ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Opinions on Wharfedale Twin 12x Speakers?  (Read 9008 times)

Alan Bonk

Any Opinions on Wharfedale Twin 12x Speakers?
« on: February 11, 2014, 12:42:59 AM »

I saw a set of 4 of these speakers on my local craiglist for just under $100ea.  They seem like nice little speakers - coaxial 12" speaker w/ 1"exit horn.  I'd be using them for monitors and possibly mains for little acoustic gigs or speaking events (trivia nights, etc.).  How do they compare to say the Yamaha Club V series?  They have flypoints which is interesting.  Seems like they're going for like $600 at the few online retailers after a quick Google search, that seemed kinda high considering his asking price.  Anything I should know about these speakers or Wharfedale in general?  Any replacement parts to be had if something goes wrong?  I'll definitely listen to them before I buy them, but I really have no experience with Wharfedale gear, so I thought I'd check here.

here's a link to the speakers on their website. 
http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/PASSIVELOUDSPEAKERS/TWINXSERIES/TWIN12X/tabid/153/Default.aspx

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Any Opinions on Wharfedale Twin 12x Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:38:39 AM »

I saw a set of 4 of these speakers on my local craiglist for just under $100ea.  They seem like nice little speakers - coaxial 12" speaker w/ 1"exit horn.  I'd be using them for monitors and possibly mains for little acoustic gigs or speaking events (trivia nights, etc.).  How do they compare to say the Yamaha Club V series?  They have flypoints which is interesting.  Seems like they're going for like $600 at the few online retailers after a quick Google search, that seemed kinda high considering his asking price.  Anything I should know about these speakers or Wharfedale in general?  Any replacement parts to be had if something goes wrong?  I'll definitely listen to them before I buy them, but I really have no experience with Wharfedale gear, so I thought I'd check here.

here's a link to the speakers on their website. 
http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/PASSIVELOUDSPEAKERS/TWINXSERIES/TWIN12X/tabid/153/Default.aspx

No experience on the actual boxes but some advice is that if a box is selling for a 1/6th of their going rate I would want to listen to them first...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:49:50 AM »

looking at the specs, that's a 200 watt cab, no way they should be going for $600. I always liked the concept of a coaxial speaker, makes for interesting designs, especially for stage monitors, where sometimes space taken up is a big deal. It will be easy to tell if the tweeter works or not, they'll sound really dull if it doesn't. I like to connect a mic and go "ssssssss". That will make the horn go by itself if it's working. Play music through them at low volume, and if a woofer is dragging, that will show up.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »

David, I am surprised that you would equate wattage ratings with value.  I'm sure you are well aware there is much more to a speaker system than it's rated RMS value.  I'd say give the speakers a listen, they could be a hell of a bargain at $100.00 each if they suit your needs. 
As far as comparing them to the Yamaha Club series, just the fact that they are made of birch rather than particle board makes them seem to be a much higher quality cabinet than what you usually find for $100.00.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:35:53 PM by Chuck Simon »

Alan Bonk

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »

Thanks for the input guys.  I'll go check them out and make sure everything's working.  Sounds like they'd be good for me if everything checks out. 

David Parker

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »

Evidently I had a misconception about wharfedale.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 07:26:04 AM »

Evidently I had a misconception about wharfedale.

We have two of their 18" subs(Don't ask me what model) in one of our smaller halls and they aren't terrible...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Lawrence Whipple

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 05:26:26 PM »

My not so humble opinion. I have been a pro sound guy since February 1987. I have used a lot of great speakers and a lot of not so great speakers in that time. One of my clients is a church that has eight of these speakers. Most people familiar with Wharfedale associate them with hi-fi speakers from the 70's, like myself. When I started working at this church (one year ago) I had not known that WD made sound reinforcement speakers. Boy, what an amazing box! I am blown away at how good and how loud these boxes get. I am truly shocked at the pro quality of the cabinets and the drivers. This church has had these boxes for at least a few years prior to my working there. I can't express enough at how good these boxes are. Sure, they are rated at 200 watts. I never would have known by listening to them. They handle prolonged high volume full mixes without fatigue. Manufacture ratings mean sooo little to me (I have a real beef with manufacture ratings). I have no EQ applied to any of my monitor mixes, except that I run my mixes pre-fader/post-eq, so channel EQ does affect monitor mixes. Can't praise them enough. One of my favorite boxes. Would I use them on a tour with Slayer? No. Would I use them as a drum wedge? No. Hope you bought them. A steal at $100 each. They are not too different than Radian Microwedges (not Rat Radian Microwedges, those are different).

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »

My not so humble opinion. I have been a pro sound guy since February 1987. I have used a lot of great speakers and a lot of not so great speakers in that time. One of my clients is a church that has eight of these speakers. Most people familiar with Wharfedale associate them with hi-fi speakers from the 70's, like myself. When I started working at this church (one year ago) I had not known that WD made sound reinforcement speakers. Boy, what an amazing box! I am blown away at how good and how loud these boxes get. I am truly shocked at the pro quality of the cabinets and the drivers. This church has had these boxes for at least a few years prior to my working there. I can't express enough at how good these boxes are. Sure, they are rated at 200 watts. I never would have known by listening to them. They handle prolonged high volume full mixes without fatigue. Manufacture ratings mean sooo little to me (I have a real beef with manufacture ratings). I have no EQ applied to any of my monitor mixes, except that I run my mixes pre-fader/post-eq, so channel EQ does affect monitor mixes. Can't praise them enough. One of my favorite boxes. Would I use them on a tour with Slayer? No. Would I use them as a drum wedge? No. Hope you bought them. A steal at $100 each. They are not too different than Radian Microwedges (not Rat Radian Microwedges, those are different).

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 06:33:40 PM »

looking at the specs, that's a 200 watt cab

Watts don't mean anything. Nor does the SPL for the most part any spec sheets anymore as everyone measures differently. Go listen to them. I though the only made Home theater speakers though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 06:33:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.