ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teaching impedance  (Read 3341 times)

David Shriver

• Rockport Music
Teaching impedance
« on: February 06, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »

Hello everyone,

I have a very sharp HS intern.  I was trying to explain impedance to her and I quickly discovered that I understand it well enough for myself but not well enough to really explain it or teach it.  Can someone point me to some resources for teaching this concept?

-d

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Teaching impedance
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:01:34 PM »

Hello everyone,

I have a very sharp HS intern.  I was trying to explain impedance to her and I quickly discovered that I understand it well enough for myself but not well enough to really explain it or teach it.  Can someone point me to some resources for teaching this concept?

-d
It depends on how deep you want to go-but here is a starter.

Resistance is the opposition to the flow of DC current.

Impedance is the opposition to the flow of AC current and has 3 elements-resistance-inductance and capacitance-each which has its own phase aspect.

These 3 will add/subtract together (depending on the phase) to give a final impedance number.

This could be either purely resistive-capacitive or inductive or any combination of them.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »

Hello everyone,

-d

Hi David,

This is 28 minutes long and the very best demonstration that I have seen: http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2011/3/7/AT&T-Archives-Similarities-of-Wave-Behavior

To fully understand impedance, one must understand the fundamentals of wave behavior.  The video shows this brilliantly.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »

Hello everyone,

-d

The "Radio Amateur's Handbook", published by the American Radio Relay League, has about the best treatment I've seen of elementary circuit concepts that does not rely on complex variables (much) or calculus. It hardly matters what edition, they all have the basic circuit stuff.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 12:09:10 AM »

Hi David,

This is 28 minutes long and the very best demonstration that I have seen: http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2011/3/7/AT&T-Archives-Similarities-of-Wave-Behavior

To fully understand impedance, one must understand the fundamentals of wave behavior.  The video shows this brilliantly.

Great stuff, Jason.  Thanks for the link.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 08:51:59 AM »

Jason,

That video was great!  Thanks for the link.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

David Shriver

• Rockport Music
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »

Thanks Jason!!

Hi David,

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:27:18 PM »

" If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough " Albert Einstein...........

Great links for the answer.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:27:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.