ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub Box Coming Apart?  (Read 13832 times)

Justin Smith

Re: Sub Box Coming Apart?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 10:21:45 PM »

You post on a public forum, you takes your chances.  It's up to you to decide if your subwoofer or character is what's broken.  You've been offered advice on how to repair both.

I will offer this final bit:  in the production & entertainment biz, whatever ain't physics is psychology.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

You are right about a public forum, but I am sure that the forum's creator did not make this forum for reasons as such, hence why it is called "ProSoundWeb Community". As said before, you do not know enough about me to judge. I gave you one piece of information and you judged me. If you actually knew me, I am sure you would be thinking the absolute complete opposite of what you are right now. Everyone lies or hides something from their parents at least once. It's part of learning and life. I am sure you have before. I do not appreciate you calling my character immature and what not. I believe that makes you the immature one because you are judging me and don't even know me. The reason dad didn't want me to order it is because of how loud it is for my room. I am moving out in three months and won't have that issue, that is why I hid it from dad, so I could order it now with left over Christmas money instead of three months from now. As said, he wasn't even mad and is helping me package it to return and get a new one. Also, I am not planning on getting into the entertainment business. The only reason I have this equipment is to DJ at some parties throughout college and for my own use, knowing I won't be able to bust the speakers because they are more than I need, as opposed to home theater speakers that I have went through my fair share with. I wish I could delete posts on here sense I am in the process of returning the sub already. I appreciate the advice you are giving me for my future if you are trying to help and not be rude, however, I don't think that gives you the right to judge my character from a forum. Let me learn from my parents punishing me when needed, not from people posting in a forum that can only use words.

Justin Smith

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »

Justin, both Bob and Tim (and Dick) are well-respected esteemed members of this forum. I remember a few years ago when I was trying to get information on flying JBL VRX boxes-- I just wanted to know what gear I needed to make sure the riggers could do their job correctly, and all they could keep telling me was that I needed to consult the riggers. Of course, at that point it would be too late to get the right stuff. It's not that they wanted me to fail; but rather they wanted to make sure I had the right knowledge.

Same deal here. They don't want to raise you, or tell you how to be a kid, but rather let you know how your attitude will reflect upon you in the real world. A lack of ethics/integrity (and yes, misleading or not informing your father about this is reflective of that) will not do you well in the future in live sound. No one here wants to work with someone who is not as good as their word. Trust me on that one.

-Ray, "who lied to/mis-led his parents once upon a time, and now is paying for it by supporting them in paying for the house all 3 of us live in" Aberle

I appreciate the advice, but like I told him, I would rather get the information about my attitude and my punishment from my parents if needed, not from people in a forum that don't truly know me and can only type to me. Again, the post about me hiding it from my dad was never supposed to bring up this much conversation and I should not be judged from it. Nobody here truly knows me and are too quick to judge. If you are trying to give me advice for my future, that's fine, but I don't need to be told that my character is immature because it is most definitely not. Also, I told him that I am not planning on getting into live sound or entertainment in the future, just having some fun throughout college and not being afraid of busting speakers with this kind of equipment.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »

I appreciate the advice, but like I told him, I would rather get the information about my attitude and my punishment from my parents if needed, not from people in a forum that don't truly know me and can only type to me. Again, the post about me hiding it from my dad was never supposed to bring up this much conversation and I should not be judged from it. Nobody here truly knows me and are too quick to judge. If you are trying to give me advice for my future, that's fine, but I don't need to be told that my character is immature because it is most definitely not. Also, I told him that I am not planning on getting into live sound or entertainment in the future, just having some fun throughout college and not being afraid of busting speakers with this kind of equipment.
No problem, we have all been in your shoes, young and wanting to have fun. Remember a couple of things though--
1) If you have fun and learn a bunch with having pro sound gear (shit, dude, I wish I had even that when I was your age, and I am only 34!), it CAN lead into a career in pro audio, even without you seeking it out, and
2) the Interwebz never forgets what is posted on here....

Justin, it sounds like your dad was OK with everything, which is great, but I think you should be appreciative of the efforts made on this forum to help shape your development (and yes, you are right, no one knows the exact details of your situation other then what you share...) as opposed to getting all butt-hurt about it. I would MUCH rather someone who-- well, doesn't even know me, has absolutely no qualms one way or the other-- they take the time to help me. Tim is very well respected on these forums-- his knowledge and experience is second to none. Rather then try to push him away, you may find it advantageous to welcome his knowledge with open arms. "Yeah, you guys are right, I cleared it up with Pops" would have carried yourself much better. You might even find that there are forum members near where you're going to school, and then you suddenly have a resource for learning more and/or otherwise being taken care of for future needs!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 10:44:47 PM »

Thanks for your help! And here's the thing, I am moving out in 3 months or so, so it shouldn't really matter. On top of that, he got me stuff for Christmas to add along to my setup. If he is going to buy me more stuff, why can't I? Lol. But I guess this problem with the box is my punishment. Thanks again for the help.

Justin,
You're trying too hard to justify your actions and your remarks, and in all honesty there is no way you can. If you could you wouldn't have had the subs shipped to your buddies house to begin with.

