ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Options for "simulcast" for live symphony  (Read 7271 times)

Chris Johnson [UK]

Re: Options for "simulcast" for live symphony
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »

I think you wanna look at options 1 and 4.

2 is unreliable at best, and 3 will be expensive and have a ton of latency.

If you can get a duplex dark fibre between the 2 sites, then you are laughing. Embed your audio in an SDI stream with the video, convert that to singlemode fibre, and off you go.

If you can get lit IP fibre, you can certainly make this work too, although you'll almost certainly have to compress the video. The advantage of dark fibre is that this can all be transmitted uncompressed.

Option 4 would also work well, and there are lots of commercial solutions for transmitting SDI w/ embedded audio over microwaves
Riedel Communications

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »

A single duplex of dark fiber between locations is absolutely the best option.  You can run a hd-sdi signal uncompressed with 16 channels of audio each direction (or two one direction).  It's also going to be the most reliable and easiest to setup.  If you could get a second duplex you could run your entire dante network out to the remote site too (no redundancy on the network though). 

Comms are a little more tricky. 

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »

If you get your Dante out there com should be easy with some 4 wire interfaces.  Run the com audio over the Dante, done. If you are doing sdi each way you could potentially do the same as well.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »

So I just had our first pre production meeting with the Symphony and the Cox Communications people.

Cox's plan is to park a production truck and a microwave transmitter truck outside our building and set up a microwave receiver at the park. THey want either two channel analog audio, or audio on SDI if we need to send them multi track.

Transmission will be one way only, from our theatre to the park.

I will mix the symphony for the broadcast, but not for reinforcement in the theatre (other than the curtain speech, conductor etc..).  I'm going to close mic the symphony and send Cox a stereo mix.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »

So I just had our first pre production meeting with the Symphony and the Cox Communications people.

Cox's plan is to park a production truck and a microwave transmitter truck outside our building and set up a microwave receiver at the park. THey want either two channel analog audio, or audio on SDI if we need to send them multi track.

Transmission will be one way only, from our theatre to the park.

I will mix the symphony for the broadcast, but not for reinforcement in the theatre (other than the curtain speech, conductor etc..).  I'm going to close mic the symphony and send Cox a stereo mix.
Why closemic?
Remember to do a "clap" test to ensure video/audio is in sync. This test should be the whole way and include the video screen processing.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »

Why closemic?

Because we have an ungodly loud room with lots of HVAC noise. I say close mic, but it's really more like section micing...one mic for every four or so string players, one per pair of wood winds etc...
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »

Because we have an ungodly loud room with lots of HVAC noise. I say close mic, but it's really more like section micing...one mic for every four or so string players, one per pair of wood winds etc...
Makes perfect sense.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.