ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QU-16 users with an AR2412?  (Read 9367 times)

gary makovsky

• Delmont (Pittsburgh) PA
Re: QU-16 users with an AR2412?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »

OK.  I found it.  You don't need the 2412 connected to get the 48v icon on the touch screen, simply go to the second layer, select ST1 and use the Fn button at the lower left of the screen to select "source".  If you then choose "dSnake/select all" as your source, you'll get 48v confirmed available on ALL THREE STEREO INPUTS.

Whoop....

Very cool, You all rock...
Thank you once again.  now to part with some benjamins...

gary makovsky

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 12:36:40 PM »

a question posed on the A&H forum was "can I plug in a Y cable to the AR stage box to get a mono channel since they are fixed hard panned?
Not too off topic but may be helpful to others here with this solution as well:

"Gave the Y cable some thought to get 48V to a condenser to fake a mono channel to stereo... It should work but once you think about the two pull up resistors to get 48V to the mic, You would be putting them in parallel thus decreasing the impedance in half possibly applying too much current to the mic??? may or may not damage the mic but will def cause impedance issues with the 48V supply.  What separates the 48V DC to the first gain stage is some small caps like .1 to do DC filtering. 

FIX: take you standard XLR Y cable and add two .1 caps to the + and - pins 2 and 3  in series (inline) to one of the splits going to the stage box. This will prevent the two 48V DC from being connected. Since 48V will be applied to both ins- ch 17 and 18 it wouldnt matter which XLR end with the dc blocking caps gets plugged in to 17 or 18."

Once again thanks to all for great help.

G Lee

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »

a question posed on the A&H forum was "can I plug in a Y cable to the AR stage box to get a mono channel since they are fixed hard panned?
Not too off topic but may be helpful to others here with this solution as well:

"Gave the Y cable some thought to get 48V to a condenser to fake a mono channel to stereo... It should work but once you think about the two pull up resistors to get 48V to the mic, You would be putting them in parallel thus decreasing the impedance in half possibly applying too much current to the mic??? may or may not damage the mic but will def cause impedance issues with the 48V supply.  What separates the 48V DC to the first gain stage is some small caps like .1 to do DC filtering. 

FIX: take you standard XLR Y cable and add two .1 caps to the + and - pins 2 and 3  in series (inline) to one of the splits going to the stage box. This will prevent the two 48V DC from being connected. Since 48V will be applied to both ins- ch 17 and 18 it wouldnt matter which XLR end with the dc blocking caps gets plugged in to 17 or 18."

Once again thanks to all for great help.

G Lee

What's the point, other than being able to do it?  I fail to understand the utility.  If you need something to be mono, then use a mono channel.  For me the point is pretty much moot.

This trips one of my sore spots. If I need more channels, I bring a larger mixer.   
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

gary makovsky

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 01:15:39 PM »

What's the point, other than being able to do it?  I fail to understand the utility.  If you need something to be mono, then use a mono channel.  For me the point is pretty much moot.

This trips one of my sore spots. If I need more channels, I bring a larger mixer.   

I agree totally, for what i'm doing like others, 16 channels is plenty but for that rare occasion you still have the ability to do 19 channels. Not all of us have access to larger boards or options.  Just giving others out there some ability just in case the occasion arises. once I get the AR I think i'll make up some Y cables to just keep in the trunk.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 01:17:27 PM »

I agree totally, for what i'm doing like others, 16 channels is plenty but for that rare occasion you still have the ability to do 19 channels. Not all of us have access to larger boards or options.  Just giving others out there some ability just in case the occasion arises. once I get the AR I think i'll make up some Y cables to just keep in the trunk.

I think I'd just put a stereo source on those channels, like a keyboard submix.  It may mess up a pretty input layout but you won't need Y cables or be worried about the phantom power resistors.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

gary makovsky

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 01:24:57 PM »

I think I'd just put a stereo source on those channels, like a keyboard submix.  It may mess up a pretty input layout but you won't need Y cables or be worried about the phantom power resistors.

Exactly what I do, I got Keys on ST2 and drum samples on ST3.  My original thought was also move drum overheads to ST1 and free up two channels on the first layer just in case... the option is there if I need it and once I get the AR I know now I can still do it. I was just trying to address, if needed, you can still make the ST1 ins a mono channel.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »

Dear A&H...

I am sending you the AR2412 I just purchased for warranty repair.  I made a custom input cable for it and now it doesn't work right.  Please fix it for me.

Don Quixote

PS 

I think I grabbed the wrong cable from the box...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.