ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Girl Dies From Shock On City Street  (Read 18973 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Girl Dies From Shock On City Street
« on: February 10, 2014, 04:16:18 PM »

This is terrible. It appears a girl was dancing in the rain when she came in contact with an in-ground junction box that wasn't properly grounded. http://ecmweb.com/around-circuit/girl-dies-shock-city-street?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ECMMostRecent+%28Electrical+Construction+%26+Maintenance%29&Issue=ECM-04_20140210_ECM-04_901&NL=ECM-04&cl=article_10_b&sfvc4enews=42&YM_RID=mike%40noshockzone.org&YM_MID=1448312

Everyone thinks I'm a bit nuts when I walk around with a Non Contact Voltage Tester checking out street light poles and junction boxes. A standard 90-1,000 volt NCVT would have lit up and beeped from a foot or more away from this "hot" box.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Girl Dies From Shock On City Street
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 04:55:47 PM »

This is terrible. It appears a girl was dancing in the rain when she came in contact with an in-ground junction box that wasn't properly grounded. http://ecmweb.com/around-circuit/girl-dies-shock-city-street?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ECMMostRecent+%28Electrical+Construction+%26+Maintenance%29&Issue=ECM-04_20140210_ECM-04_901&NL=ECM-04&cl=article_10_b&sfvc4enews=42&YM_RID=mike%40noshockzone.org&YM_MID=1448312

Everyone thinks I'm a bit nuts when I walk around with a Non Contact Voltage Tester checking out street light poles and junction boxes. A standard 90-1,000 volt NCVT would have lit up and beeped from a foot or more away from this "hot" box.

This is semi-local, Salina is about 80 miles North of us.  Tragic for the family.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:55:29 AM »

This is semi-local, Salina is about 80 miles North of us.  Tragic for the family.

Here is some more info.
http://interactives.ksn.com/photomojo/gallery/10849/207256/inside-look-of-in-ground-junction-box/inside-look-of-in-ground-junction-box/
http://ksn.com/2014/01/31/report-and-photos-of-electrical-shocking-incident-at-campbell-plaza/

Mike  Keep up the good work.  I am sure you have saved a few lives

She would have had a better chance of living if a loaded gun had been laying there instead of a ungrounded box.

Frank
Not to Code

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:17:37 AM »

Here is some more info.
http://interactives.ksn.com/photomojo/gallery/10849/207256/inside-look-of-in-ground-junction-box/inside-look-of-in-ground-junction-box/
http://ksn.com/2014/01/31/report-and-photos-of-electrical-shocking-incident-at-campbell-plaza/

Mike  Keep up the good work.  I am sure you have saved a few lives

She would have had a better chance of living if a loaded gun had been laying there instead of a ungrounded box.

Frank

I'm sure someone thought "hey, that box is in the ground, so it's grounded." :(
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »

I'm sure someone thought "hey, that box is in the ground, so it's grounded." :(

Yeah, I get RV owners who argue with me that putting their leveling jacks on the "ground" actually "grounds" their RV. That's a bunch of crap...  >:(

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 02:45:57 PM »

Yeah, I get RV owners who argue with me that putting their leveling jacks on the "ground" actually "grounds" their RV. That's a bunch of crap...  >:(

Perhaps grounded in the event of a lightning strike....  ::)

Mistakes and sloppy practices can have serious consequences. We need to constantly remind ourselves that electricity can bite us when we least expect.  While dancing outdoors in the rain can invite other serious shock hazards... like during thunder storms. I have been caught running in the rain and experienced some lightning strikes that hit close enough to make me uncomfortable.

Money and contrition will not bring that girl back. RIP

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »

We get occasional reports of live sidewalk sections in the city, where underground service equipment has failed, and energizes things.  Reports of dogs getting zapped while being walked are not rare.

Best regards,

John

Mike Sokol

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »

We get occasional reports of live sidewalk sections in the city, where underground service equipment has failed, and energizes things.  Reports of dogs getting zapped while being walked are not rare.

A couple years ago in Seattle a dog was electrocuted by a light pole that was hot-skin electrified due to a poor ground. They then implemented a testing and grounding program that found 158 streetlights with improper grounding and voltage on them. See http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2011/02/seattle_utility_finds_158_dangerous_light_poles_plates_after_dog_electrocuted.html

It's a shame that testing and repair only gets done after somebody or their pet dies.

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »

Some large systems like ConEd in NYC do routine checks for hot street poles, etc.  unfortunately this is not as common across the country.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »

A couple years ago in Seattle a dog was electrocuted by a light pole...

Many years ago, my sister-in-law put an electric fence (like the kind on farms) around her flowerbed to keep my brother's dog out. Naturally, the dog being curious, he had to check out what this new thing was. Upon sticking his nose on the fence, it zapped him. Well, he didn't think much of being punched in the nose, so he turned around and lifted his leg on it.

He hobbled over to the shade, laid down, and whimpered for a while.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.