ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: digico line input  (Read 2960 times)

Daniel Ellis

digico line input
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »

Getting ready to do some shows on a SD9 using a few external preamps that our studio producer wants to use.

Looking at the offline software I don't see a line input selector.   Is there a "line" button somewhere?  Or should I just patch the input at the Insert return?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: digico line input
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »

IIRC, Digico uses a similar model to Yamaha, in that if the gain pot it turn all the way down, it is line level and the mic preamp only kicks in once you start turning it up.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
digico line input
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 04:08:02 PM »

It sorta depends on what stagebox you have, but is sorta the same either way. Standard with an SD9 is D-rack which is like an SC48, it has 10 db of gain when all the way down, and an available 20db pad in the headamp section. Same with SD9 onboard pres. MADI-rack or etc is a continuous control like Yamaha or Soundcraft, starting at -10.

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »

Getting ready to do some shows on a SD9 using a few external preamps that our studio producer wants to use.

Looking at the offline software I don't see a line input selector.   Is there a "line" button somewhere?  Or should I just patch the input at the Insert return?
You will not gain anything soundwise by patching the input as an input return. Just use the normal inputs. If you want a true line level only input you could buy something like http://www.directout.eu/en/products/andiamo.html and connect it to the SD9 MADI input.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »

Digico inputs are very clean. Put an API through it and it'll still sound like an API. I can't imagine you could realize any meaningful benefits from going in to a true "straight to converter" path in a live sound environment. Just plug er in...

Daniel Ellis

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »

Digico inputs are very clean. Put an API through it and it'll still sound like an API. I can't imagine you could realize any meaningful benefits from going in to a true "straight to converter" path in a live sound environment. Just plug er in...

thanks for the replies.   yea i don't care about the sound of any external preamp.. Id rather just use on board everything.  They're recording an album and the producer wants specific preamps for his specific sounds. 

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:04:11 PM »

They're recording an album and the producer wants specific preamps for his specific sounds.

::)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:04:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.