ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic suggestions  (Read 7673 times)

Thomas Le

Re: Mic suggestions
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 01:25:44 PM »

SM86 & SM87A are sleeper mics, I recently discovered that they perform better than the Beta counterpart. SM86 replaced my SM58.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »

How about some mic for the guitar cabinet?   

Sennheiser  E609

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 02:22:22 PM »

How about some mic for the guitar cabinet?   

Sennheiser  E609

Other than the flat package, it's basically an SM57.

Spend the extra $$ and get the e906.  You can make it sound not like a 57... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »

Other than the flat package, it's basically an SM57.

Spend the extra $$ and get the e906.  You can make it sound not like a 57... ;)

With the 906 available, there's just no excuse for the 609.  Weird, considering they're from the same company.  Maybe some kind of dyslexia in the nomenclature department spilling over into engineering?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

David Shriver

• Rockport Music
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 04:39:20 PM »

The sub $200 range makes this tricky.  Every mic that comes to mind that I want to recommend is going to be more than that.  I do like the Sennheiser vocals (e935, e8xx, etc).  Some of the other 900 series Sennheisers are worth looking into also.  The e906 is a great mic for guitar cab and for percussion.  The e905 is great for snare, and the 904s are great for toms.  The 902 or 602 are both great kick mics.  For kick you could also look at an AKG D112.  The Shure beta98 is an interesting problem solver sometimes and is about that price.  The Shure PG81 is decent if you want a low cost condenser.   But for the $200 and under range I typically just stick with SM58s and SM57s.  They are both great mics.  They are extremely durable and versatile.  I've worked in plenty of venues that only own 58s and 57s. 

-d

I have some decent drum mics in my kit but for vocals I keep it simple. I carry SM58's SM57's and an Audix OM5. I want to add a couple more mics for added selection but as I get no issues from what I use, I don't want to invest a whole lot of cash in something. What would you suggest to add some more choice to what I have - keeping in the <$200 range?

BTW - even though I had stated " I get no issues" (from my SM's), on saturday evening, I had one of my SM's go down. First time EVER. I opened it up and the yellow wire was loose and as I held it in my hand, the green one popped off too. Weird. It is one of my newer ones too. I soldered them back and all is well but I couldn't believe it. Probably time to stop using it as a hammer when not used for vocals !!! he he

Jared Koopman

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 04:41:19 PM »

I have some decent drum mics in my kit but for vocals I keep it simple. I carry SM58's SM57's and an Audix OM5. I want to add a couple more mics for added selection but as I get no issues from what I use, I don't want to invest a whole lot of cash in something. What would you suggest to add some more choice to what I have - keeping in the <$200 range?

BTW - even though I had stated " I get no issues" (from my SM's), on saturday evening, I had one of my SM's go down. First time EVER. I opened it up and the yellow wire was loose and as I held it in my hand, the green one popped off too. Weird. It is one of my newer ones too. I soldered them back and all is well but I couldn't believe it. Probably time to stop using it as a hammer when not used for vocals !!! he he

I have had good results with the Audio Technica AE6100 and Sennheiser E935/945.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »

935 is a real SM58 replacement for me, I'm a big fan.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »

I have a pretty large selection of mics, but I seem to always fall back on older 58s for those who like them, or the Heil PR-22 and PR-35. Either one will do a better job (IMO) than most of the mics mentioned above. I could be jaded though, Bob Heil is a friend of mine.

another favorite of mine is the PR-30 and PR-40. Super duper for guitars and wind instruments. And for the retro look the Heil FIN now comes in black.

http://geartechs.com/index.php/heil
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »

And what opinions are there for the EV lines?   N/D 767,  I had a good show with their PL33 in a kick and enjoyed the sound from that mic.  I have been looking and wanted to try the N/D 767 to see how that works. 

Tomm Williams

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »

Unlike some folks here, I simply don't care for the PR35. I had a pair of them and was utterly disappointed YMMV. When reaching for something other than a 58 there are a couple of mics I quite like. One is the Sennheiser 431 Profipower. Although discontinued years ago, they are not that hard to find. For smoother, jazz kinda stuff I find them nearly unbeatable. For a good all-rounder I prefer the Senn 935 and for louder stages (or other issues) I keep a handful of EV967's. Glad to read about the connection between Alison Krause and the SM86. Always loved her vocals, never knew what she was using. For cabinets I like the SM59 or an EV308.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.