ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic suggestions  (Read 7678 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Mic suggestions
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:09:43 AM »

I have some decent drum mics in my kit but for vocals I keep it simple. I carry SM58's SM57's and an Audix OM5. I want to add a couple more mics for added selection but as I get no issues from what I use, I don't want to invest a whole lot of cash in something. What would you suggest to add some more choice to what I have - keeping in the <$200 range?

BTW - even though I had stated " I get no issues" (from my SM's), on saturday evening, I had one of my SM's go down. First time EVER. I opened it up and the yellow wire was loose and as I held it in my hand, the green one popped off too. Weird. It is one of my newer ones too. I soldered them back and all is well but I couldn't believe it. Probably time to stop using it as a hammer when not used for vocals !!! he he
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Mic suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »

One mic I added was a PR35 Heil for use with singing drummers. It has great side and rear rejection. It is more $$ but it has a special use for me. I also use it for a singer that sings bass and he likes the sound of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

gary makovsky

• Delmont (Pittsburgh) PA
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »

I have some decent drum mics in my kit but for vocals I keep it simple. I carry SM58's SM57's and an Audix OM5. I want to add a couple more mics for added selection but as I get no issues from what I use, I don't want to invest a whole lot of cash in something. What would you suggest to add some more choice to what I have - keeping in the <$200 range?

BTW - even though I had stated " I get no issues" (from my SM's), on saturday evening, I had one of my SM's go down. First time EVER. I opened it up and the yellow wire was loose and as I held it in my hand, the green one popped off too. Weird. It is one of my newer ones too. I soldered them back and all is well but I couldn't believe it. Probably time to stop using it as a hammer when not used for vocals !!! he he

Hi Debbie,

Beta 58s would be a good choice. Been my go to mic for years and affordable, and for the really soft female singer the beta 87 works well but picks up everything on stage with lots a drum bleed.

G

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »

Hi Debbie-

I've got a serious microphone addiction problem and some very strong opinions about certain popular mics.

First, I pretty much hate any Shure mic with the word "Beta" and used for vocals, especially for female singers.  There, I said it.

I really like Shure's SM-86, as the presence peak is fairly wide (a couple of octaves, IIRC) and responds well to corrective EQ.  I use them on a wide variety of vocals and find them flexible.  My first exposure to this model was Alison Krauss, and if it helped make her happy, I was happy.  Anyway, it's a condenser that will run on 15v. or greater.  I own 6 of them.

Also in the Half Dozen Dept is the AKG C-535.  Love them on lecterns, traditional choral setups, any place they won't get yelled into, or used by singers that really don't need amplification to begin with...  I don't use them all that often any more, but they are nice mics.

For a different character, I also have 6 Beyer M-69.  Kind of a hyper-cardioid with a presence peak that may or may not be what you're looking for with a particular vocal.  I think they are most flattering for male vocals and I used them with female jazz singers to good result.

How much do you want to spend and what kind of characteristics are you seeking?

edit ps... there is a sticky thread near the top of the Lounge that is specifically about vocal mics.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:05:37 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »

Check your PM's.    ;D
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »

Sennheiser e835s are good for the money; they work well on my band's lead singer(SM 58s don't work so well), but YMMV. One mic I don't particularly like is the AKG D880; it gets pretty nasty sounding if the singer gets a little off axis.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 12:56:42 PM »

Sennheiser E835 about $90 or you can move up to the E935 for about $160

Bob Kidd

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 01:00:11 PM »

Sennheiser E835 about $90 or you can move up to the E935 for about $160

+1.  935

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 01:15:27 PM »

I try to stay away from vocal mics that require phantom power. There's good mics that don't need it. Just one more thing you don't have to mess with

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »

I like the 935 too. 

For something significantly different than what you have, you could try a condenser.  The Audio-Technica AT2010 is a cheap, good sounding, moderately tough condenser.  Obviously not for the quiet vocalist who stands directly in front of the drums but for many other vocal situations and some instrument applications, it's a good mic.

Like you, I have some OM5's.  I really like those for loud stages.  They have a really tight pattern.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.