And Justin, nobody wants to be your second father here, far from it. What's being pointed out is the right path to follow and it's up to you and you alone to follow that path. You're not the first "young" adult to hide the facts from their parents, but you stated you were in a bind and based on experience you were told by a number of us to take the first step by speaking to your father. Now you tell us you have and the world has been proven correct. In the game of life you will be judged by all people for all things. As you are judged be honest enough with yourself to except judgment as intended, admitting when you are wrong, and also admitting you are able to at least see the point in a reply whether you like it or not.
I'm glad you spoke with you're dad and are sending the cabinet back as recommended.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »

You are right about a public forum, but I am sure that the forum's creator did not make this forum for reasons as such, hence why it is called "ProSoundWeb Community". As said before, you do not know enough about me to judge. I gave you one piece of information and you judged me. If you actually knew me, I am sure you would be thinking the absolute complete opposite of what you are right now. Everyone lies or hides something from their parents at least once. It's part of learning and life. I am sure you have before. I do not appreciate you calling my character immature and what not. I believe that makes you the immature one because you are judging me and don't even know me. The reason dad didn't want me to order it is because of how loud it is for my room. I am moving out in three months and won't have that issue, that is why I hid it from dad, so I could order it now with left over Christmas money instead of three months from now. As said, he wasn't even mad and is helping me package it to return and get a new one. Also, I am not planning on getting into the entertainment business. The only reason I have this equipment is to DJ at some parties throughout college and for my own use, knowing I won't be able to bust the speakers because they are more than I need, as opposed to home theater speakers that I have went through my fair share with. I wish I could delete posts on here sense I am in the process of returning the sub already. I appreciate the advice you are giving me for my future if you are trying to help and not be rude, however, I don't think that gives you the right to judge my character from a forum. Let me learn from my parents punishing me when needed, not from people posting in a forum that can only use words.

Actually, Justin, I know the forum's creator.  He's got some heavy weight international touring credentials.  He sold the site and it's community concept several years ago, and it was sold again to the current owners.  Under Dave's hand the Live Audio Board was a no bullshit place, where being demonstrably wrong would get you called out, every time.  Things are much kinder and gentler theses days.  Trust me.

I've developed a pretty good judge of character over the years.  When I've hired the wrong person my boss makes ME do the firing.  I don't like firing people so I try to do better when hiring.  One of the main things our company looks for is integrity.  We work in all kinds of environments: corporate, government, entertainers "you've heard of", etc. and require trustworthiness, discretion and maturity.  Interestingly, most gigs in life worth having value those traits, too.  At any rate, I found your penchant for obfuscation and deception troubling but potentially redeemable.

Another gem of wisdom:  if you DJ frat parties, charge enough to pay 2 sober buddies to help you move your stuff the next morning.  None of the hung over party boys will be helpful.  Trust me.  Again.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:53:18 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 10:52:14 PM »

Justin,
You're trying too hard to justify your actions and your remarks, and in all honesty there is no way you can. If you could you wouldn't have had the subs shipped to your buddies house to begin with.

And Justin, nobody wants to be your second father here, far from it. What's being pointed out is the right path to follow and it's up to you and you alone to follow that path. You're not the first "young" adult to hide the facts from their parents, but you stated you were in a bind and based on experience you were told by a number of us to take the first step by speaking to your father. Now you tell us you have and the world has been proven correct. In the game of life you will be judged by all people for all things. As you are judged be honest enough with yourself to except judgment as intended, admitting when you are wrong, and also admitting you are able to at least see the point in a reply whether you like it or not.
I'm glad you spoke with you're dad and are sending the cabinet back as recommended.
Ugh, Bob is always much more concise and to-the-point then I could ever hope to be. :)

-Ray

thanks to then forum "someone else posted?!? wtf?!?" warning... +2 to Tim. Both in regards to character, and having sober friends to help you with the load out. :D
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Justin Smith

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 11:03:19 PM »

Actually, Justin, I know the forum's creator.  He's got some heavy weight international touring credentials.  He sold the site and it's community concept several years ago, and it was sold again to the current owners.  Under Dave's hand the Live Audio Board was a no bullshit place, where being demonstrably wrong would get you called out, every time.  Things are much kinder and gentler theses days.  Trust me.

I've developed a pretty good judge of character over the years.  When I've hired the wrong person my boss makes ME do the firing.  I don't like firing people so I try to do better when hiring.  On of the main things our company looks for is integrity.  We work in all kinds of environments: corporate, government, entertainers "you've heard of", etc. and require trustworthiness, discretion and maturity.  Interestingly, most gigs in life worth having value those traits, too.  At any rate, I found your penchant for obfuscation and deception troubling but potentially redeemable.

Another gem of wisdom:  if you DJ frat parties, charge enough to pay 2 sober buddies to help you move your stuff the next morning.  None of the hung over party boys will be helpful.  Trust me.  Again.

Again, thanks for the advice, but as I said, if you actually knew me in person, you would not be thinking what you are about me at the moment. In fact, I think you would be finding many of those qualities you look for in hiring people, in me, despite what you have learned about me in this forum thus far. I actually had told my mom about everything I ordered before I got it, therefore, I wasn't completely hiding it from both parents. Anyway, I am not in this forum to argue so moving on.

That is very good idea for the frat parties (lol by the way) and in fact, at the last party I DJed at, that is just what I did. Definetly saved me. Equipment is not light and I have yet to get a rackcase for my amps, crossover, etc. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 11:11:23 PM »

Screws alone in particle board isn't a good idea.  Reinforce, glue and clamp if possible, or glue and screw if necessary.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 11:11:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.