ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: relaying audio over internet  (Read 7856 times)

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
relaying audio over internet
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »

I got an interesting phone call enquiry tonight. Protest meeting...but the organisers want the speech relayed from the centre of the town down to a gathering area approximately 0.75 miles away. Rather than running a cable (which would involve crossing a four lane road, and a river, I am thinking of using an internet link for the audio. Its speech only, so it doesnt need to be the upmost quality.

Could you do this using JACK? or Shoutcast. I know it can be done....but looking some pointers on how to do this?
Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: relaying audio over internet
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:04:22 PM »

Ships ahoy matey!  Pull out the eye patch and wooden leg and see if you can figure out the easiest way to get the audio there.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »

Done all the time. Look to Microsoft my son and be saved.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:15:08 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:23:14 PM »

I got an interesting phone call enquiry tonight. Protest meeting...but the organisers want the speech relayed from the centre of the town down to a gathering area approximately 0.75 miles away. Rather than running a cable (which would involve crossing a four lane road, and a river, I am thinking of using an internet link for the audio. Its speech only, so it doesnt need to be the upmost quality.

Could you do this using JACK? or Shoutcast. I know it can be done....but looking some pointers on how to do this?

I use Shoutcast all the time for radio remotes, but you need to set up an account with someone hosting Shoutcast servers.  They are not expensive, but it does take time to set up.

On the other hand, Nicecast for Mac allows you to use your Mac as its own server.  You can just log in to the Mac itself as "local host".
I do not often do this, but it is theoretically possible depending on how clever and persistent you are with Macs.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:25:35 PM »

A Danley Jericho JH90 would get the sound there...

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »

I use Shoutcast all the time for radio remotes, but you need to set up an account with someone hosting Shoutcast servers.  They are not expensive, but it does take time to set up.

On the other hand, Nicecast for Mac allows you to use your Mac as its own server.  You can just log in to the Mac itself as "local host".
I do not often do this, but it is theoretically possible depending on how clever and persistent you are with Macs.

Yea I have been trying Nicecast...seem a simple enough piece of kit. Can get it to work fine when I'm on the same network...having a small bit of bother when the two devices are on different networks though...we will work through it :)
Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »

A Danley Jericho JH90 would get the sound there...

haha i don't think the residents of the town would appreciate 150dB-SPL been blasted at them  :P

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »

Yea I have been trying Nicecast...seem a simple enough piece of kit. Can get it to work fine when I'm on the same network...having a small bit of bother when the two devices are on different networks though...we will work through it :)

If you know anyone who's running a server and has space, they can set up to host for you on Shoutcast.  I use my Shoutcast server and feed it from Nicecast/Icecast on a Mac.  It works better than the PC setup (for me, anyhow) and is more flexible.  Little things like setting the frequency can be done on the Mac but not on the free setup available for PC.

Good luck. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »

If you know anyone who's running a server and has space, they can set up to host for you on Shoutcast.  I use my Shoutcast server and feed it from Nicecast/Icecast on a Mac.  It works better than the PC setup (for me, anyhow) and is more flexible.  Little things like setting the frequency can be done on the Mac but not on the free setup available for PC.

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, how does your shoutcast setup audio quality compare to an ISDN line?

- Tony Williams

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 02:39:26 AM »

Just out of curiosity, how does your shoutcast setup audio quality compare to an ISDN line?

- Tony Williams
This, and won't ISDN be more stable... We got crappy broadband here in South Africa so if you want something like this ISDN is the only option...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 02:39:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.