ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Speakers for a Track show  (Read 5839 times)

Cailen Waddell

Re: Powered Speakers for a Track show
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »

What coverage do you need?  If it is 90 degrees or less then 2 speakers will do.

How low do you want to go.  For a quality cabinet on a tripod, you are going to loose some low end if you want to keep it lift able by one person.

Timothy O'hara

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »

What coverage do you need?  If it is 90 degrees or less then 2 speakers will do.

How low do you want to go.  For a quality cabinet on a tripod, you are going to loose some low end if you want to keep it lift able by one person.

I need multipurpose, i chose 4 speakers for coverage and SPL's. What model and brands do you suggest?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 10:20:54 PM »

I'm subversive...  We have JBL prx cabs, but generally we reserve them for utility/monitor duty (fine for the level act we work with).  For a top?  Danley. 4 sm60fs if you need the coverage or 2 sm96s if you don't. All CAN be stand mounted, but maybe not as easy as a JbL prx.

4 cabs will increase your coverage, but won't really increase your spl unless you overlap coverage at which point, you didn't bring enough rig for the gig and perhaps should consider a dual PA type setup.

The danley isn't cheap but will sound great....  I expect they will far exceed you budget.  I think the powered sm60f is going to be about 2800 a piece street - BUT that's a couple year old number from memory. 

Timothy O'hara

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 01:32:06 AM »

I'm subversive...  We have JBL prx cabs, but generally we reserve them for utility/monitor duty (fine for the level act we work with).  For a top?  Danley. 4 sm60fs if you need the coverage or 2 sm96s if you don't. All CAN be stand mounted, but maybe not as easy as a JbL prx.

4 cabs will increase your coverage, but won't really increase your spl unless you overlap coverage at which point, you didn't bring enough rig for the gig and perhaps should consider a dual PA type setup.

The danley isn't cheap but will sound great....  I expect they will far exceed you budget.  I think the powered sm60f is going to be about 2800 a piece street - BUT that's a couple year old number from memory.

Thank you,  I will check them out, and maybe arrange a demo.  I have heard very good things about them.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »

I have 3 large (16 box) SRX system's. 

Why do you need to buy a new (small) rig for this job when you already have SRX available?
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

John Penkala

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 09:30:15 AM »

I have been working with some artist lately that are doing track shows (cd/ipod + 1 microphone) mainly in hotel or small convention spaces with around 400 to 700 people in attendance.  I am currently running a small inexpensive system of 4 JBL JRX subs, 4 matching tops, and a Behringer X32 I hate this speaker system, it is to bulky with the amp racks and all, plus the projection SUCKS. I want to compact down and get better quality.

I want just 4 powered speakers on tripods, that have a smooth projection for 75 to 100 feet, and have "okay" bass response.

Maybe better than average DJ or guitar center type boxes?

Does anyone own and have real world experience with powered speakers in a similar situation as mine that they are happy with?

Timothy,
             I know I'm going to get some folks adamantly disagreeing with me on this. And they will swear up and down that their QSC K series, JBL PRX, or Yamaha DSR will do 75-100' with clarity. In my opinion, they simply don't.  Most are good to 30' and the best ones to 50'. Although all of the aforementioned speaker lines are better than the JRX series you currently have, you are going to have to go up the quality/cost ladder quite a bit or adjust your expectations downward.  Good luck!!

JP

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 10:11:35 AM »

Timothy,
             I know I'm going to get some folks adamantly disagreeing with me on this. And they will swear up and down that their QSC K series, JBL PRX, or Yamaha DSR will do 75-100' with clarity. In my opinion, they simply don't.  Most are good to 30' and the best ones to 50'. Although all of the aforementioned speaker lines are better than the JRX series you currently have, you are going to have to go up the quality/cost ladder quite a bit or adjust your expectations downward.  Good luck!!

JP

This is not a function exclusively of the loudspeaker itself, but a combination of room acoustics (reflections) and small horns combined with direct radiators.

The small horns & direct radiators don't have enough pattern control to effectively keep the audio within the specified coverage area at all frequencies and the reflections of audio off walls, floors and ceilings reduce the Critical Distance, the distance at which the direct energy from the loudspeaker is equal to the energy reflected by the walls, ceiling & floor.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Penkala

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »

This is not a function exclusively of the loudspeaker itself, but a combination of room acoustics (reflections) and small horns combined with direct radiators.

The small horns & direct radiators don't have enough pattern control to effectively keep the audio within the specified coverage area at all frequencies and the reflections of audio off walls, floors and ceilings reduce the Critical Distance, the distance at which the direct energy from the loudspeaker is equal to the energy reflected by the walls, ceiling & floor.

+1

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »

Exactly.

And although it is nice to have a speaker (system) capable of clear projection of sound out to 100', if that takes you to the rear wall then you'll be getting nice, clear REFLECTIONS off of it.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.