ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Mixers  (Read 23495 times)

James A. Griffin

Re: Digital Mixers
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 07:59:44 PM »

I have always been a heavey EV fan but they have so many different 12 inch boxes t choose from, I finally gave up and threw in the towel.  Subs have been another rodeo, geewizz how many powered single 18 subs can we have to choose from,

Seems like you're the kind of guy who can catch up on those 14 years.     Any of the mixers mentioned will work for you. None of them suck.    Just figure out the feature set you want and the price you can comfortably pay and you'll have a few good options to choose from.

Just a quick word about speakers.   Go Powered - all the amplification you need and processing built into the boxes makes it easier to carry around and takes the guesswork out of a lot of the set up.    Buy  top / sub
boxes that are made to work together.  The crossovers are built in and correctly set up... And in most cases, if you buy a top that sits on the sub via pole, there is time-alignment built into the system.

Ask questions about anything you're unsure about.  There's lots of knowledge on this forum to tap into.  Learn from our mistakes  ;-)
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 11:43:29 PM »

I'd go for an X32 Compact over an O1V96 for certain, but one can get clean used Yammies for a fair bit less than new - same goes for used Presonus (since the X32 family came out).  (I might have some Yammies.)

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 08:44:08 AM »

Current version of 01v96 is the 01V96i with a street price of $2400 and that gives him only 12 mic inputs.  He'll have to spend another $180 to get up to his required 16, which brings him to  $580 over budget.

James, I was thinking used 01v96 (2).  The board in great shape can be had for less than $1,100.  Add a used Presonus 8 channel pre amp for another $350 and you have a great small and portable system for about $1,500.  I should have been clear that I was talking used and in great shape

If it were me and I was the one mixing, I would get the Behringer X32 Rack and an iPad and be done with it.  Cost including the iPad +- $1,850 and you can expand to 32 channels down the road for another $750.

Bill  ;)
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

James A. Griffin

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 08:59:55 AM »

James, I was thinking used 01v96 (2).  The board in great shape can be had for less than $1,100.  Add a used Presonus 8 channel pre amp for another $350 and you have a great small and portable system for about $1,500.  I should have been clear that I was talking used and in great shape

If it were me and I was the one mixing, I would get the Behringer X32 Rack and an iPad and be done with it.  Cost including the iPad +- $1,850 and you can expand to 32 channels down the road for another $750.

Bill  ;)

Sure..  The OP didn't say whether he wants new or used.

If bang for buck is important,  he should consider the Behringer ADA8000 for the 8 channel preamp.   NEW price is $179, used probably in the $100 range.   It has the added bonus of 8 XLR outputs, something really useful since the 01V96v2 has only 6 outputs.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »

Along the same lines as the OP's need for a digital mixer...

If one was "mixing from stage" (I know.. don't shoot me!) and the 5-piece band was currently using a Mackie CR16 (4 Aux's - 2 for wedge mixes, 2 for effects) but needing to go all IEM (5 AUX's needed for individual mixes) and be able to rack mount the console in same rack as amps, DSP, etc. what do you guys think would be the best mixer (same budget as OP) ??

16 channels is enough.. band is regional level and plays roughly 70:30 own to house PA ratio.
Intent would be to have IEM mix and FOH combined in same console. When running their own PA, mixer runs IEM's and FOH. When using house PA, house split is fed into SAME console for IEM mix only.

• Most venues played refuse to allow an FOH desk out front, or snake runs around dance floor or over the top. Since the band would have to have a BE mixing from stage in those venues anyway, the decision was made (before I arrived) to do it themselves and not have one.
  • Band leader owns PA, mixes from stage and plays guitar.

Interested in your thoughts..

James A. Griffin

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 12:41:50 PM »

Along the same lines as the OP's need for a digital mixer...

If one was "mixing from stage" (I know.. don't shoot me!) and the 5-piece band was currently using a Mackie CR16 (4 Aux's - 2 for wedge mixes, 2 for effects) but needing to go all IEM (5 AUX's needed for individual mixes) and be able to rack mount the console in same rack as amps, DSP, etc. what do you guys think would be the best mixer (same budget as OP) ??

16 channels is enough.. band is regional level and plays roughly 70:30 own to house PA ratio.
Intent would be to have IEM mix and FOH combined in same console. When running their own PA, mixer runs IEM's and FOH. When using house PA, house split is fed into SAME console for IEM mix only.

That brings us back to the X32 Rack.    16x8 out of the box, expandable to 32x16

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »

That brings us back to the X32 Rack.    16x8 out of the box, expandable to 32x16
thanks... does anyone know how reliable the ipad interface is?

James A. Griffin

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 05:20:34 PM »

An "iPad interface" is as reliable as the router that connects it to the mixer.   I've had no problems with wireless connectivity with my X32, X32 Core, or X32 Rack.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »

While I have way less time using it than most other x32 users on here, I have had no problems with it on my iPad 1(which is pretty terrible at running most apps; DON'T get one) connected to the mixer via a cheap(~$30) Netgear router. This, however, is in a church that is devoid of other WiFi devices/networks. The iPad 1 runs the x32 app pretty good considering how slow it is and I haven't had it crash(a common occurrence for most other apps on my iPad) though it runs kinda slow. I figure if it runs good on the iPad 1 it's excellent on the iPad 2+.

Steve Garris

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 05:33:46 PM »

I've been using the Mackie DL1608 very successfully for just over a year now. The board works perfectly for me, mixing small club bands, and the portability is unmatched.

Regarding speakers, the KW's and Yamaha DSR speakers are excellent - I've used both. I prefer the sound of the 15's, over subs, but others here prefer the 12's. My favorite speaker in this price range are the JBL PRX600 series (discontinued). I would recommend the new 700 series but there have been issues with these (reliability, noisy fan).  And I know what you mean about the EV line! I just sat down the other day and made some notes regarding the various models of powered & passive boxes.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 05:33:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.