ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Variations with different mesaurement mics.  (Read 8458 times)

Timo Beckman

• Rational Acoustics/Isemcon/Fulcrum Acoustic NL
    • Timo Beckman Geluid
Re: Variations with different mesaurement mics.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 03:54:11 AM »

Ugh, I should have thought of that....  Thanks Timo

I had to be remembered also (as you can see in the blog post). You're welcome

Timo Beckman

• Rational Acoustics/Isemcon/Fulcrum Acoustic NL
    • Timo Beckman Geluid
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 07:21:44 PM »

Here is a compare of a matched set of 4 ISEMcon 7150 with correction files loaded.
The scaling is is set at 1db and smoothing is at 1/48.
Compared to the 4007 there's a little boost in the real high end above 10 or 12K but can't be sure since it's not a lab test and the mic capsule on the 4007 is larger so can't get the 7150 as close for a compare as possible with 2 7150's.
Might do the same thing as mark did and see if there's a lot of difference.
In the end it's a pretty good match. :D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:52:54 AM by Timo Beckman »

Chris Tsanjoures

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »

I've got an uncalibrated mic which has a significant peak at the high end.  I would like to get a calibrated mic, but I was trying to work out what differences in performance came with an increase in price.

define 'significant peak at the high end' - it could be that your microphone is a diffuse field mic, which would result in a high end peak on axis. A free field mic would have a filter to compensate for this.

The differences in higher priced mics boil down to its max SPL, dynamic range, self noise, sensitivity, and obviously - what the capsule is made of (the high end mics are metal capsules, where as the lower priced mics are poly). lower priced mics can't handle as much SPL as higher priced, more expensive mics have lower self noise, etc...
I am employed by Rational Acoustics. Besides being a Product Manager for the Smaart Platform, I operate as a fully deployable Smaart Ninja (aka Instructor/System Guy).

Lyle Williams

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »

define 'significant peak at the high end' - it could be that your microphone is a diffuse field mic, which would result in a high end peak on axis. A free field mic would have a filter to compensate for this.

The differences in higher priced mics boil down to its max SPL, dynamic range, self noise, sensitivity, and obviously - what the capsule is made of (the high end mics are metal capsules, where as the lower priced mics are poly). lower priced mics can't handle as much SPL as higher priced, more expensive mics have lower self noise, etc...

To the ear/eye my dBx M2 has a peak.  I found an AES paper that measured this model of mic (and many other better ones) and from the graphs in the paper:

5k  1.0dB
6k  1.4
7k  1.8
8k  2.9
9k  3.6
10k 5.0
16k 6.6
20k 2.0

I have hand-built a cal file from the published graph, but this is unlikely to be a precise fit to the individual mic I have sitting here.

It will be cheaper to buy a calibrated low end mic than to get my low end M2 calibrated.  Thanks for all the advice on what extra $$$ gets me.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.