ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 ohm bridge VS 8 ohm stereo  (Read 2631 times)

JonLev

4 ohm bridge VS 8 ohm stereo
« on: June 07, 2014, 07:51:22 AM »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so please bare with me if I've omitted any information regarding my question :)

I've got two 500W RMS (8 ohm) bass bins, which I've been powering off a Samson S2000 (1000W at 4 ohms/channel). Unfortunately, due to a bad repair job, it caught flames and couldn't be fixed again.

My (exceptionally reliable, but Chinese) backup amp puts out 400W RMS at 8 ohms/ch, 700w at 4 ohms/ch, 1250W at 8 ohms bridged and 1700W at 4 ohms bridged. Whether these figures can be trusted who knows? But it gets the job done and hasn't skipped a beat in 7 years, despite being pushed to it's limits each time it's used.

I've been running a mono set up, with 2 tops in parallel on channel 1 and the 2 bass, in parallel on channel 2 (4 ohms each per side). It gets the job done, but the system lacks the low end punch it used to when running the bass off the Samson.

Basically, what I want to know is whether it's a good idea (and if I'd get more punch) to run my amp at 4 ohms bridged with the two subs running in parallel, or having each sub running off its own channel at 8 ohms, and get a smaller amp to handle the mids and highs for the 2 tops.

Unfortunately buying an expensive, more powerful amp is out of the question at the moment. Need to try make do with what I've got for now!

Thanks in advanced :)
J
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:55:15 AM by JonLev »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: 4 ohm bridge VS 8 ohm stereo
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:38:03 AM »

My (exceptionally reliable, but Chinese) backup amp puts out 400W RMS at 8 ohms/ch, 700w at 4 ohms/ch, 1250W at 8 ohms bridged and 1700W at 4 ohms bridged. Whether these figures can be trusted who knows?
If the amp is still reliable at 4 ohms bridged, getting 750 watts compared to 400 watts per driver should net almost 3 dB more output, you should be able to hear a difference. The amp will have to dissipate about twice the heat, so it may run hotter than at 8 ohms, keep it clean.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: 4 ohm bridge VS 8 ohm stereo
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 11:12:29 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.