ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Mixers  (Read 23491 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Digital Mixers
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »

if motorized faders are not a "must have", I've been very happy with my Presonus 16.4.2 (not the AI model) and folks on here are praising the A&H QU-16.
The A&H would be my choice if I was in the market for a 16-ch digital mixer. YMMV.

+1 for the A&H QU16 - purchased mine in November last year and found the transition from analogue pretty easy. I love the A & H workflow and the big seller was being able to record directly onto a small hard drive - download into pro-tools - DONE. Also allows for easy virtual soundcheck. Motorized faders have a quality feel to them. Easy ipad connection - so I don't even bother with the snake anymore so saved me money upgrading to digital snake. Suits me needs perfectly. No expansion potential though but you said 16 channels.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

James A. Griffin

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 05:21:11 PM »

+100 on the X32 Compact..     It gives you 16 x 8 right out of the box and if you ever need to grow, just add an S16 stage box to double that.

It cost less than the 01v96, sounds better, has more & better FX, and is easier to learn if it's your first digital mixer.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:04:23 PM by James A. Griffin »
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 06:44:17 PM »

I wish there was some sort of "forum filter" so that someone seeking advice would know if they were getting it from someone with actual experience with the product or someone who is just regurgitating info they have read on the web. There is so much more to a mixing board than its spec sheet!

Those commenting on equipment they actually use have credibility with me, but some of these posts that are merely laundry lists of features are really not that valuable.  We are all capable of performing Google searches!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:47:46 PM by Chuck Simon »

James A. Griffin

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 06:48:41 PM »

I wish there was some sort of "forum filter" so that someone seeking advice would know if they were getting it from someone with actual experience with the product or someone who is just regurgitating info they have read on the web. There is so much more to a mixing board than its spec sheet!

+1   

FWIW, my digital mixer path was :01V96v2 > 24.4.2 > X32.    X32 smokes both of those, at least for me.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 07:00:47 PM »

+1   
FWIW, my digital mixer path was :01V96v2 > 24.4.2 > X32.    X32 smokes both of those, at least for me.
Mine was Soundcraft Spirit328->Presonus 24.4.2->Behringer X32.  Same conclusion as you.
M

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »

I know you guys love your X32's, but don't forget the OP's stated budget.

Oops, The best price I could find on the board I recommended is $2100.00 - I'm over budget too!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:10:53 PM by Chuck Simon »

James A. Griffin

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »

you might want to consider the Yamaha 01v96 (2) or (VCM).  They are built like tanks, they're small and portable and by adding a 4 channel digital EQ you have everything in a small, portable package for under $1,600 - $1,800. 

Current version of 01v96 is the 01V96i with a street price of $2400 and that gives him only 12 mic inputs.  He'll have to spend another $180 to get up to his required 16, which brings him to  $580 over budget.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »

Current version of 01v96 is the 01V96i with a street price of $2400 and that gives him only 12 mic inputs.  He'll have to spend another $180 to get up to his required 16, which brings him to  $580 over budget.

The 01V96i can be had for $1,895 new.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

James A. Griffin

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »

I know you guys love your X32's, but don't forget the OP's stated budget.

Oops, The best price I could find on the board I recommended is $2100.00 - I'm over budget too!

X32 Compact just dropped to $1999.      If he wanted to go to the iPad only route, the X32 Rack just dropped to $1199.

Tony Stubbs

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 07:46:22 PM »

+1   

I'm headed to GC and Sam ash this weekend to try and get a little hands on of a few mixers.  I see after reading the posts and what I have read that Behringer must have come a long way since I was in the biz.  Back then they sold alot of different stuff but I always considered them sorta of, need it now, in a pinch, disposable gear, similar to harbor frieght tools. But it seems as if they have really made an effort to take a few steps up over the years.  I really like the feature set of the X32, but worry about reliabillity.  I have owned many Allen Heath consoles, everything from Mix wizzards to thier ML series and all were great desks. Owed a couple Soundcrafts back in the late 70's and early 80's. The old ones were great, but the newer consoles 80's models, seemed to me they lost something, never were the same. Man I remeber way back when a Kelsey was state of the art or the Large knob Peaveys where what everyone was using. Anyway the landscape has really changed in the last 14 years and find myself spending hours just trying to catch up, I really good with computers and software so I'm sure the digital consoles won't be too much of a challenge. But now days there is so much new gear to choose from, all of with is much better than years ago it's hard to choose, I guess I'll just have to jump in the water somewhere and hope the sharks don't get me. 12" inch boxes have also been a real challenge also.  Seems as if everyone makes one and even the name sake companys have so many different models it's mind boogling at times. But I have narrowed that down to two boxes avalible locally to test the QSC kw122 and the Yamaha DSR112. I have always been a heavey EV fan but they have so many different 12 inch boxes t choose from, I finally gave up and threw in the towel.  Subs have been another rodeo, geewizz how many powered single 18 subs can we have to choose from, oh well another story.. I miss my 8 Servo drive subs, to me nothing can stand with them when properly adjusted and setup, they kill small animals at any yardage.  I guess I'll get flamed for that but oh well.

Thanks guys

Tony

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 07:46:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.