ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Speakers for a Track show  (Read 5841 times)

Timothy O'hara

Powered Speakers for a Track show
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:39:37 PM »

I have been working with some artist lately that are doing track shows (cd/ipod + 1 microphone) mainly in hotel or small convention spaces with around 400 to 700 people in attendance.  I am currently running a small inexpensive system of 4 JBL JRX subs, 4 matching tops, and a Behringer X32 I hate this speaker system, it is to bulky with the amp racks and all, plus the projection SUCKS. I want to compact down and get better quality.

I want just 4 powered speakers on tripods, that have a smooth projection for 75 to 100 feet, and have "okay" bass response.

Maybe better than average DJ or guitar center type boxes?

Does anyone own and have real world experience with powered speakers in a similar situation as mine that they are happy with?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Powered Speakers for a Track show
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »

There is a rule on this forum requiring the use of your real name when posting here.  You won't get an answer til you follow that stipulation but beyond that, I have to ask just how seriously you expect anyone to take a question from someone who chooses ' I ate a cat turd " as their forum name?

Timothy O'hara

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »

True True.  I'm a newbie to the forums,  I didn't see a real name section when i logged in...  I will look around for the setup or profile menu...

Timothy O'hara

Powered Speakers for a Track show
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:36:24 PM »

I have been working with some artist lately that are doing track shows (cd/ipod + 1 microphone) mainly in hotel or small convention spaces with around 400 to 700 people in attendance.  I am currently running a small inexpensive system of 4 JBL JRX subs, 4 matching tops, and a Behringer X32 I hate this speaker system, it is to bulky with the amp racks and all, plus the projection SUCKS. I want to compact down and get better quality.

I want just 4 powered speakers on tripods, that have a smooth projection for 75 to 100 feet, and have "okay" bass response.

Does anyone own and have real world experience with powered speakers in a similar situation as mine that they are happy with?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »

Why do you want 4 speakers?

What is your budget?

Do you have a weight limit for the speakers?

Without knowing those "starting questions" there is no way to get a decent answer.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brian Charbobs

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »

Well first of all you are going to get many different answers on what to get. As myself I use Yorkville NX55P. They work great for me with excellent Bass response.  I am in a small band and they do all I want them to do. Lot of folks here love JBL, QSC, etc, but you will have to decide what's best for you

Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Timothy O'hara

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »

Why do you want 4 speakers?

What is your budget?

Do you have a weight limit for the speakers?

Without knowing those "starting questions" there is no way to get a decent answer.

Mainly these track shows are love songs or Broadway type songs, not metal or rap, so I'm thinking I "might" be able to not use subs...

4 "powered" speakers to get rid of the amp racks

budget = I don't know, depend on projection and quality. I am worried that the jbl prx and the qsc K12's wont push through that many people.  they might work, i just don't know (that's why I'm asking)

weight limit - to go on to tripods without ground stacking.

Timothy O'hara

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 06:10:32 PM »

Well first of all you are going to get many different answers on what to get. As myself I use Yorkville NX55P. They work great for me with excellent Bass response.  I am in a small band and they do all I want them to do. Lot of folks here love JBL, QSC, etc, but you will have to decide what's best for you

Mr. Brian, do you think there is a quality difference between guitar center line speakers and the Medium priced, more professional grade speakers, "worth the extra money spent"?

I looked up the yorkville NX55p's that you spoke of.  they have 1" comp drivers.  my current speakers have 1" drivers and wont project. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:16:55 PM by Timothy O'hara »

Brian Charbobs

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 08:12:52 PM »

Mr. Brian, do you think there is a quality difference between guitar center line speakers and the Medium priced, more professional grade speakers, "worth the extra money spent"?

I looked up the yorkville NX55p's that you spoke of.  they have 1" comp drivers.  my current speakers have 1" drivers and wont project.
Well yes and No. Is this your livelihood? If it just a occasional hobby, then why spend a ton of money? If you can get the pro grade, by all means, I am being told the Yamaha powered speakers are very good for the dollar DXR or the DSR series, depending how much you want to spend.
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Timothy O'hara

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »

Well yes and No. Is this your livelihood? If it just a occasional hobby, then why spend a ton of money? If you can get the pro grade, by all means, I am being told the Yamaha powered speakers are very good for the dollar DXR or the DSR series, depending how much you want to spend.

I have done production for 25 years, I have 3 large (16 box) SRX system's.  This is for a small client (hince, the X32 and JRX). I'm new to digital consoles and powered speakers.  I should have purchased a different system than this JRX rig. 

I'm looking for good quality. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.