I haven't heard the TT08s, but I do own TT22As and am very happy with them.
Mark McFarlane

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »

TT052As. I use these for misc fill with my TTL11A columns.

I would also consider the Tannoy VXP6, VXP8 or VXP8.2. I haven't personally used these coaxial boxes, but if the build and sound quality equal the larger VX12 models as I expect they would I would happy with them.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.