ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: multitrack recording from midas pro 1  (Read 23464 times)

philcimolai

multitrack recording from midas pro 1
« on: February 10, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »

Hey All,

I'm curious about the multitrack recording options for the Midas Pro1.  I don't need 96k, 48 is fine but I do want to capture all of the inputs on the board (i.e. 40).  I've done some research but it's still all a bit convoluted to me.  Is the DN9650 --> Madi then Madi into the recording computer (RME madi interface to protools) going to be my easiest solution?  I know this has limitations in channel count when working at 96k but if I'm at 48 will I be able to capture everything?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Best,

Phil

John Penkala

Re: multitrack recording from midas pro 1
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »

Hey All,

I'm curious about the multitrack recording options for the Midas Pro1.  I don't need 96k, 48 is fine but I do want to capture all of the inputs on the board (i.e. 40).  I've done some research but it's still all a bit convoluted to me.  Is the DN9650 --> Madi then Madi into the recording computer (RME madi interface to protools) going to be my easiest solution?  I know this has limitations in channel count when working at 96k but if I'm at 48 will I be able to capture everything?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Best,

Phil

Phil,
      Here are a few ways I know how to do this:

1.DN9650 (AES50) to MADI with the RME interface
2.DN9650 (AES50) to Dante with Dante Virtual Soundcard (Dante Card costs more than the MADI card for the 9650 but you don't need the RME interface)
***I just looked at a pic of the Dante card for the 9650. I see a fiber/lightpipe i/o and what appears to be a pair of BNC's. I thought they would have an ethernet connection. This option might be more expensive than I thought.***
3. Get one of the AES50 to Thunderbolt interfaces from RPM Dynamics.

JP
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:43:54 PM by John Penkala »

Mark Jastrzebski

• Cleveland, OH
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:46:02 PM »

***I just looked at a pic of the Dante card for the 9650. I see a fiber/lightpipe i/o and what appears to be a pair of BNC's. I thought they would have an ethernet connection. This option might be more expensive than I thought.***

The Dante option for the 9650 is Ethernet. Two ethernet ports, one for primary and one for a secondary.  The bnc are for word clock.

The dante virtual sound card is on $30. So the only big investment is the 9650.

John Penkala

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:48:57 AM »

The Dante option for the 9650 is Ethernet. Two ethernet ports, one for primary and one for a secondary.  The bnc are for word clock.

That makes more sense. I expected to see 2 ethernet ports but they weren't shown in the picture on one of the retailers websites.
Incidentally, the MADI card for the 9650 is $129 and the Dante card is $799.

Mark Jastrzebski

• Cleveland, OH
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:01:10 AM »

Incidentally, the MADI card for the 9650 is $129 and the Dante card is $799.

I didn't realize that there was that much of a price difference for the 9650 cards.

philcimolai

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 01:06:29 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.  I have another question though re: the dante option.  If I did get the network bridge with the dante card do I just go cat5 into my laptop to my daw then with this virtual soundcard software?  if yes how many channels can I do simultaneously at 48k?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 01:21:18 PM »

If I did get the network bridge with the dante card do I just go cat5 into my laptop to my daw then with this virtual soundcard software?  if yes how many channels can I do simultaneously at 48k?

Yes. 64.

Mac

philcimolai

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »

jason misterka

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »

Yes. 64.

Mac

But to do 64x64 I think you needed two DN9650 and two cards. At least you used to. It WAS 32x32 each but then they came out with a new card which I believe was 48x48.  Someone should confirm that though, maybe the new card did end up being 64x64...

Jason

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »

But to do 64x64 I think you needed two DN9650 and two cards. At least you used to. It WAS 32x32 each but then they came out with a new card which I believe was 48x48.  Someone should confirm that though, maybe the new card did end up being 64x64...

Jason

Yes, my response was about Dante in general. If there are limits to the I/O card of the console (like there are with Yamaha MY cards) that would be the limit on channels. Both Dante as a network, and the Dante VSC support 64x64 at 48k with a GB connection.

The DN9650 literature claims 72x72 channels, but that takes 3 AES50 streams, leaving only the onboard I/O of the Pro 1 as inputs. If you use one of the AES50 streams for more inputs that may limit the 9650 to only 48 channels.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.